4 Seasons roof vent in Windsor c'van

Submitted: Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 13:53
ThreadID: 117048 Views:1373 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day
We are in Yungaburra experiencing very wet weather.
Last night Murphy struck and water started to leak through our air con and one ceiling light.
I discovered that our 4 seasons roof vent had a problem: one metal end has let go at the top. It will still wind out and I can manually hold it in place to effect a partial seal.
Has anybody had a similar problem?
Do I need to buy a whole new 4 season vent or something that will fit into the roof hole?
I have thought of getting up on the roof (when the rain stops) and using some 100mphour tape but she who must be obeyed doesn't think that is an option.
Any ideas?
Regards
PeterM Qld
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bigfish - Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 15:56

Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 15:56
The tape will get you out of trouble temporarily. In Cairns at the moment and as you say its bucketing down still. There is a caravan dealer on town. Might pay to ring around and get advice. Yungaburra is only an hours drive away..

cheers
AnswerID: 549912

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 16:48

Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 16:48
I have had a similar experience with the 4 seasons hatch on our previous van.

If it is the aluminium type

The flap slips out of its guide track at one end. It can be put back but you need plenty of patience and time to do it properly. Don't attempt it if you are under pressure to get it done quickly.

When you get some really dry weather get up there and see what is required to make it stay in its track. I think the track opens up, after some time and use, and merely needs closing with pliers or something I suppose.

That is as best I can recall as it was a few years ago.

Another thing I have heard of from a mate is the air conditioner leaking in his Jayco Sterling. Turns out all the clamping bolts were loose. He just tightened them up and the leak stopped. These are accessible from the inside of the van when you drop the airco surround. This may be applicable in your case also.

Once water is inside the roof cavity it will travel and lead you up the garden path as to where the problem is emanating from so try the airco first in that case.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 549917

Follow Up By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 15, 2015 at 09:27

Sunday, Mar 15, 2015 at 09:27
Thank you again
Yes the bolts are accessible from inside and yes two of them were looser than the other two.
I was surprised at the amount of water laying in that area. But I have now dried that up and will leave the cover off for a couple of days to help dry out the timber surrounds etc.
Today the sun is shining and Cyclone Nathan is moving out to sea hopefully it will not join up with that monster called Pam.
If the weather remains fine I will get up on the roof tomorrow and look at the 4 seasons vent too.
Regards " stay well & stay safe"
PeterM Qld
FollowupID: 835384

Sponsored Links