Anne Beadell Track/Hwy

Has anyone heard of any one (pardon the pun) taking a caravan off/road or on/road on the Track and of any consequences suffered.
In the late 90's an aquaintance of mine was heading east on the track in a 4 car convoy to see Lake Eyre in flood, and came across a fella driving a Holden Statesman and a caravan heading west. They stopped to have a talk but the driver kept on going.

I was tempted to do the same with a Coromal off/road version next year, we have used the van and made our own tracks through the bush NE of Leonora, when my map reading skills failed me temporarily ;o)) but never had any dramas on coragations at all except when Mary left the fridge door open, ha ha.

thanks for any input received
It is only when you see mosquito land on your testicles that you find another way to solve problems without violence

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Thursday, Mar 19, 2015 at 21:36

Thursday, Mar 19, 2015 at 21:36
Yep,

there are a few abandoned by the track out there. Someone will post the photos shortly I'm sure.

Mate I was on the ABH last year and it's a nightmare. Very enclosed, rough and unsuited to towing most things. We sheered the stub axle off a very robust camper trailer along the way.

Even at the slowest, most careful speeds possible, you will take an unimaginable pounding.

Cheers

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 551228

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Mar 19, 2015 at 23:57

Thursday, Mar 19, 2015 at 23:57
Hi Maric

It depends on how well set up your van is and do you want it to be in one piece at the end.

In 2010 when Fiona and I were solo on the Anne Beadell Highway, we were joined after the third day by 2 other vehicles, one town a true off road compared the other one with a van converted to a so called off road van.

To cut a long story short, the van suffered a lot of damage going across the Anne Beadell and had lots of work on it at Coober Pedy. There was more serious damage than they thought there was and from Port Augusta, it had to be trucked back to Western Australia where the couple lived. I kept in contact with them and the damage was that great, the Insurance Company wrote the van off, as it would have cost more to repair than what it was worth.

We also came across a failed Jayco that had only been there for 3 weeks from the receipts inside. The same wan was still there in 2012 and 2014 when we were there again.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 551232

Reply By: MARIC - Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 00:31

Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 00:31
A big thank you to Mick and Stephen, that was what worried me, the side clearances with the bushes damaging the sides and the awnings.

We will leave the van at home and use our 30 Second Oz Tent, with our 2014 dual cab landcruiser.
Cheers
Ric
It is only when you see mosquito land on your testicles that you find another way to solve problems without violence

AnswerID: 551234

Follow Up By: Phil and Lis - Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 10:29

Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 10:29
Hi Maric,

We are looking at upgrading our current tow vehicle to something a little more robust and the LC70 dual cab is on the list. How do you find it?

We have heard numerous stories of people buying 3.5t tow vehicles, only to have spend thousands on upgrades (ie suspension) to just tow 2t!

We just want something that will do what the brochure says it will do, out of the box!!

Any help given is much appreciated.

Phil and Lis
FollowupID: 836728

Follow Up By: The Landy - Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 10:39

Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 10:39
Hi Phil & Lis

We have an LC 79 Series Dual Cab, not quite “out of the box” but it is a great vehicle and serves our requirements well.

I’ve put some more detail in this Blog.

Land Cruiser 79 Series Dual Cab

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
FollowupID: 836729

Follow Up By: MARIC - Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 23:57

Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 23:57
Hi Phil and Lis,
Only 7500k's on the clock, very impressed with it.
some changes to O/E
Tyres 285 instead of 265, reasoning at approx 100kph revs fairly high 2500rpm plus. Three inch stainless steal exhaust
Suspension upgraded to Bilstein shocks and King progressive heavy duty springs which made heaps of difference.
Fuel consumption not bad for a V8, towing van nearly 2.9ton 17l/100ks

Did 19/100 for a short trip about 60ks towing van and found that the emergency caravan break away brakes were on ..... Ooops
Compressor and Air tank , winch on front HF and UHF radio an comes with a cook and bottle wash, .... the wife - she loves it.
I can recommend it tried to download photo but would'nt have a clue how to will try again, no good I have to be a paid member
cheers Ric

FollowupID: 836793

Reply By: The Landy - Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 07:54

Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 07:54
Hi Ric

We travelled the Anne Beadell and Sandy Blight Junction tracks last year with our TVAN.

Whilst we experienced no problems it is worth noting the closeness of the vegetation as highlighted in previous responses, and also in parts the tracks is quite winding (s-bends) which would make travel with a caravan more challenging.

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
AnswerID: 551239

Sponsored Links