Fraser Island , Captiva / outlander ?

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 07, 2015 at 17:05
ThreadID: 117380 Views:6990 Replies:10 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Has any one got any thoughts about driving an outlander on Fraser Island ?????
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Idler Chris - Vic - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2015 at 17:14

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2015 at 17:14
There are a lot of places you will struggle with ground clearence.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 552100

Reply By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2015 at 17:42

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2015 at 17:42
Hi can be a challenge for those type of vehicles just getting on an off the barge.
Had to drag a rav 4 through the soft stuff just off the barge on Frazer,last time i was there.
As Chris said ground clearance will be the issue ,try and avoid the deep rutted wheel tracks, on the beach access tracks, with lower tyre pressure you should be able to scoot over the soft sand no problem, and keep a snatch strap handy.

Rob.

I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 552101

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2015 at 18:33

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2015 at 18:33
Stay just in front of a tour bus full of back packers.....

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 552106

Reply By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2015 at 18:39

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2015 at 18:39
If you are an experienced 4wder and know the car, then you can get those types of cars to go further off road than a novice can. It's all about momentum and tyre pressure on sand. Having said that you will be scraping your belly sometimes, especially on some of the inland tracks no matter what. Along the beaches at low tide, no problem. Anywhere near the barge, its all about momentum and tyre pressure or you are stuck because the sand in that area is chopped up and soft.
AnswerID: 552107

Reply By: Member - mark D18 - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2015 at 18:59

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2015 at 18:59
Rtv47

Personally I wouldn't attempt it in one of those Vehicles
The Sand on Fraser can at times be a bit tricky.
But if you do good luck.

Cheers
AnswerID: 552109

Reply By: PaulH - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2015 at 20:48

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2015 at 20:48
Take a compressor and a very good tyre gauge and let your tyres down about 20% on the barge. Read up on sand driving. Have your own rated shackles and snatch strap. Make sure your recovery stuff is easily accessible and you get it out if you get bogged and connect it all up so as not to impose overly on your rescuer. Obviously under prepared people are a pain in the ****. Pump up your tyres once on firm surface back on the mainland before speeding or making turns. No fast sharp turns with lower pressures. Avoid remote places where you could get trapped by the tide and flooded if bogged.
AnswerID: 552121

Reply By: Sigmund - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2015 at 22:32

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2015 at 22:32
Saw a Vitara doing OK on the inland tracks. But they were in good shape at the time.
AnswerID: 552132

Reply By: FatGaz - Thursday, Apr 09, 2015 at 19:28

Thursday, Apr 09, 2015 at 19:28
I have a Captiva and have used it on hard and soft sand.

My recommendations are to lower tyre pressures. I carry a compressor with me.

Turn off Stability Control (the button looks like a car skidding out of control). Why?? This automatically applies brakes if it sees skidding. Just driving over sand will make the car believe it is skidding and will apply brakes.

Do not stop. Captiva has a pretty good system that automagically transfers drive between the front and rear wheels. This works while the car is driving. If stopped, the system just spins its wheels.

pick your line. I don't encourage dragging your belly through soft sand.

I haven't needed to be recovered yet. But ensure you take precautions
AnswerID: 552231

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 09, 2015 at 19:53

Thursday, Apr 09, 2015 at 19:53
Some years ago we took a long wheelbase Kia Sportage to Fraser.

The then Sportage was a real 4WD (chassis, low range) but had a soft roader's ground clearance.

The only time we got stuck was when we were in the main tracks cut up by the big 4WD tour buses and had to stop because some halfwits couldn't manage their "real" 4WD (read Troopie, Patrol, Cruiser) and we had to stop to help them out. Then we couldn't get going again without a push. But that's all it took, a push from a few willing hands.

We had no problems at Inskip point, nor coming off the ferry in loose sand.

We had no fancy stuff like traction control, etc, and that was probably to our advantage. Turn it off in sand.

It's all about tyre pressures and a bit of knowledge of your vehicle and basic sand techniques.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 552233

Follow Up By: Rtv47 - Thursday, Apr 09, 2015 at 21:18

Thursday, Apr 09, 2015 at 21:18
Thank you for all the comments ....
Cheers
FollowupID: 837816

Reply By: Batt's - Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 02:47

Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 02:47
Have you driven on sand before do you have your own recovery gear if not get some and get lots of practice driving on a local beach to find out what you are capable of doing and how the tyres you have take to sand more than likely if their road tyres you will struggle. Bog your vehicle and practice self recoveries the worse thing you could do is to get constantly bogged on a track while holding up a bunch of people who have spent the time and money on the correct set up. If in doubt hire a real 4WD but don't just rock up there like a backpacker who has never driven on sand before or you may ruin your holiday or someone elses.
AnswerID: 552278

Follow Up By: Rtv47 - Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 13:26

Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 13:26
Thanks Batt for your encouraging thoughts.
Yes I have all my own gear,
Yes I have had sand experience.
Yes I will do my best not to tear up the tracks and hold all the drivers of the big wheeled monsters like Toyotas, patrols and land Rovers etc etc
Cheers
FollowupID: 837844

Sponsored Links