Laura - aboriginal art sites

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 16, 2015 at 17:40
ThreadID: 117514 Views:1375 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We are travelling to northern Queensland in June/ July, and hope to visit some of the Quinkanrock art sites in the area around Laura. We would appreciate advice as to the best sites to visit, and also the best place to camp in the area (suitable for an off-road caravan). Thanks, Judy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - tommo05 - Thursday, Apr 16, 2015 at 18:12

Thursday, Apr 16, 2015 at 18:12
Not sure about the camping, but the best site for the rock art is just a few k's before Laura and you can't miss it because there are signs warning you that it is coming up. You can do a self-guided tour that only takes 15-30 mins, or you can get a guided tour that takes you to the less easily accessible sites. Not sure but you might need to book the guided tour at the visitor centre in Laura and I think it takes a couple of hours. I've only done the self-guided tour but it's well worth it.

It's a bit of a steep walk up the hill so make sure you have some good walking shoes.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 552549

Follow Up By: Member - jb2211 - Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 20:56

Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 20:56
Thank you for that info- much appreciated!
FollowupID: 838567

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Thursday, Apr 16, 2015 at 18:20

Thursday, Apr 16, 2015 at 18:20
I presume you will be going to the Laura Aboriginal Dance Festival, starting 19/6/15!
http://www.lauradancefestival.com/
World class event and not to be missed.
Slide show...
http://s246.photobucket.com/user/Peter_n_Margaret/slideshow/09%203%20Laura%20slides

Video clips....

There are art galleries quite close to the Bora dance ground. The locals will be offering guided tours I expect.
There is also a very good Quinkan Visitors Centre in town that would be worth asking at.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 552551

Follow Up By: Member - jb2211 - Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 20:57

Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 20:57
Thank you for that info- I didn't know about the dance festival
FollowupID: 838568

Reply By: thephantom - Thursday, Apr 16, 2015 at 20:59

Thursday, Apr 16, 2015 at 20:59
Hi jb2211.
Back in 2008 hubby and I visited Laura in October. The following is an excerpt from our journal at the time.

"The Stopped at Split Rock art site. JD did the steep walk up to Split Rock where there are three art sites in close proximity-Split Rock, Flying Fox, Tall Spirits. The sites in these overall areas are considered amongst the oldest in Australia. The sites of this region are referred to as Quinkan art. Called in at the Cultural Centre and it was suggested that we park the van behind the Quinkan pub in Laura. Checked it out, and in the beginning not too impressed but stayed and thankful that we did. Further from the road/noise etc. Nice shady spot, cold drinks at the pub-what more can you want. Pub owned by Kevin who had the Clancy Hotel in Canberra for ten years.
Next day returned to the cultural centre and were picked up by Matthew Tresize (son of Percy, author and artist) at 10.30 to do the drive to Mushroom Rock to see the aboriginal rock art there. Great drive through a cattle station, terrific paintings and excellent info from Matthew."

The Mushroom Rock tour was booked at the Cultural Centre and the staff there were very helpful. We chose this tour as not much walking was needed-I had some mobility issues at that time.

Here is a link to the cultural centre and more up to date info re Laura. http://www.quinkancc.com.au/

Hope you enjoy your trip.
Julie

AnswerID: 552560

Follow Up By: Member - jb2211 - Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 20:58

Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 20:58
Thanks - that is really useful info- much appreciated!
FollowupID: 838569

Sponsored Links