High Country and caravan

Submitted: Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 16:12
ThreadID: 117189 Views:2090 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone would know where the best places might be to take a caravan to in the High Country, that offered free camping?
My wife and I are looking for for places where we can base our vani (17' 1800kg twin axle) and take the 4WD for day trips to see the area. The idea would be to as much as possible base the van at the lower elevations to avoid the hilly climbs etc...
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Smokey
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Allan L2 - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 17:51

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 17:51
Hi Smokey,

I assume you mean Victorian High Country not Southern N.S.W. If so there are many spots to set up camp along the Buckland Valley via Myrtleford . From here there are many place to visit. Mt Murray, Blue Rag, Dargo, Beechworth, Stanley. A lot would depend on where your home base is also.

Cheers,
AnswerID: 551478

Reply By: Kevin S - Life Member (QLD) - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 18:01

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 18:01
When we were in the Dargo area at New Year last I was amazed it the size of van that was parked beside the Wonnangatta River all the way to Kingwill Bridge. And there are plenty of tracks over mountain tops and through river beds to keep almost any enthusiast interested.

Cheers,

Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 551480

Follow Up By: Kenell - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 18:27

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 18:27
Both suggestions are in line with my thinking. The Crooked River Rd at Dargo, even as far as Eaglevale is accessible with a van. I have travelled there with friends who have vans. Only thing I would suggest is to have someone go ahead with a radio to let you know when something is coming. There are a few narrow bits that might be awkward to meet something when you have limited manouvrability. There is also a cvan park at the start of this road that looks pretty good but obviously at a price.The Black Snake camp ground is about 15ks in and the road is quite wide to there. There are more tracks and options from this road than Buckland I would think.
FollowupID: 836930

Reply By: SmokeyD - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 18:42

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 18:42
Thanks guys - sorry I was a bit vague. I'd be coming from Adelaide, via Lake Ratzcastle (Garoke, Vic) - then I guess over the top of Melbourne. I have UHF radio so perhaps that may help with narrow gauge roads..?
The issue I guess would be the best and quickest way from Garoke, and if it would be busy during the next school holidays?
Do you guys know if the travel is slow going and if so from about where..?
Thanks again,
Smokey
AnswerID: 551486

Reply By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 19:00

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 19:00
You could loop around Melbourne to Mansfield. From there go into Sheepyard Flat/Frys Hut area. Good flat sites and 3-4 days worth of trips around the area.

Places like Mt Clear, Mt Stirling, Bluff Hut area, some good tracks to drive and places to see.
AnswerID: 551490

Reply By: Member - Graham D2 - Thursday, Mar 26, 2015 at 17:02

Thursday, Mar 26, 2015 at 17:02
Have just spent a week camping at Dargo in a 16'6" van (ATM 2390kg). We stayed at the Italian Flat camp area (free & long drop) along the Upper Dargo Rd beside the Dargo River. The easiest way for you would be to travel via Melbourne then east to Stratford and onto Dargo. You would climb to approx. 500m and then down to 300m into Dargo.
As another poster mentioned there are many FWD tracks (grade 1-5 in difficulty) and places of historical interest to explore. I would thoroughly recommend the area.

Graham
AnswerID: 551647

Follow Up By: SmokeyD - Thursday, Mar 26, 2015 at 17:42

Thursday, Mar 26, 2015 at 17:42
Hi there Graham,

Thanks for the tip - I reckon we might have a look..!

Cheers, Smokey
FollowupID: 837114

Sponsored Links