Vrilya Point side trip

Submitted: Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 07:21
ThreadID: 117280 Views:2248 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I have read a few posts here saying Vrilya Point is a great place to relax on the beach for a few days.

Can someone please let me know how long does it take from the Barma Rd up to the nice camp spots each way.

Also I read a few threads saying that it isn't that good and is full of rubbish. Can people please help me with that information. Is it a better option that Captain Billy Landing which appears to be very windy.

Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jackolux - Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 08:23

Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 08:23
We went there July last year , I can't remember how long it took to drive in from the road
It was a easy enough drive , we turned left when we got to the beach and drove about 8-10 k to where the river meets the ocean .

Plenty of room to camp there was only one other car there . We didn't see much rubbish .

One thing I have learnt you cant take any notice of what ppl say about a place , I would say go have a look for yourself

Just like asking what a track is like , some will say it's as rough as guts the next bloke will say it's ok .
AnswerID: 551786

Reply By: jdpatrol - Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 10:30

Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 10:30
Hi boobook
We stayed there in July 2013 for a few days to relax after leaving the tip. It about 25km in from PDR and then 10km north along the beach where river meets the sea. There you stay just off the beach under magnificent Sheoak trees. Only issue driving there from PDR is log bridge over Crystal Crk – similar to Cypress Crk on the OTT – it looks dodgy but we were fine. No wind unlike east side of Peninsula – I guess that changes at times. Best sunsets. A few people who camped there had boats but we were too concerned to fish at water’s edge when tide was in at nights due to crocs. So at nights we enjoyed sitting around a camp fire. Worth a visit IMO. Cheers
AnswerID: 551795

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 11:19

Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 11:19
So how far back from the water do you camp? I guess that would be my concern too.
FollowupID: 837312

Follow Up By: jdpatrol - Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 11:39

Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 11:39
If you camp under the trees you should be fine - it's a fair way back. There's lots of choice depending on where others are camping. PS we never saw any red eyes i the water at night, nor a single croc. But, big river mouth - sure to be there somewhere.
FollowupID: 837313

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 06:02

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 06:02
We saw a croc cruising just behind the wave line down near the beach entry when we were there

Flys were much more of a problem than the crocs though
FollowupID: 837358

Reply By: Member - TonyV - Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 10:38

Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 10:38
Unlike Jackolux, I haven't been there for years.
Its a great fishing spot where you need to be self sufficient.
I can't remember the track being overly bad some sandy sections, or how long exactly but its only 30 kms so an 40 minutes to hour each way should cover it.
AnswerID: 551796

Reply By: cookie1 - Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 11:44

Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 11:44
We were there in 2009 which is a while ago

Vrilya Point, the Creek Crossing looks iffy but is fine, the entry & exits are a bit tight but OK, from memory it took us about an hour to get in there and yes where the rubbish bay is there was a lot of rubbish - why you can't take it out with you instead of overfilling is beyond me. We set up our swags about 50M from the water but woke around midnight and the tide brought it within I'd say 10M of us so a bit of a sleepless night for some.

Captain Billy Landing was a brilliant spot, yes a little windy but would definitely go there again.

With all of these tracks just be careful of people coming the other way, some are in a hurry.

cheers
AnswerID: 551799

Reply By: DaveO*ST-R - Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 16:29

Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 16:29
We last visited Vrilya Point in 2011. (First time in 2009) The 35? odd k's in from the Peninsula Road was a bit corrugated, narrow and slow going in places, but took about 1 hour to do. Yes, I do recall seeing a "rubbish tip" along this track. Why it was there, I do not know. Why people cannot just cart their rubbish out with them I do not know.

The log bridge on the way in needs care, but is no issue.

We turned right at the beach and headed the 10 odd k's to where the river meets the ocean. Great camping spot as stated under trees. Thoroughly enjoyed a couple of nights there just relaxing, a spot of fishing, but mainly chilling out. Plenty of people with tinnies and quad bikes towing their trailers around. We saw no rubbish around the camping area.

Dave
AnswerID: 551821

Reply By: CSeaJay - Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 17:25

Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 17:25
Boobook
Been there twice, both times as side trips when 'doing the Cape'
Both times did the ten minute drive up the beach (north) to where there is a stand of oaks on the point.
There are no facilities, but if you dig in the depression you will clear fresh water. If you are lucky the campers before you may have left their 'well' and you can just bucket it out. Once we just dug it out, buried our sandfilter pickup and pumped the water out as needed.
Now the first time was idyllic; Happened to also camp there were people we met and helped up the OTL, shared meals (they were fishermen we had the campoven stew) and it was peaceful. Boys caught Queenfish of the beach with ordinary tackle.

The second time was not nice; a group of fishermen set up camp, probably 6 cars each with a gennie and a freezer so the gennies ran 24/7. Came home with boatloads of fish, then they all were filleted and frozen.

Nice fellas, used their water setup and the like, but far from peaceful.

AnswerID: 551823

Follow Up By: CSeaJay - Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 17:31

Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 17:31
Oh for the edit -
wanted to add, in answer to your question. Each to their own and (luckily) we all do not have the same tastes. But for us, Captn Billy was not pleasant at all. That wind (or should I call it a gale) just never eases off, so in answer to your question we would check out Vrilya over CBL every time, if we can only do one.
FollowupID: 837335

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 17:42

Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 17:42
Like others on here we've been to both Captain Billy and Vrilya, and both are attractive options visually - but the wind on the east coast of the Cape was hellish, whereas it was beautifully sheltered under the sheoaks at Vrilya.
Great destination, and the drive in is fine if you take it easy. Didn't see any rubbish to speak of when we were there.
Enjoy!
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 551824

Follow Up By: Member - Wildmax - Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 17:43

Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 17:43
PS: This profile pic is actually taken on the Vrilya track, just near the log bridge.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 837336

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 06:28

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 06:28
Vrilya it is. Thank you everyone.

I won't forget the fly and crock spray.

AnswerID: 551842

Reply By: Member - Will 76 Series - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 19:53

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 19:53
A little confusing here with lefts and rights and also norths and souths. The river mouth (Doughboy) seems to be 10km South when you hit the beach or is there another river 10km to the North? I notice there is small inlet to the north but most of the comments seem to refer to the better camp to the south?
AnswerID: 551864

Sponsored Links