Keeping a record of treks on a map

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 15:27
ThreadID: 117582 Views:1703 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hello,

I would like to be able to trace/draw my previous trips onto an Australian map on the confuser :-) does anyone know of a program that will enable me to do this.

Regards

Cobba

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 16:09

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 16:09
Cobba,

What we have done is obtain an image file (eg jpg) of a suitable map, or have a paper map scanned in - you would need to go to a business such as Officeworks with a large scanner to scan a large map.

Then we loaded the file into an image editing program on the PC. Our Win7 machine came with Corel Paint loaded - it's great. You don't need Corel - any graphics prog will do.

Then run a highlighter tool over the routes you want to show.

If you want a large map printed, back to Officeworks or whoever.

Keep your map file on a stick and keep editing as you go, with an occasional re-print as desired.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 552802

Follow Up By: Kym M - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 18:11

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 18:11
Thanks For the advice Frank. Will get stuck in and give it a go. Regards Cobba
FollowupID: 838488

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 18:23

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 18:23
Remember to make a backup of the file you're about to work on. That way, if you screw it up and don't like what you've done in the current editing session, you have a good copy to fall back on and start again.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 838491

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 19:20

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 19:20
Hi

There are a number of free Australian map downloads available if you click on the EOTopo tab above, so for a start wouldn't bother scanning your own unless these maps are unsuitable.

Several image formats/scales available but if you are using a basic image editing program would suggest tiff format. Choose scale that suits you, though some of the smaller scales (10M or 5M..and even 2.5M) may not have tracks you used shown.

If you get more serious and record your tracks with a GPS then one of the gps mapping programs (Memory Map, OziExplorer etc etc) will certainly make your task easier (in which case download compatible map image format with calibration file). Doesn't matter if the track you traveled isn't shown on the map then - all plotted from your gps data.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 838498

Reply By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 16:48

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 16:48
I use Oziexplorer and the track files I saved while on the trips. I also have some short ones that I did locally and simply made them with Ozi Track points functions".
I haven't printed it as I don't have a printer large enough but mainly because I don't need to.

With Ozi you can display any or all at any time you wish.

Here are three trips. One around Chambers Pillar. Another around the Flinders and one through the Simpson Desert.

AnswerID: 552804

Follow Up By: Kym M - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 18:20

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 18:20
Thanks for getting back to me vk1dx. I enjoyed my trip in to see Chambers Pillar. I will have a play and see what I can come up with.
Regards
Cobba
FollowupID: 838490

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 19:09

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 19:09
During planning I put heaps and heaps of track points along the planned route. I can then load that track file into a track number higher than 1 and simply follow it.

When I come home I dump the plan and use the actual track file with my "Where we have been" files.
FollowupID: 838497

Follow Up By: Michaeljp - Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 11:35

Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 11:35
i just use the big Hema wall map and high light the tracks.
FollowupID: 838529

Sponsored Links