Crossed Simpson Desert last week

Hi well we crossed the Simpson west to east, we meet wife's sister and brother inlaw at port Augusta , we are from KILCOY Qld so a good drive just to start.good roads all the way to Mt dare dirt roads had just been graded so very lucky their, stayed at coward springs, good set up stopped at pink road house for lunch good burger, gave the cars a top up, next night stayed at Hamilton station, good open camp sites have a shelter and drop toilets and rubbish bins, arrived at Mt dare lunch time on the 17th had to go this way as pedirka track closed fuel up again as used extra fuel going more Ks had good shower as wife said I was starting to smell I thought I was good , but the way she held her nose I took the hint.

Mt. dare to Dalhousie springs very rough at Dalhousie sign said track closed no ranger around so lucky Monday as could ring Nat parks and was told could go on but be carful of wash outs all web sites said open so some one is not doing their job. The desert was great their was two cars two days ahead as we found out, only saw four camels and two lizards, but we had plenty of company from 20million flies that was on one arm, thank goodness for fly hats, plus it was the hottest month on record so getting out of car was extremely hot, fuel patrol both tanks plus on jerry, Beer 2 by 24 Birdsville shower
Back Expand Un-Read 4 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter&Lynore - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2015 at 12:07

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2015 at 12:07
Hi to the explore team, we purchased the sand flag and rubbish bag on back tyre. On our Simpson trip both items worked well .
Peter
AnswerID: 551529

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2015 at 14:25

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2015 at 14:25
Great drive that, doing two crossings this year, May and July, opposite ends of the spectrum though for difficulty and group size.

What route did you do ?
AnswerID: 551539

Reply By: Wallon - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2015 at 20:10

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2015 at 20:10
Hi Guys,
Heading up that way in two days and can't wait,
planning to cross the desert in 4 to 5 days, will post some notes on our return around the 11th of April
Cheers Thierry
AnswerID: 551605

Sponsored Links