Ram Mount No-drill seat mount bracket for 2003 Nissan Patrol GU?

Submitted: Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 10:55
ThreadID: 117282 Views:4577 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I have a Panasonic Toughbook mounted on a metal tray + flexible legs, but going really offroad it works but is too flexible and need to look at a more rigid mount kit. I can't seem to find any for the Nissan Patrol, but there has to be someone out there that has done this?!

I have this Tough-dock, but I have the metal version of this - not the composite: http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-234-PAN1P

I have it mounted on these legs: http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-universal-vehicle-swing-arm-laptop-mount-ram-316-3sw1u.html

What I am looking for is something like this: http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-VB-154-SW1

Would be great if someone have been looking at something similar.. I know about the iPad setups and all, and that is fine.. will have that sorted as well, but now need to get the details all done up for the Toughbook as I love that laptop in the car.

Thanks!

/Jorgen

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bigfish - Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 11:52

Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 11:52
Having had the toughbooks since they came out , I know they are a heavy beast. The ram mount you are looking at would wobble due to the 4 arms connected to it. I,ve had mates who have fabricated their own steel mounts and mounted to the floor. They were pretty heavy duty mounts as most of the roads they travelled were very corrugated. I did not bother mounting my Toughbook as I felt it was a safety issue in the event of an accident and because of the weight of the thing requiring a really solid mount to see it stable on dirt roads. I think the best option is to decide exactly where you want it mounted and go to a fabricating shop and seek advice about having a purpose built mount manufactured.
cheers
AnswerID: 551800

Follow Up By: jskogsta - Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 12:03

Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 12:03
Thanks for that, and yeah.. the one with the "soft" arms is not strong enough on the corrugation or going rough tracks. Hence the reason I am looking for something a bit more sturdy. Not sure why I missed it, but this post > http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/99077/Laptop_Mount.aspx?ky=toughbook&sn=&p=%2fForum%2fDefault.aspx%3fs%3d1%26ky%3dtoughbook%26pn%3d1 < looks very interesting and something like what I am looking for. Will contact the guys that made this up for him, and see what they will charge for doing a similar job... This then would allow to remove it proper, but also when travelling with companion remove the top and put in say the iPad as well in a similar manner.

.. agree with the safety issue though, and only use the Toughbook when traveling alone.

Great piece of kit the Toughbook though.. can't fault it at all.

Cheers!

/Jorgen

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 837315

Reply By: TomH - Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 12:19

Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 12:19
I had one mounted in a 2003 Patrol It had 3 alloy legs and I had a leg on each side of the tunnel and one in the console where there is an aperture between the seats. Kept it very steady.
AnswerID: 551803

Follow Up By: TomH - Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 12:21

Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 12:21
Mine was the middle one and had a 15 in lappy on it and it stayed ok
FollowupID: 837316

Reply By: Mick O - Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 12:39

Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 12:39
As Bigfish has pointed out, the flexible legs will do exactly that….flex. I’ve used one and threw it away in disgust on the first trip into the hills.

Using the Panasonic myself, you really need to fabricate a solid steel base up. Mount the 25mm RAM mount ball system on this and used the heavy duty laptop tray. I had one fabricated for my GU3 and then for the new 79 series. It uses the existing seat mounts and an anchor point for the centre console on the passengers side. I will post some photos from home tonight.

Both were manufactured by Brown Davis in Bayswater (eastern suburbs of Melbourne). Ask for Kevin Sharp there. Kev may have kept a template for the unit.Mine have proved tom be rock solid in any conditions.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 551804

Follow Up By: jskogsta - Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 12:45

Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 12:45
Mick,

Great - I believe I found your post with the one that they made up for you.. exactly what I was looking for, so have printed your pics etc up, and will call them and discuss..

Mind me asking what that job set you back when it was done?

What I like with that setup is that it would be a breeze to swap to using a simple iPad when the better half want to join in on the fun...

Cheers!

/Jorgen

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 837318

Follow Up By: Mick O - Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 22:51

Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 22:51
Mate it would be a bit unfair as it was 8 years ago for the GU and five for the 79. On top of the RAM parts, the cost was comparable with the flexible leg system (back then). Speak with Kevin and let him know you've been talking to me.

P.S. I'm probably going over to a windows based tablet for navigation so this system is still great for that as well. Ram also provide other options for the tablet mount utilising the 25mm ball. You really need the larger ball and arm for rigidity.

Cheers

Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837352

Follow Up By: Mick O - Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 23:01

Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 23:01
Photos as promised;

Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837353

Follow Up By: jskogsta - Saturday, Apr 04, 2015 at 10:14

Saturday, Apr 04, 2015 at 10:14
Had a chat with Kevin the other day, and they are more than happy to make another mount. No issue... they just needed the metal mount that goes on top (e.g. the metal ball mount..), which I will source now. They estimated $5-600 for the job, and they would need the vehicle to make sure it all is made to fit like a glove. ;-)

Will source the parts, but will also source the parts so the mounting of an iPad running map software etc. can fit there as well. The Ram Mount for the iPad's pretty decent as well, which would come in handy when a passenger wants to join in on the fun as well!

/Jorgen

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 837541

Reply By: wholehog - Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 13:15

Monday, Mar 30, 2015 at 13:15
I've used a RAM mount before for a laptop. It wasn't a lot of use, I still had to fashion a bracket to attach to the inner dash metal facia to keep it from shaking on bad roads, even with the 3 other legs shaped and bolted to the right and left front seat floor mounts and a lower dash point.

I eventually took it out and threw it into the bin and made my own hardware, mounting either side of the stereo unit from behind the dash metal facia, and now has a timber back/aluminum channel frame slide out for a 10" notepad.

Works a treat, no movement and the Mrs made a sleeve that slides over it when not in use.

RAM mounts would be ok if you stuck to highways only in my experiences.

AnswerID: 551805

Reply By: Member - Bentaxle - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 00:09

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 at 00:09
I had a Ram with the 3 leg setup and had mounted a Sony VIAO laptop and had no trouble with the unit, vibration was minimal even on Connie Sue's vibrations. It even survived a double roll over as did the computer
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 551839

Reply By: GarryR - Friday, Apr 03, 2015 at 16:00

Friday, Apr 03, 2015 at 16:00
have a look at Johnny Appleseed at 92 St Kilda Rd, St Kilda, as they sell a variity of ram mount products. They also have a web site and have outlets in all eastern states. I purchased a mount that bolts under the seat runner and has a ball head to which you screw a cradle to, to hold in my case an ipad which either the cook or I can use while navigating. The seat mount and ipad cradle is approx. $ 185-
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 551987

Sponsored Links