Touring upper Murray. Info wanted

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 17:09
ThreadID: 11706 Views:2087 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I am planning a few weeks camping down the Murray River in early May, starting near the alpine areas.
I am looking for sources of information about camping sites (unpowered) and interesting places to visit. Are there useful books, tourist info etc. which will help?
Vehicle is a Mazda Bravo 4WD ute set up for 2 people. No trailer.

Thanks, Phil.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 17:30

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 17:30
Phil. Drop into the tourist imformation office at Yarrawonga. They sell a cheap set of hand drawn maps in book form of the Murray River showing every track, beach, toilet and camp site from Yarrawonga through to the Barmah Forrest. Great value.
Allow plenty of time around Echuca as there is lots to do there. Craig................
AnswerID: 52677

Follow Up By: phil - Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 18:15

Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 18:15
Thanks for the suggestions. I will check them out.
Phil
FollowupID: 314743

Reply By: madcow - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 20:59

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 20:59
Phil there are heaps of areas to camp heading downstream with the Murray, A couple that come to mind are Clarkes Reserve, Neils Reserve and Burrowye reserve. All have no power or any other faclilities for that matter and are excellent. You can if you wish camp just below the pub at Jingellic (free) with cold showers available and great swimming or near the pub at Tintaldra. All can get pretty busy during peak times but take your rod and have a great time. You can drive along the NSW side of the Murray from Jingellic and check out the old Dora Dora pub which has sadly been renovated and has lost all of it's character. You can only look through the windows now. If the Hume weir levels still permit you can get back across to the Vic side via the Wymah Ferry which only carries 2 cars at a time and is free. Check at the tourist info sites locally to see if it is still running. We used it about 7 weeks ago and the level would have dropped since then.
Cheers
AnswerID: 52718

Follow Up By: madcow - Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 08:37

Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 08:37
Phil, I read yesterdays paper a day late and the Wymah ferry I mentioned is now no longer running as the Hume Weir level has dropped to a point that it is not manageable to operate.

Cheers
FollowupID: 314576

Follow Up By: phil - Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 18:17

Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 18:17
Thanks for your advice. Just the sort of thing I was hoping to get!
I rand the Albury Visitor centre and the girl there told me that there was absolutely no free camping anywhere except National Parks!
Phil
FollowupID: 314744

Sponsored Links