What to do in the Cape

Submitted: Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 16:00
ThreadID: 11766 Views:1827 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

I am heading up to Cape York in August. I will have 4 weeks from Cairns to explore this area. I will be travelling with one other vehicle who will be towing a Track Shak camper trailer. I wont be towing anything !
Both vehicles are very capaple Landcruisers fitted with all the goodies including Diff-Locks. Having not travelled this area before could you guys and gals please suggest to me, some must do tracks, or even an iteniry of your past ventures up to this region.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Troopie - Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 16:14

Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 16:14
Lots of fishing - and take a boat if you can at all!!!

Be prepared to wander a little off the main north/south tracks - you wont regret it.

Have a great trip!

Cheers
AnswerID: 52952

Follow Up By: Leroy - Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 16:18

Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 16:18
fishing is what I was going to say lol (and take a boat!!)

Leroy
FollowupID: 314732

Follow Up By: Troopie - Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 16:29

Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 16:29
I s'pose if a boat is out of the question - go on a fishing charter out from Weipa....
FollowupID: 314735

Reply By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 16:40

Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 16:40
Should be fantastic up there this year with the wet that they've had. The waterfalls will be fantastic. Cooktown is well worth a couple of days at least. Can't remember its name, but there was a nice cp park just north of Cooktown (30k's I think) Chilli beach is good to chill out on but I might have expected more to see than what was there but worth the drive. Somerset was great and top of my list was Horn Island. Worst thing by far is the Development Road. I'd go up and back by the Telegraph track next time.
Have a great trip
AnswerID: 52960

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 06:36

Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 06:36
Theres lots to see and do in the cape and its going to an adventure with all the water around.
Going into chilli will be fun but should be ok by the time you get there.
As per usuall walk all river crossings before driving and take your time.

All the best
Eric

www.capeyorkconnections.com.au
AnswerID: 53026

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 11:09

Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 11:09
& don't forget to watch for crocs
FollowupID: 314823

Follow Up By: Graeme - Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 18:32

Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 18:32
Hi Eric

I think I saw you say elsewhere that your 1st trip of the year was in June?

How much water are you expecting? For us novices going to the Cape this year, what extra requirements does the extra wet result in?

How wet are you expecting it to be? (Maybe I have to buy a snorkel for my petrol Prado) :}
FollowupID: 314846

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce (San Diego) - Sunday, Apr 04, 2004 at 01:27

Sunday, Apr 04, 2004 at 01:27
Graeme,

I wouldn't go up this year without a snorkle, I would think the rivers woutld be running pretty full for most of the season.

You will need all the rivercrossing stuff, blind, etc. I don't know anything about the electrics, computor etc on a Prado but would think it would be pretty devastating to drown them.

You would probably be OK if you just drive up and down the Development road and Bypass ---- but that's not much fun.
FollowupID: 314867

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Sunday, Apr 04, 2004 at 07:35

Sunday, Apr 04, 2004 at 07:35
Graeme Bruce has summed it up pretty well with a good blind and well fitted this should be fine.
Is the air in take on the prado behind the headlight if you tarp up there with care this should be ok find out were your computer stuff is .
The rivers on the old track should not be to bad the pascoe on the french track could be a problem and getting into chilli could be hard work.
The hard work this year will be comming out of creeks very soft.
But with good rubber and correct tyre preasures you should be ok.
As per usual walk all creeks and plot a coarse i still walk most of them.
Some of the creeks look simple but you will be suprised when you walk them were you acctually have to drive to miss the holes.

Hope this helps
Eric

www.capeyorkconnections.com.au
FollowupID: 314869

Follow Up By: mark - Saturday, Apr 17, 2004 at 19:35

Saturday, Apr 17, 2004 at 19:35
Eric,
My wife and i are heading to the top around the 20th June this year. Just lately we have seen a lot of reports of people being taken by large scaley reptiles. If this is so how do you know the creeks and rivers you are walking are croc free. The wife has just told me there is no way she is getting out of the car to walk the rivers and the kids are too small. So the duties are left up to me. Secondly if you have a snorkel how come you still recomend a blind for water crossings? As your original post on road conditions was submitted on the 3rd April, how are the roads looking now? We are keeping close eyes on the conditions in case we have to make alternate travel plans. On the exploreoz road conditions page Lakefield is still closed to all vehicles when is it expected or usually open?
REgards Mark W
FollowupID: 316383

Reply By: Cruisin - Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 07:49

Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 07:49
Thanks everyone for your replys.
Cannot wait to get going !!
AnswerID: 53030

Reply By: Member - Bruce (San Diego) - Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 15:50

Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 15:50
Call in at Bramwell Station and see if the track out to the Olive river is open. Wendy was going to open it up a bit more but with all the rain it might be a bit dodgy to get out there, Stop and have a beer and shower at Bramwell anyway.

The Pascoe on Frenchmans might be a little hairy this year also with the rain.

Bruce
AnswerID: 53075

Sponsored Links