For those that use pop up shower tents

Submitted: Saturday, May 09, 2015 at 15:46
ThreadID: 117784 Views:6528 Replies:7 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Apart from modifying a plastic tub, is there anything available that will leave minimal grey water laying around. eg a base with drain hole etc?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, May 09, 2015 at 16:02

Saturday, May 09, 2015 at 16:02
i just wonder if a little grey water laying around would do any harm. I think for the tiny little patches of water with a little soap, in a vast land like Australia, it should not be a problem. Digging huge holes a few kilometres square for mining and Fracking on quality land for CSG and their containment ponds with tons of salt from one bore to deal with. Hundreds of Thousands of tonnes of Phoshates and Chemicals used in agriculture would be a bigger problem long term i would think. The sun will take care of the grey water! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 553480

Follow Up By: kevmac....(WA) - Saturday, May 09, 2015 at 16:28

Saturday, May 09, 2015 at 16:28
Most places in middle of bush wouldn't worry great deal, but some minimal fee places ddon't like even smallest quantity. These places tho may often have one central drain near toilet block for instance.
FollowupID: 839341

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, May 09, 2015 at 19:09

Saturday, May 09, 2015 at 19:09
Having said that, we did come across one reserve in Wagga Wagga on the edge of town that we were going to stay overnight at. The sign said that you had to be totally self sufficient in all waste collection. So basically you had to have a motor home or van with grey water tanks. We had our Patrol with roof tent, no pegs in ground and toilets on the reserve but for cooking or washing up, we couldn't comply and did not want to risk a fine and of course, we like to do the right thing. We couldnt really see the reasoning behind it as it was a large but fairly ordinary piece of ground, but rules are rules. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

FollowupID: 839353

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, May 09, 2015 at 23:02

Saturday, May 09, 2015 at 23:02
Good on you Michael :). So many let their grey water flow at Wagga Wagga which will spoil it for everyone. While a couple of self contained only parks insist that grey water tanks be inbuilt only, most others accept the portable 'wheelie' grey water tanks. Most do not allow buckets and cannisters as they can be left to overflow, but some places do accept that the method is not important - just that the water has to be removed from the campground. Anyone can save and removed water from the site, even when tenting.

My Blog What Does Self Contained Really Mean has the above in more detail.

Back to kevmac's question. There may be ways of collected the water from an external shower, but if in an area where water may not be spilled on the ground, just have a tub bath - sponge over. You can get clean and fresh, and the water can be placed into a cannister and removed from the site for disposal.

Although there is an increasing trend to removing all water from the campground (some have a dump point on site for this), we have been to very few campgrounds where our water bucket could not be emptied into bush or grassland outside the perimeter of the camping area.

I loved Blackall, and when purchasing our camping permit I was asked "are you self contained?" "I have a bucket". That was cheerfully accepted and was easy to empty into the dump point at the campsite. We did not have a lot of water to dispose of as there were nice hot showers a moderate walk away in the town, which we appreciated.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 839388

Reply By: The Explorer - Saturday, May 09, 2015 at 16:26

Saturday, May 09, 2015 at 16:26
Hi

I just use a few of these + dig a few channels and a sump.

If ground conditions are a bit muddy or you are in the same spot for a while may need to stack a couple high as mud may ooze through. Sometimes, if I have it handy also use a solid rubber mat as the base with these ones on top to eliminate this issue.

If you are 100 metres or so away from watercourses etc there is no problem with discharging small amounts of "grey" water.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 553482

Follow Up By: kevmac....(WA) - Saturday, May 09, 2015 at 16:33

Saturday, May 09, 2015 at 16:33
We normally use them too Greg, but sometimes could make messy in a laid out free or minimal charge place......looking more at containing rather than comfort(muddy feet)
FollowupID: 839342

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, May 09, 2015 at 16:56

Saturday, May 09, 2015 at 16:56
No worries - getting a bit elaborate and possibly cumbersome if you need to collect and somehow then move/redirect/transfer the water though. I'd be jumping in the car and going for a short drive into the scrub...dont even need the pop up tent if you're careful...:)

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 839343

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, May 09, 2015 at 17:09

Saturday, May 09, 2015 at 17:09
...further to that have seen at a few exploration camp showers using the bottom section of these (1000 litre water container - minus the metal frame) cut off at ~15 or 20 cms

You can get them on ebay for less than 100 bucks. Suppose it would not weight that much and could be tossed onto your roof rack. Still have to get rid of water though.. lay flat hose?

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 839344

Follow Up By: gbc - Saturday, May 09, 2015 at 18:18

Saturday, May 09, 2015 at 18:18
Bulk bins aren't uv stabilised plastic so you'll need to paint them if using long term. I have seen a camper trailer with a flip over boat rack with a proper shower tray on the underside. The whole show sits a couple of feet off the ground and a tent gets erected over the top. Easy enough to then hook a hose off the standard shower waste to reclaim into any receptacle you choose. Probably a Flexi tank on the ground would be the most portable option? Definitely a way to reclaim all of your water however. I am looking into something similar so you can have a shower near the camper but the waste water being piped away to not flood the camp. Her indoors can step straight out of the shower tent back into the camper. Surely she could ask for no better arrangement? Don't answer that......
FollowupID: 839351

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Saturday, May 09, 2015 at 19:22

Saturday, May 09, 2015 at 19:22
If Bulk bins aren't uv stabilised why do they use them to store things like acid & bleach and other nasty stuff then leave them out in the open for months?
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 839354

Follow Up By: gbc - Saturday, May 09, 2015 at 20:04

Saturday, May 09, 2015 at 20:04
Stuffed if I know. I get them for free through work and we keep a couple to feed pressure washers away from water supplies. They don't last too long in sunlight.
FollowupID: 839364

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Saturday, May 09, 2015 at 20:31

Saturday, May 09, 2015 at 20:31
Maybe while liquid is in them they're stable but disintegrate after being empty for a while.
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 839370

Follow Up By: gbc - Saturday, May 09, 2015 at 20:49

Saturday, May 09, 2015 at 20:49
Yes maybe, although a few of our guys took then home to catch stormwater off their roofs during the drought. They didn't last long there either. A coat of acrylic house paint works well. They are a disposable non returnable item.
FollowupID: 839375

Reply By: Crusier 91 - Saturday, May 09, 2015 at 22:57

Saturday, May 09, 2015 at 22:57
The problem I've found with letting water out of the base whilst showering is than the immediate area becomes muddy which is far worse.

I now use this base
http://www.infrontcampinggear.com.au/shower-base-canvas-44-x-44-x-8h

Contains water, easy to slide away from camp area to empty, keeping camp area dry. Folds up easy and takes up little room.
AnswerID: 553513

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, May 09, 2015 at 23:04

Saturday, May 09, 2015 at 23:04
Our shower tent came with a plastic tarp type floor. I just place the door so it's on the high side of the slope. That way I can just run the water under the side wall (and into a sump I dig if it is not on pristine grass.)
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 553514

Reply By: Iza B - Sunday, May 10, 2015 at 06:47

Sunday, May 10, 2015 at 06:47
I have seen the bottom 100mm of a plastic 44 used for the purpose. The shower tents fold up to about the same diameter so storage issues are minimal.

If in the stuation where discharging shower water on the ground is a problem, we usually do the wet washer and nappy wipes to maintain the hygine until moving on.

Iza
AnswerID: 553518

Reply By: Member - Trevor_H - Monday, May 11, 2015 at 20:54

Monday, May 11, 2015 at 20:54
We stored the pop up shower tent, 12 volt shower, etc in a UV stabilised under bed storage box. The lot went on top of the hard floor camper for traveling. In use, the box became the shower base, inside the tent. Grey water was then emptied back into the shower water bucket and emptied somewhere suitable. We found two persons used around 6 litres of water per shower this way, so not difficult to empty.
AnswerID: 553606

Reply By: kym111 - Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 21:14

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 21:14
Hi Kevmac
we've just spent 18 months travelling around Australia. We used a large party tub to stand in with 2 bunnings foam mats (square ones with holes, and jigsaw edging) as mats to stand on. To get really fancy, buy a cheap brown bathmat to put on top of the foam mats to dry your feet on before getting back into your thongs (or slippers etc). We had kids, so recycled some of the used shower water (mixed with clean hot water) for the next person. The last one in didn't need soap and usually had warm water to stand in! haha If it wasn't too dirty the next day, we kept some of it for hand washing.
Regards
Kym
AnswerID: 553657

Sponsored Links