caravan battery cutoffswitch

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 07, 2015 at 21:33
ThreadID: 117389 Views:3119 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G,day : didjaavgreatlongweekend
I am looking for a cut off switch that will shut down the power output from a caravan battery to stop it being total drained , if there is such a thing.

cheers
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2015 at 21:37

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2015 at 21:37
Nick,

This will do the trick.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 552127

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2015 at 21:42

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2015 at 21:42
Thanks Frank; you posted while I was writing my reply.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837697

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2015 at 21:40

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2015 at 21:40
If all your appliances are wired through a controller, the controller can be set to cut the load at a selected voltage to save the battery. Otherwise if your have things direct wired to the battery, a manual option is about all I can envisage. The latter is how it works for us with our present set up. I have not yet needed to switch off, but in cloudy weather watch closely.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 552128

Reply By: oldtrack123 - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2015 at 21:41

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2015 at 21:41
Hi
Yes, DC switchs are available size [current rating ]will depend on the max current that may be dawn from the battery
Also there are battery terminal fitted switchs that simple tighten or loosen to connect or disconnect
Most Battery dealers have them
PeterQ
AnswerID: 552129

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2015 at 22:36

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2015 at 22:36
The Redarc VS-12 referred to above will do the job but it is only rated at 10 Amp so, depending on your load, you may need to add a relay of higher rating. Redarc price it at $131.98 but you can get it around $110 on eBay.

A similar product but rated at 60 Amp is the "Battery Protection Relay" at $79.95 available from ABR Sidewinder, a Business Member of this ExplorOz site.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 552133

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 07:38

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 07:38
While a VSR (Low Voltage Cutout) will do the job of protecting the battery from total discharge, I would question the need for it in a van.
The fridge is the heaviest user of power, but rarely should a normal 3 way fridge be connected directly to a van battery bank. 12 volt operation of this sort of fridge should only be used when traveling, supplied from the vehicle alternator and disconnected when the ignition is turned off.

The exception to the above is when a compressor fridge is installed in the van, like I have.
These use much less current draw from the battery bank. In my van, there is a selector switch to determine Car supply, Van supply, or Both.
I use the Both setting so the van batteries are charged while traveling from the vehicle alternator and when stationary the on-board van batteries supply the fridge. If the van is connected to 240v, this will take precedence and also charge the van batteries at the same time.
When "free" camping the capacity of the battery bank (210Ah) is sufficient to maintain a 12 volt supply and is supported by solar panel charging.
I have a meter on board which shows the remaining Ah remaining in the battery bank.

P.S. While the Redarc VSR is an excellent product, there are cheaper ones around that will do the same job should you need one.

This One from Derek at ABR Sidewinder can be purchased for $80.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 552141

Reply By: Keith H7 - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 07:39

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 07:39
If it is only a switch you are after Google "marine battery cutoff switch".
AnswerID: 552142

Reply By: wholehog - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 07:44

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 07:44
Yes, I think Nicks call was for an isolator type switch, not a battery monitor and shut off at a pre determined voltage device.

2 things, why is the voltage leaking down?, and fitting an isolation switch might be just curing an effect and not fixing the cause.
AnswerID: 552143

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 10:13

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 10:13
Thanks for your reply's : " isolator " just in cast i forget to turn off fridge or lights etc , so don't destroy battery by running dead flat .

The common redarc battery isolator that is used under bonnet that stops the main battery being drained wldnt work in this application on its own ( just one battery ) ???

The battery in van is not a factor set up , has no bells & whistles & is not used often .

cheers
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 837718

Sponsored Links