Gibb River Rd Imintji Roadhouse closed

Submitted: Saturday, May 02, 2015 at 20:38
ThreadID: 117701 Views:2715 Replies:1 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Just received notification from birgit bradtke:
"Please everybody be aware that

IMINTJI ROADHOUSE HAS CLOSED ITS DOORS!!

The roadhouse has been closed as a result of a dispute over lease conditions between the Aboriginal community and those contracted to run the shop. The community hopes that another company will eventually re-open the shop, but for now the roadhouse is closed indefinitely. 

If you are travelling from Derby, make sure you have enough fuel and supplies to last you to Mt. Barnett Roadhouse. 

If you are travelling from the Kununurra/Wyndham/El Questro side, make sure you fuel up and stock up at Mt. Barnett to last you to Derby

This is a huge loss. Imintji Roadhouse is an icon on the Gibb River Road and a lovely place to stop at, not to mention the convenience of having two places along the road where travellers can get supplies. Let's hope that things will eventually be worked out. And until they are, throw in another jerry can or two and some extra food, and enjoy the trip regardless. One way to look at it is that this adventure trip just became a bit more adventurous again :-). 

Take care and talk soon!
Birgit 
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Saturday, May 02, 2015 at 21:03

Saturday, May 02, 2015 at 21:03
Hi

No idea who or what is birgit bradtke but this topic (closure of Imintji RH) was discussed in a couple of threads a month or so ago...

Thread 1

Thread 2

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 553199

Follow Up By: Member - Carolyn & Peter L - Saturday, May 02, 2015 at 21:36

Saturday, May 02, 2015 at 21:36
My apologies.. i have been off-line preparing for our trip and haven't been on the forum for a while.
Birgit has a wonderful website about the kimberly and a very informative e-book.
FollowupID: 838975

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, May 02, 2015 at 22:37

Saturday, May 02, 2015 at 22:37
'B's web site....
http://www.kimberleyaustralia.com/

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 838978

Follow Up By: OBJ - Sunday, May 03, 2015 at 09:17

Sunday, May 03, 2015 at 09:17
Birgit is very good at updating people about changing conditions and events in the Kimberley. Her website is excellent.
One hops that the possible multiple postings of this important piece of information has not upset your precious sensibilities too much.
OBJ
FollowupID: 838988

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, May 03, 2015 at 10:56

Sunday, May 03, 2015 at 10:56
@ Carolyn & Peter

No worries and no big deal - I was just pointing out that it had been discussed before and provided links for easy reference. The information you have provide from "B"s website on where best to fuel up is a handy addition to the discussion.

@ Peter

Thanks - will have a look.

@OBJ

Cheer up mate - life isn't that bad...and keep on hopping :)

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 838997

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, May 03, 2015 at 22:18

Sunday, May 03, 2015 at 22:18
Thanks Greg, you did well to find them. When I saw the post I was going to try and dig them up, then discovered you'd done the hard yards and posted.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 839057

Sponsored Links