Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: muzbry - Sunday, Mar 29, 2015 at 17:24

Sunday, Mar 29, 2015 at 17:24
Gday Rob
I went up the Oodndatta track in September last and had a great drive. The track is a well looked after dirt road, nothing to worry about .
AnswerID: 551754

Follow Up By: Lrtccn - Sunday, Mar 29, 2015 at 19:12

Sunday, Mar 29, 2015 at 19:12
Hi Escapesilv
I want to drive this track in july, can you tell me how it is, once you've done it ?

By the way, can anybody tell me how is the track between William Creek and Coober Pedy (156 km). I'd like to visit Coober too but is it better to go there directly from William Creek (and return) or to go down from Oodnadatta ?

Regards.

Laurent
FollowupID: 837271

Reply By: Lrtccn - Sunday, Mar 29, 2015 at 19:14

Sunday, Mar 29, 2015 at 19:14
Lrtccn posted:
Hi Escapesilv
I can't help you but I want to drive this track in july, can you tell me how it is, once you've done it ?

By the way, can anybody tell me how is the track between William Creek and Coober Pedy (156 km). I'd like to visit Coober too but is it better to go there directly from William Creek (and return) or to go down from Oodnadatta ?

Regards.

Laurent
AnswerID: 551757

Reply By: Member - Terry W4 - Sunday, Mar 29, 2015 at 20:01

Sunday, Mar 29, 2015 at 20:01
Will be driving Flinders Ranges to Leigh Creek, Maree, Coward Springs, Oodnadatta and Marla along the track during early May.

Will monitor this thread closely.

AnswerID: 551760

Reply By: Member - P and JM - Sunday, Mar 29, 2015 at 22:27

Sunday, Mar 29, 2015 at 22:27
Hi Rob,

I see you are starting at Marree to do the "Oodna Track". This dirt road is usually in pretty good nick and maintained regularly. Now is the time to it before winter when it can become impassable.

Free camping is supplied at the rear (south end) of the Marree Hotel and a gold coin donation for a shower by Phill Turner and his wife. To compensate for the free camping we had our evening meals at the hotel which were great. Whilst there have a few beers and a good look at the memorabilia room of Australia's greatest outback mail route from Marree to Birdsville taken by the famous Tom Kruse.

Prior to heading towards William Creek just out of Marree you will see a right hand turn off to Muloorina Station where you can camp by the Frome River, (camping fee applies, $8-00/night I think) enjoy the bird life of different birds in the water from a bore at the homestead. From there travel out to Lake Eyre where you get views of both Lake Eyre South and North.

Returning to Marree turn right and head north west for William Creek then to Oodna.
Stay in the south side caravan park at William Creek and explorer the local hotel which also has great meals.

There is a lot of history and things to see along the route so try and see as much as you can. The old Railway Sidings and the Bubblers are a must see.

Enjoy your trip and take care. P&J
AnswerID: 551773

Reply By: 671 - Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 00:08

Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 00:08
Rob

I drove over it just over 18 months ago and it was as easy as can be. About three years prior to that I was on it and came across a five or six way conversation on a radio station between local people and a couple from the Govt. council etc. The topic was making it a sealed or all weather road because closure by rain was causing major problems to the local economy. I think this would suggest it gets its fair share of maintenance in its present unsealed form.

The main thing to keep in mind on any of those unsealed Outback roads is you must be able to stop in the distance you can see. A good road can develop washouts after just one heavy shower. Plenty of people have come to grief because they were hurtling along nicely at 100 kph then saw a washout or hole but were only able to get down to 50 when they hit it when they really should have been below 10.
AnswerID: 551778

Follow Up By: Dion - Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 16:57

Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 16:57
The actual saying is to travel at a speed that you can stop in half the distance you can see clear ahead.
Traveling at a speed relying on being able to need all the distance you can see clear ahead usual results in twisted metal.
FollowupID: 837331

Reply By: jdpatrol - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 10:42

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 10:42
From previous trip in April along the track, be sure to take fly nets for everyone....
AnswerID: 551846

Follow Up By: Member - Terry W4 - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 16:50

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 16:50
What about early May? What type of fly net do you recommend?
FollowupID: 837377

Follow Up By: jdpatrol - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 17:01

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 17:01
We just have those personal ones that go over your head - you can get them from any camping store. You can get those tent type ones as well I guess but if you're just going for a walk during the day that's no use, or may be inconvenient if just stopping for lunch. From memory flies arrive around 630am each morning and leave about 6pm at night, so no problems at night. PS eating not so easy with the personal ones but you get by.
FollowupID: 837379

Follow Up By: Member - tommo05 - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 19:33

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 19:33
I also did it in April a few years ago and can confirm the flies were bad.

If there has been wet weather they don't hesitate in closing sections of the track. If the track is open then you'll do it without raising a sweat. At this very point in time the whole track is open.

Beautiful part of the world, have fun!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 837385

Sponsored Links