How Many GPSs Do You Travel With?

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 17:11
ThreadID: 117450 Views:2480 Replies:19 FollowUps:35
This Thread has been Archived
Following on in a similar vein to SDG's "Could You Make It" and Robin Miller's "Testing Ones Self" threads - how many GPSs do you have while travelling.

This is embarrassing, but I think we have eleven !!!!

A phone each - 2
A tablet each, mine for nav, reading and email, hers for reading and email - 2
A point and shoot camera each, both GPS-equipped - 2
A Magellan Explorist 600 for hiking
A Spot tracker
A GPS equipped EPIRB (hope we never have to use that one :-))
A Bluetooth GPS to connect to the lappy for OziExplorer
One in the vehicle (OEM)

We didn't set out to have eleven, it just sort of happened.

How many do you have?

Cheers

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 17:44

Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 17:44

2 Mobiles, two Vehicle GPS and 1 Hiking.
AnswerID: 552290

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 18:36

Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 18:36
Two vehicle GPSs, Notso! Two in one vehicle, or one in each of two vehicles?

:-)

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837848

Follow Up By: Notso - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 00:33

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 00:33
Yes well the one in the BT50 is so Sh@#full that you need a back up.
FollowupID: 837865

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 08:25

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 08:25
I haven't owned my BT50 long enough to have run into any problems with its Satnav.
It did take me on a weird shortcut through a state forest recently. I ended up not getting to the campsite I had planned on, but found another on the diversion that turned out to be spot on, so I forgave it for that little foible.
Lucky I had 10 other GPSs to monitor where it was taking me! LOL
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837870

Follow Up By: Notso - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 11:41

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 11:41
I guess it's passable but way out of date. $199.00 to update it.

The Garmin is way ahead of it and has lifetime map updates so no contest really.
FollowupID: 837884

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 13:43

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 13:43
Yes, generally updates for in-car nav systems are unreasonably expensive, IMO. It's just mapping data that's often available FOC or cheaply for other systems from the same supplier - Whereis, Navteq, etc.

In the BT50 it's an SD card, easily accessible. I tried some fairly sophisticated back-up :-) utilities to help a mate out but none would do the job. I didn't want to push the boundaries too hard and risk my own card, so my efforts were less than determined. There's some pretty serious protection in there.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837886

Reply By: Member - John - Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 18:14

Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 18:14
Two, Garmin portable and the SatNav in the car....... Damn, I am feeling inadequate
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 552291

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 19:49

Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 19:49
Only two, John. You need more toys :-)

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837851

Reply By: Member - Ian F (WA) - Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 19:02

Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 19:02
1 spot connect (families and friends know where I am)
2 iPad equipped GPS
3 garmin GPS (portable)
4 EPIRB for absolute emergencies .
5 Laptop with TrackRanger and Oziexplorer with GPS Mouse.
AnswerID: 552292

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 19:50

Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 19:50
Five. Not bad, Ian.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837852

Reply By: Idler Chris - Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 19:19

Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 19:19
Spot
2 phones
PLB with GPS
Garmin 276C
Garmin Montana 650t
GPS mouse with Oziexplorer on PC
1 Brain
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 552294

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 19:51

Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 19:51
Seven, Chris. Now we're getting somewhere. Plus the brain, of course - how many is that?????

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837853

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 20:06

Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 20:06
I don't know why I have so many GPS's as I can't get lost because I don't care where I am .
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837855

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 20:20

Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 20:20
Good point Chris.

With eleven GPSs I suppose should know exactly where I'm lost at ! :-)

But do I really care??

Cheers

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837856

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 07:32

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 07:32
This is most embarassing. There is also a facility in the dash cam in the city car to say where we are and whar speed/height etc. I forgot another Frank. Not awake as yet. But we don't have one in the 4WD.
FollowupID: 837867

Reply By: Member - John - Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 19:53

Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 19:53
Forgot the SPOT, so now not feeling as inadequate, LOL
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 552296

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 21:00

Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 21:00
:-)

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837860

Reply By: Member - johnat - Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 20:28

Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 20:28
Just the one!
Any other devices that are GPS capable are not enabled and therefore not GPS "devices" as such. Sure, they have the capacity to be used as such, but the functionality is not enabled - why would you need more than one anyway? Sorta like having more than one clock - each will be slightly different and you will never know which one to believe!
AnswerID: 552298

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 20:49

Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 20:49
Well, there's another question, johnat. How many clocks do people travel with. I'll bet the number is up there with my 11 GPSs :-)

But in my defence, I obviously don't use all my GPSs at once - they are just "there", collected in my travelling kit over time.

At any point in time probably only one or two are in use.

In my tablet, one GPS serves two purposes - it drives OziExplorer with my collection of maps which gives me the big picture and the ability to zoom in, mapping permitting, and to record my track so I can backtrack if necessary. Also, if it's appropriate, it simultaneously drives my turn-by-turn navigator which can be handy. (My TBT navigator has excellent coverage of minor roads and tracks).

Haven't figured out how to use the GPSs in the cameras yet. Maybe take a photo of a flower or bug, upload it to the lappy and then read the metadata. A bit desperate, yes?

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837858

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 07:29

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 07:29
Camera!! That's a point I may check it later.
FollowupID: 837866

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 22:05

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 22:05
"Haven't figured out how to use the GPSs in the cameras yet. Maybe take a photo of a flower or bug, upload it to the lappy and then read the metadata "

Hi

Several (numerous?) programs out there that will read gps metadata on geocoded photos and plot them on a map showing location where picture taken. No idea what they all are....but I use a program called Compegps Land (made by TwoNav crew) to plot photo locations on map of choice. Very handy for work and play.

Unfortuantely this program is not free but would assume there are freeby programs out there. One free image viewing program, Irfanview allows you to plot the position of pictures on Google Earth by use of gps metadata.

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 837929

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 22:23

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 22:23
Thanks Greg, good info.

Cheers

Frank
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837930

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 23:18

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 23:18
No worries

Going OT but there are also programs that utilise gps track logs (specifically from OziExplorer - but suspect any track log converted to Ozi *.plt format would work) that match time Photo taken to Ozi track log point time (and hence position) to create waypoint file of photo location to open in OziExplorer et al. (i.e. dont need a GPS equiped camera). Two examples are

OziPhoto Tool

and

OziPics

OziPhoto Tool has several other good functions (e.g. kml/kmz creationion for Google Earth and you can also "watermark" Photos with coordinates and other info. The program is not longer maintained (not updated since 2008) but may be useful for some.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837932

Follow Up By: Member - johnat - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 09:30

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 09:30
Greg,
Those "time matching" programs imply that the clocks on both devices (the camera and the GPS) are synchronised, in the same time zone, and reasonably accurate.
I had the unfortunate experience of trying to use one of these time match progs to locate photos I'd taken on a trip to Japan. Trouble is the GPS changed to Japan time, the camera was on Eastern DS time, so the locations wouldn't "compute" - and no amount of fiddling with photo metadata would correct it - so I gave up!
FollowupID: 837992

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 10:12

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 10:12
Methinks it would be easier just to add the location to thje file name. Then it doesn't matter how the photos are viewed. Do we really need such accuracy.Well you people may but not our mob. Surely whether we are on the eastern or western side of the MCG wouldn't really matter would it.

That's what I have done to all our photos which are stored under one folder and subsequent directories depending on who, when, why etc and all added to Picassa. Anyone logged onto the home wireless LAN, including the TVs, can see them and you don't need a link to the internet to do it.

Luckily I started back when we got Picassa about 15 years ago so they are all named. Including all the slides and old family photos going back to a few oldies from one ancestor - James Tyson.

FollowupID: 837998

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 20:14

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 20:14
Hello

@johnat

Good trick is to photograph the GPS Time page...you then have Photo time and GPS time so you can determine exact time difference. The programs I mentioned then allow you to enter this difference and they will automatically apply the difference to ensure correct match.

@vk1dx

"Methinks it would be easier just to add the location to thje file name"

Fine..if you can remember where you took the picture :) Easy if there is a recognisable landmark..if not, why not use available technology to figure it out for you and then label your pics?

Obvioulsy being within a few metres is irrelevant for many peoples needs but if the accuracy is there and you need it I cant see the problem. I would never buy a camera without GPS these days...way too handy.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 838017

Reply By: disco driver - Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 20:31

Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 20:31
Where's our sense of adventure?
In the ute it's a "navman" and a phone and a paper topo map. The paper map gets most use, the rest are just for safety purposes.
On the Yamaha, it's just a phone in case and a paper topo map.

Never been lost yet, I always know exactly where I am, don't know how I got here or how to find my way home but I do know where I am. LOL.

Disco.
AnswerID: 552299

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 20:58

Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 20:58
Thanks Disco.

An outback travelling mate of mine said you should always have two methods of navigation wherever you are.

Eg, paper map and GPS, Paper map and local knowledge, local knowledge and GPS, etc.

Have to agree. The most valuable contribution the GPS has made to my travels has been the ability to use OziExplorer to accurately backtrack in confusing terrain/tracks, re-orient myself and subsequently proceed as planned.

So, as you, not really lost, just not where I thought I should be.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837859

Reply By: Member - Young Nomads - Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 21:18

Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 21:18
Just got a Samsung S 10.5 16g WiFi and 4G tablet...use with EoTopo & Mapping
2 x phones...GPS ....Epirb....
We have more Webers than Tech gizmo's..LOL..(7 to be exact)...Like you with your tech bits..accumulated over a long time :)
AnswerID: 552301

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 21:24

Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 21:24
Is that 7 Webers or 7 GPSs ? :-)

7 GPSs is reasonable (sort of) :-), but 7 Webers??

You can only cook so many spare ribs :-)

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837863

Follow Up By: Member - Young Nomads - Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 21:30

Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 21:30
Yes...we use every one of our webers...1 for each.. baby q for the caravan & Tvan...2 x 200 for the "Man cave" and our original.. (first).. purchase for the house. later a Family Q. A kettle and Summit hooded bbq.....we can cook tasty ribs to our stomachs content :)
FollowupID: 837864

Reply By: mack c - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 00:34

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 00:34
Hmm.

One in my car. Plus car camera.
One in hers. Plus car camera.
2 phones. one Tablet. one hand held Garmin 72.
one laptop plus mapping.
2 boats. Both with GPS /Plotters plus one more handheld.
Jeesus. I only got one pr of eyes.

Oh. And an old Garmin 200 and 210
Bought when marine were separate. Just bringing out the plotters.
In the '80's and they still work. I play with them sometime.

Everything there and prior to are Garmin.
There's nothing else on the market as reliable long term.

I go back to the old "Sat Nav's" and Calculators. and Sextant pre them.

If you go real bush. A Plastic "Davis" Sextant is a bloody good backup
with a US Army hand held swing compass on belt.
Mine stamped '57. I had it since '59 when I went in the army.

If ever ALL your electrics gone. you can still shoot stars and the sun.
You will know where you are.
AnswerID: 552303

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 08:16

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 08:16
I forgot one - the dashcam has a GPS for recording speed and location. So that brings my count up to 12. Lol.

But. Mark, if I read you right you're on 13!

I dips me lid :-)
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837869

Reply By: cobber - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 02:22

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 02:22
When I go bush I just take a pack of cards, and if I get lost, I just start playing Solitaire on the bonnet of the vehicle, and you can be sure someone will come along and say “put the red nine on top of the black ten”
AnswerID: 552304

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 20:23

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 20:23
Ain't that the truth. Love it, cobber. Thanks
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837918

Reply By: vk1dx - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 07:12

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 07:12
That's one hell of an overkill having all that Frank. Next we will be saying that life must have been bloody hard without the internet. Having had damned slow internet (<= 0.4 M ) since Christmas, I reluctantly agree but it was much less complicated and a heap slower and private.

We just have one satellite navigation aid in the dash and always carry a paper map plus compass. A satellite phone lives in the glove box.

PS We don't have a GPS. I couldn't afford the transport to carry a Global Positioning Satellite system with us. Sorry, just had to have a dig. Too good a day to be serious.
AnswerID: 552305

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 10:14

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 10:14
Don't be too hard on me, vk1dx :-(

As I've written elsewhere in this thread, the collection wasn't planned, it just sort of happened.

While on the road only three would be on and working at any time - the tablet for navigation, the Spot for tracking and the dashcam.

When we bushwalk there would be just two working, the Magellan and Spot, with the EPIRB in the backpack.

Sunday's as good a day as any for a little digging :-) They are all GPS receivers, aren't they.

Cheers

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837876

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 11:01

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 11:01
GPS receivers. Maybe GPS signal receivers. I will accept that. I don't think the actual satellite system would fit in ours.

No worries mate. Far be it for me to criticise abbreviations (to those who know me - hush up )

We just aren't techno-mad as most. I worked in a very high end electronics environment for communications, surveilance, computing aerospace and systems/data analysis for 40+ years, so the last thing I want is technical junk in the house or car. We don't even have or take a laptop, ipad, tablet etc and no smart phones to be found in our house or car. We don't wear a watch and only one TV in the house. Not even a games box etc. One desktop each and that's it. The old Nokia (non smart) is usually left at home.

For example; We don't have any tyre pressure monitors - I prefer to stop every now and then and check, and maybe even get under and make sure there isn't any grass caught up on the exhaust etc. Good cuppa time. And like a lot recommend - "smell the flowers". So no techo stuff mate.

We go away to get away, if you know what I mean so we don't need any live tracking - No way! The more isolated the better. And that suits the places that we are keen on visiting.

But I see and understand why, it would be easy for people to accumulate lots of electronic gadgets, and not only for 4WD/touring.

Just a bit OT I know, but I thought that I would share why we don't have it all.
FollowupID: 837882

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 17:12

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 17:12
I hail from a technical background in aviation. My ex-industry is full of TLAs - Three Letter Abbreviations, of which "TLA" is one :-)

Horses for courses and each to their own, of course. I like to have or build a few toys and use them, but despite my 11 or 12 "accidentally collected" GPS receivers, I too welcome the simplicity and solitude of travelling and camping as a solo couple well off the beaten track. We don't do it to the extent you perhaps do, but I do appreciate where you're coming from.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837897

Reply By: vk1dx - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 07:21

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 07:21
Forgot. We have an old Nokia (pre smart days) mobile also in the glove box and no internet when travelling.
AnswerID: 552306

Reply By: Sigmund - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 07:51

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 07:51
Spot Messenger - for my solo walking and cross-country skiing. Doesn't provide coordinates unless I have reception on my mobile!
Satphone (provides coordinates) - for our outback trips and group walks/skis.
Current dedicated GPSrs: Garmin Oregon for human-powered trips; Nuvi 55 for the motorbike; Nuvi 2797 for the 4WD.
Old receivers: Nuvi 760, Hema Navigator (partly defective).

Aftermarket mapping: Oztopo for Garmins.

Smartphones and tablets: yes.
AnswerID: 552309

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 21:12

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 21:12
Oooh, Sigmund. Smartphones and tablets, both in the plural. You could be up to 9!

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837924

Reply By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 09:03

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 09:03
Before I and the good one was divorce, ...I had a GPS in the passenger seat.... LOL....If she knew I wrote that I'd cop it...but seriously we still are the greatest of friends and she lives in Orange too, even after divorce love and respect still remains important.

Anyhow I will add , I had a mate (ex EO member) from Darwin ...yeh OK I'll tell his name, he won't mind, it was Noel K . NT , stayed here on the Farm for a week, he was having problems with his new GPS in Victoria , and got totally lost heading out of Orange to the farm after I gave him the Co-Ords, turns out he had it set on Garmin Toppo. I changed it for him back to City Nav' and now he has gone through Sydney and up the coast and is presently at Hat Head with problems, I would hate to think what would have happened in Sydney if I hadn't helped him..

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 552316

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 10:58

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 10:58
Hi Doug,

Yep, I wrote in another part of this thread that a mate of mine said you should always have two methods of navigation. Choose two of GPS, paper map, local knowledge, other people's knowledge. Wise words.

Those who rely on satellite nav alone can get into trouble as the software and mapping in the end product can be pretty crap.

Just recently I was flagged down by a mum and her lovely daughter who were trying to follow the in-car navigator's instructions to a well-known destination. They were driving a Corolla and instead of using the highway were being directed onto "the old coast road", miles out of the way, presumably because the navigator thought it was the most direct route. Unfortunately for them "the old coast road" is now a 30km long sandy fire trail in a National Park and closed!

They had no paper map and no idea of alternative routes. I sent them on their way with a sketch map. Without that they would have had to backtrack and rejoin the highway which would have been about a 100km penalty.

Cheers

PS I enjoy your Sunday History Photos, Doug.

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837881

Reply By: MactrolPod - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 09:30

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 09:30
We have one, also now have a smart phone but don't use the GPS feature.
Haven't thought to use it, assume it is totally independent to phone service like the Garmin.
Leave it turned off like the bluetooth to save battery power anyway.
We also have a sat phone but its a phone only.
Carry paper maps and others in our travel group have an EPIRB plus their own maps and GPS's.
You have 11 wow, supposed the are part of so many devices now.
AnswerID: 552317

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 10:26

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 10:26
That's really it, Mactrolpod, GPS is a standard inclusion in so many consumer devices now so it's easy to end up with a collection of the things.

Of the 12 that I have, I only set out to buy 4. The Magellan Explorist was the first, years ago and for a long time was all by itself. Then came the Spot, then the GPS enabled tablet for remote and off-road navigation and finally the EPIRB.

The other 8 just came as inclusions in the box.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837878

Reply By: Member - WBS - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 11:04

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 11:04
Ah! My favourite subject. I am regularly ridiculed for GPS gadgets, so let me see:
- Garmin Etrex
- 7" GPS for Off road work running OziExplorer using EOTopo 2015.1 and Hema maps.
- TomTom for towns & cities (Caravan parks etc)
- Garmin Nuvi 251 for same (I use either the TomTom or the Garmin depending on which one the kids haven't borrowed.)
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, 10.1 - Running OziExplorer for Android
- Ipad -
- GlobeSat BT338 (you just never know when it will be required.)

Note: we have 2 iPhones but don't use them for data, hence no navigation.

So on my windscreen, I have a TomTom or Garmin plus my 7"GPS.

I am relieved to know that I am not the worst offender.

WBS
AnswerID: 552324

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 11:33

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 11:33
Hah! But I reckon you're getting close, WBS, maybe closer than you think!

Those two iPhones - if they are GPS equipped then that adds two to the count, even if you don't use them, making 9 :-)

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837883

Reply By: Member - Robert1660 - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 18:15

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 18:15
Hi All, and especially Frank who started this interesting thread. Apart from the two smart phones that we have, and by the way are rarely used for navigation, the iPad running Memory Map is my primary means of electronic navigation. The ability of the iPad to track is quite amazing. Of course it does become a little confused at times in mountainous regions.
The in-car system, Landcruiser 200, is to say the least rather average, however during the recent Hot Air Balloon Festival it did come in handy for tracking our way through some unfamiliar suburbs as the balloons were chased.
The other system is an Iridium Sat phone which is able to send SMS messages with a clickable link which will enable the recipient to find your location via Google Maps.
With respect to bushwalking I have done most of mine using a compass and a map only. Provided there are identifiable landforms it is remarkable how accurately you are able to determine your position. Taking a GPS bushwalking is an excellent backup but in unfamiliar areas absolute attention to a good topographic map is essential and being able to use a compass would always be my first choice.
Robert
Landcruiser 200 VX Diesel + 19ft Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 552348

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 20:30

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 20:30
Thanks Robert.

Our Globalstar satphone does not have a built-in GPS but can provide an approximate position using triangulation from the satellite constellation, accurate to about 5km.

But with 12 other real GPS positions, I think we are covered :-)

Haven't really tested the Mazda's GPS for accuracy, but am reasonably impressed with what it does. It's only a month old, so not really tested yet on any out-of-the-way roads and tracks.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837920

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 07:43

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 07:43
Gday Frank,

Just back after 6 weeks away. This is what we carried:
#1 My phone
#2 Wife's phone
#3 Spare phone
#4 8" Samsung tablet
#5 7" Nexus tablet
#6 Garmin Etrex
#7 Panasonic Camera
#8EPIRB
#9Inmarsat Sat phone
#10 Mouse GPS for laptop
#11 Landcruiser factory GPS
#12 Tomtom

Embarassing :-)
AnswerID: 552423

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 20:54

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 20:54
Yes, Phil.

I think you're a GPS tragic like me!

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 838024

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 11:16

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 11:16
Never really counted ours, Frank, but have the following:

2 Garmin Nuvi's - the newer one's receiver no longer works, it still thinks it's at the Barkly Homestead. :-)

2 iPads with Hema maps

2 phones, a smart phone & a half smart phone

Hema HN5i

And that's about it. Looks like I'll have an excuse to purchase another Garmin when next in JB HiFi.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 552426

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 20:56

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 20:56
Bob,

5 working, maybe 5.5 if you count that half-smart phone :-)

You're on the way to being a GPS tragic, but as yet still in the "safe zone" :-)

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 838025

Sponsored Links