Caravan box step

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 19, 2015 at 20:49
ThreadID: 117128 Views:2324 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone ever seen, or heard of, a box step suitable to sit inside a caravan door well? Ideally this would be a removable aluminium box to sit level with the floor of the van at night time (for safety) and used as an outdoor step in the day time?

Geoff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: AnneC5 - Thursday, Mar 19, 2015 at 20:55

Thursday, Mar 19, 2015 at 20:55
La Vista caravans have them, shaped to fit snugly in the step. You may be able to find an image online.
AnswerID: 551223

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 00:00

Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 00:00
A bit of simple carpentry; any home handyman could make on out of lightweight timber.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 551233

Follow Up By: disco driver - Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 11:23

Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 11:23
You need a 2.4m length of treated pine or similar timber decking, a 600mm length of 150x50mm treated pine or similar and a packet of external quality wood screws about 50mm in length.

Hand tools needed are hand/power saw, and a screw driver suitable for the screws previously mentioned.
Cut the decking into pieces around 12mm shorter than the width of the caravan door, cut the 600mm length in half.
set it up so that the 300x50mm pieces are about 50-70mm are set back from the ends of the decking and screw the decking lengths to the upright base timber. To stabilise the structure screw a couple of lengths of decking to the front of the work. Drill a couple of finger holes in the decking and then paint or oil the whole lot.

There you now have a simple step which infills the space inside the door when not in use

Simple.

Disco.
FollowupID: 836732

Follow Up By: Member -GraySand - Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 16:58

Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 16:58
Hi Geoff
We use a green reticulation box . These are available at any retic store or Bunning's etc. and cost around $25- $30. They are very strong (you wont fall thru them) and stable on any ground. They can be left out in any weather, and will fit neatly in the step of the caravan when travelling. We have had ousr for over 8 years and still looks good.
We also use it with our camper trailer.
Hope this helps

Happy travels
Graham
FollowupID: 836762

Follow Up By: new boy - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 16:38

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 16:38
First up I,m no carpentry expert but I did make my step .I cannot remember the dimesions but used mostly scrap wood and made a box with hinged lid covered in boating deck carpet for grip and into which I store my hammer ,awning tie downs ,steel pegs, plyers,stanley knife and odds and sods .It will not fit in the step well but sits on the mat above and doesn,t move. The reason I didn,t make for the step well is two fold 1. not good enough to round the edges and 2 it would be to narrow .We found with version one you had to be very carefull where you put your feet as it was to narrow and we tended to slip off, this one our whole foot can fit on the box making much safer.
I have a freind who also uses the retriculation box I can,t remeber how it,s done but he has checker plate lid on hinges thus making a storage box .
FollowupID: 836918

Sponsored Links