Dargo away from the crowds

Howdy everyone.

Taking the family camping for a few days and looking at somewhere around the Dargo area. The missus and I went up that way a few times about 15 years ago, pre-kids. We used to take an old station wagon and sleep in the back and found some really nice secluded spots along Wonnongatta and Crooked rivers. Really looking forward to getting back up there but don't want be in with the crowds given that it's Easter and all.

We have an old Jackaroo but haven't taken it off-road yet and the missus gets a bit more stressed these days. Are we any chance of finding a spot to ourselves somewhere along 1 of the rivers that isn't too hard to get to? Moroka Bridge and Horseyard Flat are a couple of places I've seen mentioned that look nice, how hard are they to get to?

Leaving tomorrow so I know it's late notice but any advice or suggestions would really be appreciated. Also what would be the best way to get hold of a map of the area?

Cheers
Tylo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chooky and Wobble - Friday, Mar 27, 2015 at 22:00

Friday, Mar 27, 2015 at 22:00
If your planning on still being there for easter it will be wall to wall people. I think everyone moves from melbourne to dargo area for easter. If you want some other nice camps along a river try the upper dargo road. Go past the first camp at the creek. There are 3 or 4 good spots further along.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 551685

Follow Up By: Tylo - Friday, Mar 27, 2015 at 22:05

Friday, Mar 27, 2015 at 22:05
Cheers mate, I'll look into it. We're only going for 4 days so will thankfully miss the main easter crowd.
FollowupID: 837181

Reply By: mountainman - Friday, Mar 27, 2015 at 22:13

Friday, Mar 27, 2015 at 22:13
Depends if it rains and how much.
dont go near the crooked river around rain.
it flows fast and river levels rise even faster.
Got through fine in a hj47 cruiser.
got water in my headlights
and it was really flowing.
lucky no logs got dislogged.
dargo river inn.. is quite surprisingly quiet for easter last time we were their years ago....very quiet !!
hot showers... open paddock and a band playing..as well as a massive undercover pergola..and fire drums stoked to keep you warm.
good atmosphere.
That would be my tip..keep the wife happy...kids too
Do some day trips.
make it base camp.
and if you fall in trouble
let them know your heading out
before you go.
dont drink and drive.. cops and SES have a base camp over the weekend.
And people have been done on the weekend.
As well as FOLLOW THE TRACKS
mate took a short cut to the dunny in his car.
got booked by national parks for making his own track across an open paddock.. and designated track was provided

plenty of spots not far from the huts in the wonangatta... just hate the midnight drivers...yahooing around at night... thats the bonus of the dargo river in
quiet and peacefull.. sleep
as well as a plan b if weather turns to crap..
AnswerID: 551686

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Mar 28, 2015 at 07:48

Saturday, Mar 28, 2015 at 07:48
There are a couple of nice quiet spots if you head out the Crooked River track, across Kingswell Bridge, past Eaglevale on the Wonnangatta Rd which turns into Moroka Junction track. It is a dead end so there isn't the usual passing hoon traffic that you get in the middle of the night around Dargo at easter. The road gets a bit rough and tight corners near the end ( rough and narrow for a road, but still easy) but it is nice and the river is beautiful.

It's about 90 mins out of Dargo and slow going, especially near the end. There are about 3 - 4 nice camp spots and some others. You will probably get a few hunters going past but that's it.

AnswerID: 551691

Follow Up By: Tylo - Saturday, Mar 28, 2015 at 09:07

Saturday, Mar 28, 2015 at 09:07
Sounds exactly what I'm after mate. Thanks for that
FollowupID: 837194

Sponsored Links