Plenty and Great central Road -

We are considering a trip across the centre via the above roads in July. We will be travelling in a 6 ton truck converted to a motor home, This will be our first trip into the area.
Is there reliable fuel supplies and what would be the longest distance without fuel?

What would be the most suitable tyre pressure for this type of vehicle on these roads?
Has anyone been through these roads lately?
Any other helpful advice for first times?
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, May 04, 2015 at 20:06

Monday, May 04, 2015 at 20:06
What brand of truck, Roy?

Can't help you west of Yulara, Roy, but you shouldn't have trouble with fuel after the Alice. It's only 800 odd kms from Alice to Boulia, and fuel is available at Jervious and Tobermorey. Can't remember if Gem Tree had fuel, or not? What's your fuel capacity? 200L or more?

Re the tyres, what size are fitted to the truck, and what's the GVM of the vehicle? You might be able to go down to 50-60 psi, depending on tyre section and weight, but you'd need to be a bit sedate if you're running heavy.

Plenty of bitumen (about 100 kms) after the Qld border, but is in sections so you might need to up the pressures closer to normal for this section.

We haven't been across there since 2011, and we camped at Gem Tree (good) and at Bendgeacca Creek, about 10 kms out of Boulia, just off the Mt Isa road. Stopped at Jervious too, for an ice-cream, but didn't camp there. In 2011 there was a lot of grass right up to the road, and was difficult to find a camp site. This year you mightn't have the same problem.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 553316

Follow Up By: Member - Roy K - Monday, May 04, 2015 at 21:34

Monday, May 04, 2015 at 21:34
Thanks for your reply . Our truck is 2005 Isuzu FFR 525 with a GVM of 10400 on the little wheels . Not sure of the actual size will have to check . The fuel tank holds 200 litres. We use the truck to cart horses but can convert it to a motorhome. We will be travelling from the Queensland side.
FollowupID: 839138

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, May 04, 2015 at 23:45

Monday, May 04, 2015 at 23:45
How far can you go on a full tank Roy? 800 kilometres?

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 839141

Follow Up By: The Landy - Wednesday, May 06, 2015 at 10:17

Wednesday, May 06, 2015 at 10:17
Roy

To follow up on Bob’s suggestions on camping, Arthur River which is about 50 kilometres east of Jevois is a great spot to spend a day or two.

Just in case you haven’t had a chance to review, the following Trek notes are quite useful from a planning and information perspective.

Plenty Highway Notes

Great Central Road Notes

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
FollowupID: 839210

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Monday, May 04, 2015 at 20:37

Monday, May 04, 2015 at 20:37
We're doing the same trip from mid-July, heading West from Leonora via Uluru, Alice etc and then on via the Plenty to Winton before heading for the coast - so may see you on the road.
Three vehicles with camper trailers in our group, but not anywhere near your vehicle size so can't really offer any advice re fuel or tyre pressures - other than the usual common sense stuff like planning ahead and driving to the conditions!!
Cheers
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 553318

Follow Up By: MARIC - Wednesday, May 06, 2015 at 09:05

Wednesday, May 06, 2015 at 09:05
So are we but leaving beginning July from Albany via Hyden and going as far as Dalby Qld got 8 weeks for trip heading back via St George and Bourke.
Might see you on the road. All the best
It is only when you see mosquito land on your testicles that you find another way to solve problems without violence

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 839208

Reply By: 671 - Monday, May 04, 2015 at 23:15

Monday, May 04, 2015 at 23:15
Roy

Try ringing the manufacturer of your tyres for advice on pressures. I have done it a few times over the years when I either buy a new car or try a new brand of tyre. Their customer information service is there for reasons like that and they usually give you far more information that you thought there was to give.
AnswerID: 553325

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, May 04, 2015 at 23:37

Monday, May 04, 2015 at 23:37
Hi Roy, I have not been across the Plenty, but when crossing the Great Central Road, the longest distance between fuel outlets is 254 kilometres. You can contact me privately for full details of distances, fuel outlets, the main camping areas and highlights to see and do on the Great Central Road.

I cannot say what tyre pressures would be best for your vehicle, but with a heavily laden for big trips F250 and caravan we went to 25 psi cold for the most corrugated roads.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 553326

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, May 04, 2015 at 23:43

Monday, May 04, 2015 at 23:43
Gemtree do supply Diesel and ULP, but sometimes have to limit quantities. If you are going to rely on fuel at Gemtree, telephone a few days earlier to check availability and discuss your needs.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 553327

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Wednesday, May 06, 2015 at 10:08

Wednesday, May 06, 2015 at 10:08
Hi Roy

Fuel no problems as others have stated.

Tyre pressures - make sure your compressor is up to the task of re-inflating your tyres to road pressures. Most portables won't get to the pressure you need or will over heat before they do. If you already have one check it out before you go. If you need to get one, get them to show you it in action before you buy it.

If you have air over hydraulic brakes or air brakes on your rig, you may be able to use the onboard compressor to inflate the tyres from the auxiliary air tank. You may need to get an adaptor and hose to do the job. Easy enough from Super cheap or a hose supply company.

Don't forget a good tyre gauge "for a truck" the ones for 4WD/cars may not read high enough.

Cheers

Anthony
AnswerID: 553373

Sponsored Links