GOLD - You bloody beauty!

Forget the Trans-Tasman rivalry going on at the “G” tonight. There was even more at stake today up at the Blackwood recreation reserve.

Nestled between the Wombat and Lerdederg state forests, the picturesque old mining town was hosting the 21st Annual Australian gold panning championship and yes, contestants from afar afield as the land of the long white cloud were vying for the top honour.

There was a lot of fun had by all, as contestants showed their skills over a set time period to work the vats of pre-prepared ‘paydirt’. Quickly squirreling their finds away into specimen jars to be officially weighed, there was certainly a variety of skill levels on display as they searched for the elusive gold dust. I reckon I heard more bulldust than I saw gold dust though ;-)

Queen Vik and I had popped up to the town as it is only an hour’s drive from Melbourne and the pub has new owners. A magnificent day to try some good pub fare, listen to some blues and try the luck at gold panning. While she has the fever, neither of us did any good.

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Sunday, Mar 29, 2015 at 20:52

Sunday, Mar 29, 2015 at 20:52
so did the aussies or kiwis win?
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 551767

Follow Up By: Mick O - Sunday, Mar 29, 2015 at 21:28

Sunday, Mar 29, 2015 at 21:28
As you'd expect John ;-)
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 837274

Follow Up By: Phillipn - Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 08:53

Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 08:53
Kiwis had a bad day, lost both the football and cricket.
FollowupID: 837296

Sponsored Links