79 series L/C Headlight upgrade

Hi All
I need to do something about the headlights in my 79 series to improve them tried different globes very minimal difference.
Looking at the Piranha Super loom seems to make sense to up grade wiring ??
Has any one got them/using the super loom and are they as good as claimed by Piranha.
Your feed back appreciated
Safe Travels
Barry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 18, 2015 at 12:51

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2015 at 12:51
I reckon a couple of kero lamps would be an improvement over mine!
AnswerID: 551155

Follow Up By: Barry 2 - Wednesday, Mar 18, 2015 at 14:53

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2015 at 14:53
Hey Leigh
Can you still buy them ?? Ha Ha
Couldn't agree more, can't believe I have put up with them for so long !!
FollowupID: 836613

Reply By: Mick O - Wednesday, Mar 18, 2015 at 13:29

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2015 at 13:29
G'dasy Barry,

There was something about this over on the LCool forum. I’d been considering upgrading my 79 series headlights to HID inserts. There is an issue with the power regulation on the modern cars that require some form of voltage regulator to accompany any light upgrade.

Found it;

Note: Toyota Landcruiser 40, 60 & 70 Series Models from 1986 - current models will require the following Module to fix High Beam issue, as the factory computer requires a certain load on the globes, as the factory unit supply 100w and the HID kit is a 55w Unit this module is required in order for the High Beam indicator on the dash to operate and also if your planning on using after market driving lights.

The HID kits were these: HID Insert on ebay

I'd just make sure that the Piranha loom covers off on this as well.

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 551156

Follow Up By: Barry 2 - Wednesday, Mar 18, 2015 at 14:45

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2015 at 14:45
Thanks Mick
I'll check the Lcool site.
Piranha have a " Circuit completer " for extra $$$$ to rectify the problem. I looked at HID upgrade due to being illegal I decided not to pursue that idea.
Luckily as 2 weeks ago I was pulled over for a roadworthy check near home and after 4 cops spent 1/2 hr looking all over my L/C I got a Defect notice put on windscreen for a crack in windscreen and a blown globe in L/H blinker in bullbar (I had a spare globe but wouldn't let me change it on site ) and a caution to remove a 1/2 inch bolt that was only protruding 10mm on the top of bullbar that I use for a sand flag. Danger to pedestrians !!!!! Fisho's better watch out with the rod holder brackets.
Also I had to remove driving lights that had covers because one light had a small hole in the lens but was still fully functional ??
Hardly life threatening issues compared to some vehicles on the road.
Sorry I digress. Winge over.
Cheers
Barry
FollowupID: 836612

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Mar 18, 2015 at 14:45

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2015 at 14:45
I've had both Piranha and ARB h/duty wiring looms fitted to my 79 & 80 series vehicles.

On the 80, was able to fit good quality lenses, and upped the inner(high beam) to 100w, and outer one to 100/90w. Much better! On the ute, have fitted Hella lenses, and upped the globes to 100/90w too. Try using these high wattage lamps without the h/d loom and you'll quickly burn out the dipper switch. Changed from halogen to 35w HID hi/Lo beam some years ago, and they are very good. Rarely get "flashed" as I've adjusted the lights down a fair bit to reduce any unsociable glare.

If you were to fit the HID lamps per Mick's reply, I wouldn't bother with the h/d loom. It won't make any difference to the final output.....they are just bloody bright!!!

Even with these good headlights, if you're travelling a fair bit at night, a set of driving lights of your choice are still a must. The headlights don't quite cut it for spread and depth of vision.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 551160

Follow Up By: Barry 2 - Wednesday, Mar 18, 2015 at 15:02

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2015 at 15:02
Thanks Bob
Was the improvement in light with the Loom and upgraded globes worth the extra $$$$.
Re the HID as I answered mick.
Driving lights I am looking at Frylite or Lightforce Halogen can't decide ??
Budget only stretches that far.

Cheers
Barry
FollowupID: 836614

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Mar 18, 2015 at 19:29

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2015 at 19:29
Thought they made a marked difference, though it was nothing like 30 - 50% increase in illumination. The ability to use the highest wattage globes available without compromising the dipping switch was the big plus. We had ALL lights go out @ 100 kph, on an HJ60 once because the auxiliary lights had been installed incorrectly, and overloaded the dip switch.....not something you'd need to happen more than once.

Fyrlite seem to be the go, Brian. Intense light from a halogen!!!

Your coppers must be a bit more officious than ours? Was coming out of Longreach about 5.30 one morning, and was pulled up by Task Force, working at Thomson River, to catch any naughty truck drivers, druggies etc etc. Pulled up, license check & breath check: "How do you like the HID's" asked an older officer" "Good" says I. "Much brighter, and better vision". He just smiled and walked away. Probably just letting me know he was on my case.

Re h/d wiring, much depends how many $$$$$ they have on a kit now?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 836629

Follow Up By: Barry 2 - Wednesday, Mar 18, 2015 at 20:23

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2015 at 20:23
H/D loom and circuit completer around the $300 mark
FollowupID: 836633

Reply By: jamesw - Wednesday, Mar 18, 2015 at 16:48

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2015 at 16:48
A Piranha wiring loom upgrade with good replacement inserts, Hella or Narva and upgraded globes is the correct and legal way to go.This is what I have done on my 80Series and the results are very good. Add a LED light bar, legal now with an ADR change, and you have a good setup. Retro fitting HID globes is not legal in any state, although people do it. And, road authorities are cracking down on it now with hefty fines too. Do the HID fit at your own risk.

James
AnswerID: 551165

Follow Up By: Barry 2 - Wednesday, Mar 18, 2015 at 19:42

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2015 at 19:42
Thanks James
I think that will be the way to go.
I prefer to stay legal.
Cheers
Barry
FollowupID: 836630

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Mar 18, 2015 at 17:34

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2015 at 17:34
Surely the simplest effective answer is to leave the existing headlamps in place and add a pair of HID or LED driving lights.
Choose driving light spread to suit your needs and wire them via a relay and separate direct wiring arranged to switch off when dipping.
This has the added benefit of still having the original headlights as backup in the event of a driving light failure and does not upset any original arrangements.
No need to overdo the power. The 35W HID's on my Troopy work fine as superior headlights.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 551169

Follow Up By: Barry 2 - Wednesday, Mar 18, 2015 at 19:44

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2015 at 19:44
Thanks Alan
gives me something else to consider
Cheers
Barry
FollowupID: 836631

Reply By: mountainman - Wednesday, Mar 18, 2015 at 18:33

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2015 at 18:33
I done the IPF upgrade.
loom, lenses and globes ..
very happy for around 330 quite a few years ago.
on a hj47 too great upgrade.
easily fitted up myself in a couple hours.
AnswerID: 551172

Follow Up By: Barry 2 - Wednesday, Mar 18, 2015 at 20:26

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2015 at 20:26
Thanks Mountainman
I like to keep it simple.
FollowupID: 836634

Follow Up By: mountainman - Wednesday, Mar 18, 2015 at 21:47

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2015 at 21:47
It was simple.
hooks up to your battery posts.
piggybacks onto your headlight loom.
no soldering. Simple and never ever had one issue with the kit.
because I installed it but the product has been faultless.
only thing was it blows a globe now and then.. at 45 a globe.
Every few years.
Sometimes I think it blows them both within a few weeks of swapping them over.
Upgraded globes are 175 a pair.
but im not ready to spent that sort of stupid money.
and only comes in 2packs.
soo no single
FollowupID: 836637

Sponsored Links