Road advice Betoota to Bedourie via Diamantina National Park

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 28, 2015 at 21:10
ThreadID: 117263 Views:2499 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am planning a trip in June and wanting to go from Betoota, to the Diamantina National Park via Toorijumpa Crossing, Davenport Downs then to Bedourie via Monkira Station and ultimately to the Big Red Bash in Birdsville.
The map shows the road as a track. Has anyone traveled this route recently and would you be kind enough to give me some information on the road conditions. I assume that it will be dry at that time of year and understand that we will have to rethink our route should it be wet.
Thanks in advance
Kev
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Mar 28, 2015 at 23:06

Saturday, Mar 28, 2015 at 23:06
Haven't been on the Betoota-Mooraboorie section for perhaps 10 or more years, Kevin. It was in good order then, and as it's a little used road except for station staff, and perhaps odd triple, I can't see it being too bad. Just south of Mooraboorie, it twists and turns a bit, as the road dodges around low sand ridges........quite quaint, I thought.

There's been a lot of money spent on the road up to Davenport, and it's pretty good now. As much of the country is "ashy" downs, it powders up quite quickly if it's been dry, or there has been a lot of stock carted out towards Windorah. Simply a case of driving to conditions where it looks like the road is cut up. Otherwise it's easy to do the speed limit if you're not towing!

Went down to Davenport recently from Winton, and the road is okay, but the graders haven't been on it yet, and there are 1 or 2 bad washouts to be aware of.........one has the potential to total a vehicle, and the occupants. Once you get onto the 'Lakes the road was better.

Never been on that road from Davenport to Monkira. It could be good down the River as far as Perlina Yards, but after that it could be a lottery. Don't know that Diamantina Shire are responsible for it, so maintenance could be only as required. Instead of going that way, I'd be inclined to go across to Springvale, turn left to Coorabulka, then left there and hit the Development Road about 50kms from the junction, near Cluny Station. Anyway, you're paying for the fuel, so choice is yours. :-)

Do have some photos of the other roads too, Kevin, but wouldn't know where to look for them. :-( Enjoy the Bash.......

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 551721

Reply By: Sigmund - Sunday, Mar 29, 2015 at 14:55

Sunday, Mar 29, 2015 at 14:55
http://www.thediamantina.com.au/road-conditions
Barcoo and Bulloo councils' websites also list road conditions.
This website also has a road conditions section; not sure what the update schedule is.
AnswerID: 551751

Sponsored Links