Review: Hema Navigator 7

My Shop Item Rating: My Rating 3/5

Have received the HN7 preloaded with EOTopo. Large screen is very useful, but I think it definitely does need the visor, as it is not easy to see with strong light falling on the screen. Another very good reason for the visor, is to keep the reflection of the Navigator screen off the car windscreen during night driving. Otherwise this can be very distracting.
I am not sure about the EOTopo 1:200k map. Hema already have a 1:250k topo map preloaded and I am yet to be convinced the slightly better scale of the EOTopo is worth the extra. I live in a long-established village, but my road is not shown! A bit disappointing.
The map upgrade facility through Naviextras Toolbox was/is a problem. I had already set up an account for another product (vehicle on-board navigator) and when I went to add the HN7 it simply 'stonewalled' me. It won't let you log in without connecting your device, but when I connected the HN7 it would not recognise it, listing only 'in-vehicle' devices for a small number of vehicles. It was only through perseverance and luck that I got it to work, and even then it required me to ignore warnings about loss of data and boldly 'click on' to ignore same. Contacted Naviextras and received no useful help, but it is obvious there is a problem with their software or program or something. It will be interesting to see if I experience difficulties next time.
Despite those issues, the voice directions are clear and precise in Street Navigation, and the vehicle symbol in 4WD is okay, if a little clunky and poorly scaled. As a result it would be easy to miss a turn if there were several near options as your vehicle's position can be ambiguous given the size of the symbol. This effect is diminished as you zoom in, of course.
In summary: Okay so far. Will be interested to see how it performs off-road (very soon).
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Sponsored Links