Headlight Globes

Hi everyone,

Awhile ago there was a thread about headlight globes.............. I can't find it to reference to.

What is/are the better brands of headlight globes.

Base info................

80 Series Landcruiser with 120 amp alternator that feeds power to a Pirana Superloom to supply the power to the current lighting. BTW, there are two 1000 CCA cat batteries under the bonnet as well.

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 17:32

Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 17:32
Not into aftermarket extra lights here Wayne but I have improved my lighting by up to 3 times by using Narva +100 standard fit globes and using relay for lighting and also have ability to have have low beam lights on with high beam.

Note - what they don't tell you is that higher output standard fit globes have reduced life but draw the same low current.
A bit less life isn't much of an issue - but its always good to carry one of you swapped out globes as a spare.

http://www.narva.com.au/pressreleases/asset_id/84/cid/1/parent/0/t/pressreleases/title/worlds-first-plus-100-globe-now-available-in-australasia
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 552848

Follow Up By: Wayne's 60 - Friday, Apr 24, 2015 at 09:10

Friday, Apr 24, 2015 at 09:10
Thanks Robin,

We are not big fans of night driving or the need for extra lighting.
We stand by what we teach with regards to being set up in camp early and not to become a "victim" of the four o'clock track.

Only once have we packed up camp at night and travelled to a different location, extenuating circumstance in this case.

I have been told that normal globes with normal usage should see 10,000 hours, ours do not seem to get anywhere near that.

I will look into your suggested globes and thank you for the link.

Safe travels.

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.

FollowupID: 838587

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2015 at 09:45

Saturday, Apr 25, 2015 at 09:45
these "plus" light globes are a great solution, I got some from the UK, "plus-100" they're pretty good
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 838626

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 17:51

Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 17:51
Wayne,

Back when we had an 80 series, I was always looking for the ultimate headlight globe.

Used to buy 130/90 watt globes from Kmart or Big W, and wondered why they never lasted. More often than not it was the low beam filament that would blow......think about it, how many cars do you see on the highway at night, on low beam and only one light working?

Started buying Hella 100/90 globes, and they seemed to last much better. Had also changed all the lenses for top quality items, IPF or Hella. Read years ago there is a German brand that are the best, not home at mo so can't confirm what they are.

Think the type mentioned by Robin are good value, with the Piranha loom you have. He also makes a good point...........keep the old ones in the vehicle for any potential blackouts.

But then you could always go HID or LED.......just kidding, or am I? :-)

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 552849

Follow Up By: Wayne's 60 - Friday, Apr 24, 2015 at 09:20

Friday, Apr 24, 2015 at 09:20
Thanks Bob,

I agree that some of the cheaper brands do not last and SCA 90/130 are what I am using at the moment. One side is easy to replace, the driver's side is the tougher one with the aftermarket battery tray hold down getting in the way.

It is time to hunt down some better quality reflectors too, as one has a crack in the front glass and I seem to recall trying to teach one of the others to swim, ummmm .......... without success ;-(

Are you kidding??........ NO!!
HID was the suggested replacement :-)

Safe travels.

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.
FollowupID: 838588

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2015 at 09:48

Saturday, Apr 25, 2015 at 09:48
I found the 130/90's were very poor quality, and the one thing that's the enemy of the halogen filament is heat, and 90w all the time and 130 when you can is a fair increase in light (read heat) over the designed 60/55w that the lights would have been designed for. Had a mate who HID'd his 80 series lights, thats really the ultimate.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 838627

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Apr 25, 2015 at 19:39

Saturday, Apr 25, 2015 at 19:39
HID's are good alright. They're probably a bit like sex, Bonz? Once you've had it once, you'd probably like to have it again!

Was in Longreach, just before Easter looking for a set of H7 HID lights, and the well stocked auto parts shop had a kit each of H1, H3 and a Hi-Lo kit of H4s. Asked after the H7s, and he asked what I needed them for. Falcon high beam, says I. That's illegal he says. But it's only high beam, y'know, the small inner lights. But it's still illegal, he replies. Bit frustrated by this, I gave up on getting my H7's.

Not real quick on the uptake, but should have asked him if they were illegal, why was he selling the H4s...........or for that matter, the other kits as well.

Wayne,

Bonz has reminded me that when we had the 80 series, I fitted a set of 35 w HIDs to the inner, high beam lights. With the upgraded lamps, night driving was brilliant, and I rarely used the halogen driving lights. Definitely worth trying this option!

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 838645

Follow Up By: garrycol - Saturday, Apr 25, 2015 at 19:42

Saturday, Apr 25, 2015 at 19:42
Not illegal for offroad use or in a vehicle that is correctly setup for HIDS and meets ADRs.
FollowupID: 838646

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Apr 25, 2015 at 21:29

Saturday, Apr 25, 2015 at 21:29
That's right. And you could say they're only illegal if you get caught using them, on road.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 838656

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 26, 2015 at 09:06

Sunday, Apr 26, 2015 at 09:06
I do recall some illegality around HID retrofitting, and H4's especially as they have a different point light source that older reflectors cope poorly with.

Its a bit rough when you have to upgrade the whole vehicle as well as the light globe ....

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 838668

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Apr 26, 2015 at 12:07

Sunday, Apr 26, 2015 at 12:07
Some HID retro headlights appear to be more "glarey" than others? Perhaps some are using higher wattage kits, or they don't bother to adjust the beam down a little.

Have mentioned this before on this site. Was pulled up just before daylight, on Thomson River, near Longreach. One sergeant asked how I liked the HID's, then walked away with a smirk on his face.

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 838690

Reply By: nickb - Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 18:55

Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 18:55
I have found the Phillips range to be brighter, longer lasting and more expensive than the narva equivalent. This is in 2x GU patrols and 1x NP Pajero over the last 8 years.
AnswerID: 552853

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 19:04

Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 19:04
Yes Phillips and Osram seem to be the best
FollowupID: 838557

Follow Up By: Wayne's 60 - Friday, Apr 24, 2015 at 09:24

Friday, Apr 24, 2015 at 09:24
Thank you Nick and Alby for your comments,

I have heard that Phillips and Narva are ok, though I can't say that I have seen Osram lamps anywhere.......time to go hunting.

Safe travels.

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.
FollowupID: 838589

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Friday, Apr 24, 2015 at 10:33

Friday, Apr 24, 2015 at 10:33
Wayne

I bought the Osrams online from England I think it was after they were recommended to me
I think they were called crystal vision or something like that. It was a result of a comparo I read and the Osram and Phillips ones rated the best.
I have tried a few other brands as well but agree these were the best and lasted longest.

That comparo was a few years back so no doubt the game has changed again since then

Whenever I get new lamps I only change one initially and use it for a week to see if it is an improvement on the previous ones.

Ask the passenger for an opinion as well in case it is just placebo effect hahaha
FollowupID: 838593

Follow Up By: Member - Gnomey - Friday, Apr 24, 2015 at 16:24

Friday, Apr 24, 2015 at 16:24
Agreed Nick. No experience with the Narva but the Phillips globes in my suby are 5+ years old and the ones in the troopy are at least 4 years old. Not huge use for either vehicle at night but no failures.

Cheers
Mark
FollowupID: 838613

Sponsored Links