the canning

hi I am fairly new on this forum can anybody who has done the canning stock rout let me no I have a hj60 cruiser 500000 ks on it how would it be do the canning I service it every 5000ks had it since new I am a bit worried about the fuel because I have only a 90 litre tank also thinking of towing a trailer for fuel and spairs could anybody shed me some light on this thanks.john
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Billion Star Camper - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 10:03

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 10:03
I did the Canning with a group in 5 vehicles in 2013. Had a great trip and I believe it has had rain since so would still be in good heart.

Fuel is a problem but towing a trailer is also. Personally I wouldn't tow a trailer as it can make climbing one of the 1000 sand hills a problem, not only for you but as you dig it up trying, you make it rougher for others. Having said that we saw one group all with camper trailers! "I guess if you can make it up despite the digging and rutting who cares about any one else" Hey!

I allowed 20 litre per 100 on my 2002 Patrol. I am not sureof the year for a HJ60, but if well maintained it should be OK. I did about 16.5 Ltres per 100 from Halls creek to well 33. and 20 litres from well 33 to Wiluna. I cannot explain why the difference except some mistake on my behalf in the measuring or calcs. We did not rush it and took 17 days. Total distance 1850 Klms with the longest between fill ups about 900 Klm. So at 20 litre per 100 allowance you need 180 litres. Try to minimise weight as much as you can. Water is available every two or three days at least so no need to carry too much.

Make sure you have good springs and Heavy duty shocks, that can carry the weight, let the tyres down (mine were 23 PSI). The corregations will destroy any suspension or chassis that is not in sound condition, especially if the weight is high. So 180 litres weighs a bit, but if you calculate that you will probably use a 20 litre jerry every day for the first day or two you soon get down to a manageable weight of fuel.

Have a good trip. Well worth it especially if you or yours enjoys taking photos of wild flowers.
I am an apprentice retire. Its looking like my most successful career to date.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 552148

Follow Up By: john m85 - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 12:51

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 12:51
thanks for the info I am looking at about 20 litres per 100 if I am lucky I am getting new shocks and springs sounds like a good trip.
cheers john.
FollowupID: 837730

Follow Up By: Member-George (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 16:09

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 16:09
Having done the CSR, South to North, 5 times, the advice/information given above is spot on. Use it to calculate fuel and also lower tyre pressure in the sand hills AND 20km each side of well 33 (shock absorber destroying corrugations). Leave the trailer home. Cheers.
FollowupID: 837734

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 18:07

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 18:07
Biggest hitch for fuel is Wiluna to Kunnawarritji (about 1000k's) so allow for a 20% margin.

I did it in 2013 in an HJ47, so basically the same engine and chassis as an HJ60 - averaged around 5 to 6 klms a litre, so a minimum of 200 - 210 litres would be required (or arrange a fuel drop at well 23).
FollowupID: 837741

Follow Up By: MactrolPod - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 20:10

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 20:10
I did this trip with Scott in 2013 ours is a TD4.2Ti Patrol Cab Chassis.
At a squeeze the stock tanks hold 185litres maybe more but not pushed that far.
Wiluna via wells 2, 3, 4 to Kunawaritji was 1158 klm and used 224 litres, (19.35/100)we had 5 Gerry's with us and only used 2 but allowed for the unknown. We picked up our share of the fuel at 23 which was 60 litres, ending up giving it to a bloke having fuel issues.
Then to Halls Creek via Wolfe Creek as Billiluna was closed on Saturday arvo a distance of 913 klm and used 188 litres (20.6/100).
We saw all the wells bar one a fair way off the track that was in ruin.
The north end is easy going hence the better "economy".
Great trip, want to take my wife to see all the flowers, amazing.
FollowupID: 837749

Reply By: Member - Kim H9 - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 15:00

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 15:00
Hi John,
When are you thinking of travelling and which direction will you be heading eg south to north or vice versa?
We are leaving early May to do the route from south to north.
Kim
AnswerID: 552158

Follow Up By: john m85 - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 16:43

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 16:43
hi kim we will be heading south to north but cannot leave early may hope you have a good trip have you done the canning before.
john
FollowupID: 837735

Reply By: Member - Anthony W Adelaide - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 17:34

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 17:34
We travelled the Canning last year from north to south. Your 60 will have no problem if you have decent suspension, and tyres with reduced pressures to suit the conditions. We ran 20psi front and rear and had no troubles.

I would suggest you leave the trailer home, they are not permitted on some of the lower sections between wells 2 and 5 anyway and they just make the going that much harder. Take a swag or tent this time.

Fuel will be a problem for you I think. Its around 1200k? between Wiluna and Kmart (well 33) Maybe look at a long range sub tank if one is available or a roof rack with a few jerrys? If you empty your jerrys one at a time as soon as there is room in the tank, the weight issue should be kept to a minimum.

The Canning is a great drive. Make sure you take your time and soak up the countryside. Don't forget to allow for any side tracks off the main track when estimating your fuel, some of the wells and other highlights are a few k's to the side.

Other than that, the 60's are great cars and as long as they are serviced regularly, high k's are no big deal.
Wooly VKS-737 Mobile 0058

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 552166

Reply By: peter f7 - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 22:15

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 22:15
when we did the CSR in 05 ,we went north to south , the first 2 or 3 days is esay going whick allows you time to use some of your fuel on the roof if thats how you do it .
as everyone said keep ya tyre pressures down an you will have a good trip ,
definately make sure your vehicle is well prepared ,suspension an tyres ,
mechpete
AnswerID: 552190

Reply By: Member - Young Nomads - Friday, Apr 10, 2015 at 22:02

Friday, Apr 10, 2015 at 22:02
Here's a lnk to a good post on a trip on the canning..towed a TVan..on the Track Trailer forum..It's a good site for research for a trip as there are a lot of people who have gone a lot of places...whether you tow a trailer or not...trailers don't do the damage...it's the "people" who don't travel with the correct tyre pressures who ruin it for everyone...it may be a bit of a slog with a conventional trailer..but I won't poo poo anyones dreams :(

Hope you can get to the article with this link.

http://www.tracktrailerforums.com/index.php?topic=1565.0

Cheers Robyn
AnswerID: 552275

Reply By: vk1dx - Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 11:00

Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 11:00
We drove the top half last year as a single vehicle and towed a T-van. Unfortunately my pacemaker fired off at well 36 so to be safe, we departed the CSR at Kunawaratjji and headed west, to more populated areas. We will go back one day and do the bottom half.

We actually found the drive easy. (2005 100 series 4.2TD) The only issue are the corrugations. The dunes were not a problem with 18PSI in the tyres. We didn't even feel the T-van. Fuel was a bit high at 24Lt/100 but we are very heavy because of the extras one carries as a solo traveller. I would take notice of those already posted and get more fuel on board. We have a long range tank and had plenty.

If you have any health issues just remember that there isn't any help available other than a nurse at Kunawaratjii and both ends. The RFDS can land at both ends and Kunawaratjii and maybe a couple of "close" properties so make sure you are first aid prepared and have a sat phone or 4WD HF available. It gave us a scare I tell you!!!! But we were ready with my wife as an ex nurse.

Enjoy it and if you are experienced in solo remote travel it wouldn't normally be an issue.

Own servicing!!!!!!
We had three cars with us initially, but each one broke down, with the last one coming apart at Billiluna, before even getting onto the CSR propper. All were supposedly serviced regularly by their owners! But despite my rule that each one had to be checked over by a good remote 4WD mechanic, they weren't and simple things went wrong. Like brake lines rubbing on body parts and getting damaged and holes in them. Alternator loose and damaged. It had been recently overhauled and installed by the owner. Neither were mechanics, just DIY to save a quid. An independent thorough check by a qualified and 4WD experienced mechanic would have picked that up.

Just quietly, between you and me, I won't lead another trip.

We also met several other solo travellers. So you wont be lonely. Very few bothered with a radio and a lot didn't even have a flag. We came head to head a few times. Luckily all travelled at a safe speed.

Enjoy

AnswerID: 552284

Sponsored Links