mobile phones

Submitted: Thursday, May 07, 2015 at 19:57
ThreadID: 117764 Views:1909 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
has anybody bought a unlocked phone in usa or maybe west coast canada,after something not necessary top of range ,that could be used here with change of card,or maybe a throw away over there,cant use my present phone over there as it is too old even with one of there cards in it,thanks for future replies barry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Zippo - Thursday, May 07, 2015 at 20:23

Thursday, May 07, 2015 at 20:23
On our first trip there (2008) we bought an AT&T Go-phone which at $US15 I would classify as a throwaway (although we still have it ...). On subsequent trips with iPhones we had no problems with US SIM cards.

I'm sure that most network operators have similar deals to the Go-phone.

Be aware though that roaming between USA and Canada gets expensive.
AnswerID: 553426

Reply By: Member - Barry P (VIC) - Thursday, May 07, 2015 at 21:03

Thursday, May 07, 2015 at 21:03
meant to say my old phone is a samsung a412,inquired at sim corner tullamarine was told i need a quad band phone and that they can supply a sim card for the usa thanks barry i
AnswerID: 553429

Follow Up By: TomH - Thursday, May 07, 2015 at 21:24

Thursday, May 07, 2015 at 21:24
You are far better to buy one here as the USA ones use a different frequency for 4G and wont work here. Just like ours dont work on that over there.

I have taken an Iphone 3S and a Samsung Galaxy to the USA and they worked. Neither were 4G though. You can buy unlocked ones from Kogan and other places but not advisable to buy one in the USA.
FollowupID: 839268

Reply By: TomH - Thursday, May 07, 2015 at 23:10

Thursday, May 07, 2015 at 23:10
Previous trip to the USA I bought an AT &T prepaid sim. Coverage was good on the West Coast but inland wasnt so good Useless at the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley whereas T Mobile had coverage in both places. Also useless in Alaska.

Last trip went from Vancouver to Calgary and flew to Toronto.

Bought a $20 prepaid Canadian sim and it worked fine Cant remember which carrier but not Rogers.
When we dropped into USA bought a T Mobile sim in a hole in the wall shop in Brooklyn for $20 Same at T mobile was $35 Gave me unlimited calls and text for 30 days. Topped up with $15 before end of month and balance rolled over. Did me for the time I was there.
Worked right down the East Coast and across the bottom back to LA.
Dont use the wrong sim across the border as charges are horrendous.
My Samsung Galaxy Ace worked on 3G all the way no problems.
Dont buy an Ipad 4g over there either as they wont work here as was proved when the had to give buyers back their money after release here LOL. Laptop worked on Free hotel WIFI all the way no probs. Plenty of free wifi in coffee shops and Maccas also. I texted the number back to a friend in Aussie if they needed me in an emergency and kept in touch with email for anything else.
AnswerID: 553432

Reply By: wizzer73 - Friday, May 08, 2015 at 11:31

Friday, May 08, 2015 at 11:31
My wife used one the travel sims you get from aust post in usa and it was good. Just buy a cheap quad band unlocked phone from dick smith or coles/woolies and chuck the sim in it. Then its all sorted before you get there.

aust post travel sim

wizzer
AnswerID: 553440

Follow Up By: TomH - Friday, May 08, 2015 at 16:10

Friday, May 08, 2015 at 16:10
Rather expensive at 70c a minute in USA when a local pre paid gives unlimited calls and text for as little as $20 a month and unused rollds over if topped up before end of the month
FollowupID: 839308

Sponsored Links