Kimberly,where to stay and what to see with a dog and two stuffed knee

Hi all
Im taking off next month and wish to spend time in the Kimberly in late May and June.
Yes i wish to miss the school holidays.My current thinking is Daly Waters Hotel,Top Springs,Kalkarndji(wave hill),Old Halls Creek,Cockburn Rest Area,Wyndham,Home Valley Station,Drysdale River.Is there anywhere to stay at Honeymoon Beach or Crystal Head?
From there i will find places to stay on my way to Derby,any suggestions?I cant stay at Nat parks because of my dog.The places i am hoping people suggest to see has to be close to the parking area because i can not walk far.Time is not a problem.Thanks all for your help.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: vk1dx - Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 16:52

Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 16:52
Stuart, I sympathise with you wanting to take your best friend. I can't provide any park access information for any of the parks up there but I have found a list that may help you and others address each one. Someone out there will no doubt know the details.

All the iconic places we visited are in those parks.

But maybe we should let our learned friends firstly tell us where you can take Gunny.

A top spot mate.

AnswerID: 551345

Follow Up By: Member - Stuart and Gunny - Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 17:03

Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 17:03
hi vk1dx
you have not left the list
thanks mate
FollowupID: 836814

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 18:31

Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 18:31
Hows this, from Wikipedia at: Kimberley (Western Australia)

The largest protected areas are the Prince Regent Nature Reserve and the Drysdale River National Park along with Gregory National Park and Keep River National Park across in the Northern Territory which preserve similar habitats, (and indeed Keep River's nearest town is Kununurra in the Kimberley).

The Kimberley is a popular tourist destination, with areas such as the Bungle Bungle, the Gibb River Road, Lake Argyle, El Questro Station, Mornington Sanctuary, Horizontal Falls and Cape Leveque. The Gibb River Road and the road into the Bungle Bungles can at times be accessed in a two-wheel drive car, although one can access many additional areas in a four-wheel drive vehicle.

Other parks in the region include Geikie Gorge National Park, Mirima National Park, Mitchell River National Park, Point Coulomb National Park, Purnululu National Park, Tunnel Creek National Park, Windjana Gorge National Park and Wolfe Creek Meteorite Crater National ParkIn 2012 the Western Australian government announced the creation of the 7,062 square kilometre Camden Sound Marine Park with a further three more to come.
FollowupID: 836818

Follow Up By: Member - Stuart and Gunny - Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 19:17

Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 19:17
thanks mate
FollowupID: 836821

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 08:24

Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 08:24
All those places above are National Parks, no dogs allowed.
FollowupID: 836840

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 18:43

Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 18:43
There are several spots at Honeymoon Beach right on the beach.
Need a boat (or a friend who has one) for the best fishing though.....

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 551351

Follow Up By: Member - Stuart and Gunny - Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 19:19

Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 19:19
Great pics Peter.How was the fishing and was there many other campers up there?Thanks
FollowupID: 836822

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 20:10

Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 20:10
Was a couple of years back, but there were usually 6 or 8 other camps, but mostly up the top, 50m away. Down on the beach there were usually only 2 or 3 others.

If you have a boat, the fishing is spectacular once you learn about where to go.
There is also fantastic country and islands to explore from the water.
Easy to spend a couple of months.....

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 836828

Follow Up By: Member - Stuart and Gunny - Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 22:52

Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 22:52
Peter great pics thanks for your help
FollowupID: 836833

Follow Up By: snow - Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 08:54

Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 08:54
Terrific pics and spot!
FollowupID: 836843

Reply By: Member - peter w2 (VIC) - Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 19:28

Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 19:28
Hi Stuart and Hello Gunny from Cody..I am departing Melb. heading up the central qld rds Mitchell/Landsborough Hwys end of april/may for Lake Argyle ACC meeting end of July.Plan on diverting to Normanton/Borroloola and other places for a look see..I rely on Wikicamps and Caravancaravan for my planning, Like u i have a dog Border Collie so cant do the nat parks,dont care really,,, rather have the dog,,,, and like u i have two stuffed knees ,mostly they just slow me down and have to take it easy so they dont get too inflamed. If u want info re Wikicamps and caravancaravan just go to google the wiki app costs $5,,,, caravan is free c u on the road one day Peter
AnswerID: 551353

Follow Up By: Member - Stuart and Gunny - Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 22:51

Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 22:51
Hi Peter
If you get a chance when your at Borroola try and stay at King Ash Bay Fisherman's Club it is a great place to relax and everything is well priced.$22 per night or $80 per week.Beer is $5 per can and the meals are fair in price to.If you help them out a bit each day they will adjust the fee you pay.
The other place which is near there and has plenty to see and do is Lorella Springs.That would be one of the best stations i have stayed at.Camp fee for memory is $22 dollars non power per/night.Beer $8 per can,fuel $ 3 per ltr,internet reception $15 per day.Bloody deer but there is stacks to see and do.Great place you could spend a week there just doing things.
Good luck and have a great trip.Stuart
FollowupID: 836832

Reply By: Member - tommo05 - Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 19:50

Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 19:50
Hi Stuart

I'm sure I don't need to tell you this, but keep Gunny close to make sure he doesn't find any 1080 baits. I used to live up that way and I had a few mates who lost dogs to those things.

Are you planning to head down the Gibb or sticking to the highway?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 551354

Follow Up By: Member - Stuart and Gunny - Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 22:55

Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 22:55
Thanks Tommo
I have herd about that but my dog is never of a lead.I intend to go down the Gibb
FollowupID: 836834

Reply By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 20:04

Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 20:04
Hann River crossing, a bit over 50k south of the Kalumburu T/O. On the right before you cross the river. Camp on top of river bank.
AnswerID: 551355

Follow Up By: Member - Stuart and Gunny - Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 22:58

Saturday, Mar 21, 2015 at 22:58
Thanks Tony that is one place i will have a look at
FollowupID: 836835

Reply By: Rangiephil - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 13:29

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 13:29
You should be aware that on the GRR nearly all of the gorges/attractions require a considerable walk over rough country.
The exception is probably Galvin's Gorge which is about 1 Km from the road and flat , except when we went past at 10AM last year AFAIR there were 2 tour buses and 6 cars, for a pool the size of a swimming pool.
Bell Gorge is not too bad , but Manning Gorge is a long rough up and down walk from the carpark including a deep river crossing. You used to be able to use coolite boxes there to push your clothes over the river but I think someone told me that they now have boats.
El Questro is worthwhile seeing and the hot springs there are relatively easy to get to.

Emma Gorge which is part of El Questro but across the GRR , is a rough scramble for a couple of kilometres, but I did see about a 90 year old on crutches do it! ( but he had a couple of pushers.)

It is worth hiring an electric boat to travel through the gorge, but again you have to lift the battery into the boat which is an awkward 30Kg..

Mt Elizabeth Station has a lovely gorge but it is a real 4x4 track to it, and the walk in used to include a couple of domestic aluminium ladders down into the gorge.

My wife said that we are fortunate to have done all the GRR in our 60s as she is unsure whether she would be able to do them in her 70s.

Again the Bungle Bungles require quite a bit of walking but on pretty well maintained and graded tracks.

My opinion of Honeymoon bay is unfortunately a bit different to the previous poster. After paying your $50 to even drive there, we were confronted with the owners daughter tearing around in an old 80 cruiser with no muffler or windows . The place was full of very big off road caravans with big generators. We drove down to the beach where the poster was camped and it was IMHO the best of a bad bunch. It is a fishing spot pure and simple and has little else to recommend it. IMHO same with Mc Gowans.

We stayed in a caravan park run by the mission in Kulumburu on a beautiful grass area with clean amenities , behind the petrol station.

Be aware that the road to Kulumburu is one of the worst you will come across. Mitchell Falls is a 2-3 hour walk in and then same back but if you have plenty of money you can get a helicopter from the Ranger station. Be aware that if you think the Kulumburu road is bad the Mitchell falls road is usually worse and a known breaker of less than 100% vehicles.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 551456

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 15:42

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 15:42
Just a follow up on your Honeymoon comments.....
"The owners daughter" would have been one of Leslie French's grand daughters I reckon. Maybe Kimberley? She would be about 23 years old now? But there are others. Wonderful people, but you need to take the time to get to know them.
Last I heard, one of Lesley's grand sons was running the place.

I agree. I would not want to camp up the top except for a quick visit.
This pic was taken about 150M north of where we were in the earlier pics I posted. There are 2 or 3 spots just to the right of where I was standing when the pic was taken. We camped there a couple of times.

There is also a track all the way along the top of that small rise up from the beach and people who want to be on their own often camp along there with an uninterrupted view of the beach and headland.
There is always the potential to camp in other spots too, further away. I am sure they would allow that if you asked.

There is also plenty in the near vicinity to explore.
The old mission ruins at Pago, WW2 aircraft wrecks near the airfield, the Mission and its fantastic museum and as I mentioned before, the fabulous coast line and islands of Napier Broome Bay and beyond if you have a boat.

The fishing is spectacular too, but it is by no means a mandatory part of a great destination.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome

FollowupID: 836914

Sponsored Links