OziExplorer and off road nav - finding the balance?

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 15, 2015 at 19:04
ThreadID: 117496 Views:3321 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have read a lot of information on this forum which has been great and elsewhere but am still a bit confused, apologies for what probably are pretty straight forward questions and the long thread. Currently we have a:

• In dash Windows CE device installed in the 4WD with OziExplorer CE installed but not fully licensed yet. This device is running Igo street nav and the navigation app currently installed has the ability at start-up to select either street nav or off-road nav (OziExplorer CE) so this is sorted.
• MacAir running Windows 7 64-bit version loaded with OziExplorer PC Trial and Demo executable versions
• iPhone 4S but am likely to switch to Android mobile phone in the future which may be after we get back from the upcoming trip if the current iPhone holds up as it won’t get used much.

The Exploroz thread ID 109054 was particularly useful for my situation and I think I am looking at purchasing the following:
• OziExplorer CE upgrade ($40)
• EOZI CE ($10) to make it a bit easier to use in the 4WD
EOTopo 200K Download ($90)
• Eventually I may look to OziExplorer for Android on a higher end HTC or Samsung smartphone but I think this will be later on and I don’t think it’s really needed now. My thinking is that I would prefer to buy the Android version over the OziExplorer PC full version if we need a device out of the vehicle to look at maps etc.
• As a paper backup we have a Camps 6 or 7 and Hema Atlas and compass. From a trip done to these areas years ago it seemed like there was plenty of information available all along the way in various forms apart from the obvious of chatting the fellow travellers.

Is this a good way to start off as I am a novice at off road navigation and would there be anything else we should be looking at or thinking about?

Will EOTopo 200K maps be accessible/viewable from the OziExplorer PC Trial or Demo version? At this stage I think our use at the PC will be for discussing future activities for bush camps, routes/track and POIs etc rather than creating way points and routes etc. Hopefully it’s simple enough to do basic way points on the OziExplorer CE device.

How do you get camp information (free and paid for) loaded on the OziExplorer CE and free PC maps or are these already on the EOTopo 200K maps and can be searched etc?

Would the the OziExplorer for Android and new Android smartphone be better to get sooner rather than later if we go for walks or want to discuss where we are headed next in the evenings etc if the free PC version’t have enough functionality. Do people who go for long walks take this type of navigation with them?

Would EOTreks Route Files be a worth while edition and if so how would we use them? e.g. does it contain walking or fishing information around the routes travelled etc. If we did this, we would put all the trek notes on an older iPad that my other half uses for blogging, email, reference information in car etc as the Mac Air only seems to come out when we are camped or making use of a Telstra internet connectivity when its available for work etc. At $60 it seems a bit pricey but it could well be a bargain if it is really useful.

I am assuming the EOTopo 200K maps single license can be copied and used on our OziExplorer PC, CE and Android devices. Is this correct?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2015 at 20:29

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2015 at 20:29
Hi Sam.

I'll leave it for others to answer the other queries but, re:

"Would the the OziExplorer for Android and new Android smartphone be better to get sooner rather than later if we go for walks or want to discuss where we are headed next in the evenings etc if the free PC version’t have enough functionality. Do people who go for long walks take this type of navigation with them?".

I have used Ozi for Android on a smartphone while on walks but I've found it difficult to see the small screen in bright sunshine, plus battery life could be a problem on long walks. When I have used it I have only used it between sleep-mode when I've actually needed to check where I was 'on the map.

For long bushwalks, I just use a low end handheld gps (E-trex) loaded with waypoints. If you're serious about this sort of thing Walks GPS gives you an idea of what's possible. Walks GPS

Cheers.

AnswerID: 552503

Follow Up By: Sam39 - Thursday, Apr 16, 2015 at 11:21

Thursday, Apr 16, 2015 at 11:21
Thanks, I have a similar idea in mind to just power it up or from sleep mode when I want to check where we are or something else. If it doesn't do the job I can always move to an e-trex or similar, I want to try and keep the number of devices we use to a minimum (at least initially).
FollowupID: 838113

Reply By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2015 at 22:04

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2015 at 22:04
Hello

RE: "Will EOTopo 200K maps be accessible/viewable from the OziExplorer PC Trial or Demo version?"

Yes EOTopo will work with Trial Version.....as per Ozi website...

"The Trial Version has almost all the features of the full version (works with all supported image formats and datums)..."

If you head down the OziExplorer path would recommend PC version in addition to Android/CE Version. The Android/CE versions are cut down versions of the PC version and lack many useful/needed functions (depending I suppose on your particular requirements).

Probably wont go wrong with OziExplorer but keep in mind there is also Memory Map which has Android and Apple Ios versions..and also TwoNav which I like. Suss out supporting (PC) software for these programs before diving in (i.e. $ for full functions). Hard to suggest with full confidence ideal set up for any one person.

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 552511

Follow Up By: Sam39 - Thursday, Apr 16, 2015 at 12:20

Thursday, Apr 16, 2015 at 12:20
Thanks, sounds like I should check out Memory Map a bit more. I had disregarded it as it didn't have a CE version but this wouldn't really matter if the EOTopo 200K downloaded maps work on Memory Map as well.

Does this mean EOTopo 200K with "Memory-Map Option" (not USB/SD or "Download Option") maps single purchase of maps can be copied and used on our OziExplorer/Memory Map for PC, OziExplorer CE and OziExplorer/Memory Map for Android and Memory Map IOS without any issues? (as per license info below)

This adds a new dimension if I can get away with purchasing one set of maps and using them with whatever software i end up with.

From EOTopo page "User Licence"
EOTopo 200K purchased from ExplorOz is licensed to a single customer by name, which is registered in our database. Each licence allows use on 2 PCs and 2 mobile devices owned/used by that customer. Memory-Map users operate under the user licence offered within the Memory-Map system.
FollowupID: 838115

Reply By: vk1dx - Thursday, Apr 16, 2015 at 14:59

Thursday, Apr 16, 2015 at 14:59
We also got the Hema map collection on CD. We use OziCE in the car and Ozi on the PC for planning before we go and debrief when we come home. Don't use it out of the car. No mobile devices like androids etc.

Have tried others and Ozi is our personal favourite. I think that most members of our club also use Ozi.
AnswerID: 552536

Reply By: Sam39 - Thursday, Apr 16, 2015 at 16:33

Thursday, Apr 16, 2015 at 16:33
I worked from some more reading that EOTopo has can the ExplorOz Places data in for camps, POIs etc from the date of the last product release so this answers that question for me.
AnswerID: 552541

Sponsored Links