NM Pajero spare wheel carrier question.

Submitted: Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 17:25
ThreadID: 117194 Views:5408 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello learned ones,
I've been noticing a lot of Pajeros on the road lately....probably because the missus has been on my back about getting rid of the "toy" and getting a bigger car. Not a bad problem to have other than the extra cost.

I was following a NM Pajero home from work today and was looking closely at the modular style spare wheel carrier which also incorporates the rear park assist sensors. For the life of me, I couldn't work out how you'd be able to fit a bigger (taller) tyre into that carrier.
Photo of what I'm on about.

Has anyone a solution? This is a vehicle I'd consider buying but the above seems to be a problem. Cheers.

Fab.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bigfish - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 17:33

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 17:33
Many people have fitted bigger tyres up to legal limit.Check out the Vic. Pajero Owners Club. Everything you need to know is there..

cheers
AnswerID: 551473

Reply By: Notso - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 18:27

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 18:27
Also worth looking at the adapter that lifts the spare a few centimetres. It is used when the vehicles is set up for towing.
AnswerID: 551481

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 18:29

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 18:29
My solution would be to stick with the standard size tyres.
Bigger is not necessarily better, not even for the aesthetic value.

If you need more ground clearance, consider a 2" lift.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 551482

Follow Up By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 21:03

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 21:03
Or a set of Kings springs & shocks to suit.

I just shifted from the 2004 NM model Pajero to 2014 model NW and was amazed at the difference the stock model is on the newer unit by comparison.

I fitted the King springs on the earlier model - with bigger shocks already fitted by prior owner, so I could avoid the sag when I hooked up my first van - it also helped avoid the door clash with the hitch.

Current model seems to handle the weight better (extra half ton specs) and despite a heavier van, but I do need the spare wheel lift kit to avoid hitting the hitch when I open the door.

The most noticeable difference was the previous Pajero brushed the rollerdoor (eaves height) compared with the new unit - couple of inches to spare almost. Probably the best tow vehicle I have had.

Always used standard tyres - but have not tackled extreme 4wd work.

Cheers - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 836951

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 18:35

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 18:35
The photo is a model later that the NM.

NM and NP had the spare to the right of center and no cover like that shown. I think that style started at NS.

My friend has one with that cover and got slightly smaller tyres. He had to hack at the cover with an angle grinder. Not pretty.

AnswerID: 551484

Follow Up By: SDG - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 19:36

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 19:36
My NP has a fully enclosed hard cover. Slightly off centre, but not by much.

I put a parking assistance camera in mine about a month ago. Rarely use it. Prefer mirrors.
FollowupID: 836940

Reply By: Fab72 - Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 22:01

Monday, Mar 23, 2015 at 22:01
Thanks all.
Some great responses. I have seen some Pajeros - same models, where they have ditched the standard carrier and fitted a side by side dual carrier.

I know what you mean by the hitch clash. My current Pajero io won't allow me to open the rear door if a trailer is attached.

Bigger tyres do give more clearance under the diffs that springs/shocks don't. Even by the photo, I doubt M/T's of the same size will fit in there.

Cheers and thanks again.
Fab.
AnswerID: 551508

Sponsored Links