dp chip 3lt common rail patrol

Submitted: Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 17:38
ThreadID: 117143 Views:2892 Replies:11 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
hello all, have a 2009 3ltr common rail patrol and considering fitting a DPchip. claimed increase from 118 to 136kw and 380 to 428 nm. has anyone any experience with this chip. I tow a caravan and needs a bit more towing power. would it effect duability etc. I wonder if ,all that is required is a bit of fine tuning, why the car manufactures don,t incorporate it in there design
THANKS BILL
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 18:00

Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 18:00
I suppose they set the vehicle up for a conservative power level and longevity! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 551278

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 18:02

Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 18:02
That doesn't mean that you have to dial it up to ten, flat out. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 836764

Reply By: Bigfish - Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 19:01

Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 19:01
Michael is right. Motor vehicle manufacture engines for a world wide audience. They could easily build that motor to put out say 150kw. However as they also provide a warranty they build a engine that will be reliable, under stressed and thus save millions in claims. You can certainly chip the motor. Giving it more power means that it needs more fuel. It also means that parts are now more stressed, revved out more and probably more heat generated. I have heard some really good results from Chips and I have read of a lot of bad experiences.
I do believe that an exhaust upgrade should be part of the package too.
As you will be spending up big on a Chip I reckon you should go to the Patrol forum and seek info there.

AnswerID: 551280

Follow Up By: Stephen_L - Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 19:29

Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 19:29
I have 2008 GU and put in a DPchip about 4 weeks ago and about a week prior to that I had a 3 inch exhaust installed.

The exhaust made a remarkable difference, to be honest I was really quite surprised, I would describe the engine as being more responsive, especially in low gears at low revs.

I didn't notice as big a difference with the chip but in saying that I haven't really given it a good run yet just local driving too and from work. The difference the exhaust upgrade made was more immediately noticeable. There was some noticeable improvement at higher revs. Worth $1400? not really sure.

I wasn't going to get the chip as they are expensive but found one on ebay second hand at a great price and noted that on the DPchip website they offer a service to check out and update firmware on chips that are bought second hand. Not bad considering a lot of manufactures don't really want to know about their goods when you get one second hand.

Cheers
Stephen

FollowupID: 836767

Reply By: Slow one - Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 21:06

Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 21:06
Bill,
manufacturers have to work within the emission laws and also be able to update the power output of their engines as time goes by, this also has to allow for the reliability of their engines.

The 3" exhaust manufacturers often will use no catalytic converters or mufflers and maybe a reduced amount of cells in the cat as they don't have to comply with rules. This also goes for the removal of egr and dpf units in the vehicles.

Chip manufactures offer a warranty and this is fine for the failure of their chip but not for the failure of the engine.

I believe dp is a reputable chip but many will extract bulk horsepower out of an engine and there is always going to be a cost, and that cost is BANG. What you should do is install an EGT gauge that tells you what is happening inside the engine when loaded. Most trucks have them to monitor what is happening.
AnswerID: 551295

Reply By: Mick O - Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 22:31

Friday, Mar 20, 2015 at 22:31
Bill, there are many threads on the site regarding this topic. I'd also suggest a look at the Patrol 4x4 forum as well. You'll find it interesting.

I had the three litre grenade with a DP chip and an exhaust. Lest you wish to slag out the number four piston I'd suggest that any move to put in a chip needs to be part of a comprehensive package which would include a 3" exhaust and also an EGT and Boost gauges.

Mine went boom. You need to realise that these plug and play type chips get you the extra power simply by dumping extra fuel into the motor. The result is extra pressure, gases and HEAT!. If you can't get rid of that effectively from the motor, and/or monitor that effectively, you'll be headed for disaster.

How about taking the vehicle to a known diesel expert and having some time spent tuning it more effectively on a dyno. Cheaper and a safer result.

If you're keen on the chip, look at the options other than a standard plug and play like the DP. There are three types, fuel pulse, fuel rail and integrated. I've found the latter to be the best.

Cheers

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 551303

Reply By: bluefella - Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 08:52

Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 08:52
Bill
Give UNICHIP a ring, not the cheapest on the market but the are in my opinion the best.

AnswerID: 551311

Reply By: Member - mike g2 - Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 11:45

Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 11:45
Hi bill, may not apply to patrol, but both Nissan....I had a new d22 navara 2.5 TD and it was a bit low on pull power ( like you)with my jayco. asked local tune up dealer about options such as chip, gas/diesel inj mix, etc.... Now they can say yes 'goforit' and its $ to them, but this one said that the navara is already tuned out to about max by manufact and I wouldn't get more . gas mix runs hotter and therefore engine life reduced . also considered exhaust upgrade with high capacity ( racing ) air filter. I believe the engine management system senses all the various components and would only adjust fuel ( reduce) to suit air ( increased)and have no overall increase in power. no matter what, costs can be in the thousands ( local qoute to chip) unless you buy on net and self install- ? take a risk.
a reset tune by N. dealer seemed to help a bit, try reduce your van contents( tow weight) . is that model a turbo? look at option of adding one .
MG.
AnswerID: 551322

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 15:10

Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 15:10
Hey Bill, I have a 3lt and by and far the best accessory is a 3" exhaust, I had a chip and mine also went bang. I wouldn't chip the new engine for that reason. I have the EGT now and wish I had had it back then, as nursing your engine is counter intuitive I reckon, what makes it heat up surprised me.

Also if someone tries to sell you a high flow K&N oil type filter say nay, the oil droplets clag one of the sensors which also leads to a early demise.

I have tried the lot and the exhaust is THE best thing I have tried.

Bonz

Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 551337

Reply By: peterdre - Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 07:52

Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 07:52
Spot on Bonz. 3" exhaust on a 3 litre Colorado improves things just fine! Am interested on your EGR?
Pedro
AnswerID: 551367

Reply By: Member - Nutta - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 22:09

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 22:09
I used to have a 3.0l gu, i put the 3" exhaust on it and it definitely made a difference down low, but towing on the highway I'm sure was worse for overtaking.

I've heard the smaller exhaust creates a bit of back pressure and keeps the torque higher, maybe rubbish though.

I also put a chip in it but don't think it made a lot of difference.
AnswerID: 551509

Reply By: Corncob - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2015 at 19:21

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2015 at 19:21
Don"t use a DP ,go for a Steinbauer ,these chips work on the pulse to the injectors not the increase on fuel pressure,but and there always is one ,the C/R patrol if fitted with a chip ,most of the time just blows more black smoke with little increase in power.
AnswerID: 551556

Reply By: Member - Bentaxle - Friday, Mar 27, 2015 at 19:19

Friday, Mar 27, 2015 at 19:19
Bill also install a Dawes valve, this will help in reducing any turbo over boost, I'd fit a Steinbauer chip rather than a DP chip and have it dyno'd after fitting
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 551681

Sponsored Links