Tent wars in the bush.

Submitted: Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 17:31
ThreadID: 117846 Views:2460 Replies:16 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Just mulling over the hundreds of trips hubby and I have taken both in Oz and overseas. Always making our own plans. We don't ever have any disagreements over any aspects of our travels with one exception, where the tent goes and which way it faces ( bush camping). We brace ourselves as we arrive as we know that quite often we do get a bit short with each other at this point. Once we decide we always laugh it off. What things create short fuses and disagreements between other normally placid couples, mates etc whilst travelling?
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 17:59

Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 17:59
It's easy
I put it and face it anywhere the misses wants no questions asked.

Happy wife makes me a happy camper :)
AnswerID: 553734

Reply By: pop2jocem - Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 18:36

Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 18:36
We bought a caravan. The only frustration for the lady of the house is that the "furniture" is nailed, screwed and glued in place....LOL

(;=))))

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 553736

Reply By: Rick (S.A.) - Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 18:47

Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 18:47
Great thread/notion.

I s'pose extended time in each others' company is finally what causes a friction burn.

However, when travelling with mates or even just acquaintances, and as I don't have my wife with me while travelling in the bush, it's even harder to bite one's tongue,

Cheers
AnswerID: 553737

Reply By: Top End Az - Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 19:29

Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 19:29
Putting up the tent is usually around beer o'clock for us, so however she wants it is the quickest way to the Engel.
AnswerID: 553740

Reply By: OBJ - Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 20:12

Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 20:12
Simple. We pull up and I pull the annexe matting off the roof rack. She sites and locates it while I pull the Oztent out of the pod and onto the ground. I ask where she wants the front door facing, and we put it up. While I am nailing it down, she sets up the bedding, using our self inflating mattresses. We pull out the chairs and set them up. All done in well under 5 minutes. Never a disagreement, and usually not even a word spoken.

Others have commented on it, both on the speed of setup and the fact it is done without discussion. It's easy when everyone knows that their job is.

The we settle back with a drink and watch the others fighting about which way the tent should go, or their inability to park a trailer or van. Once you are inside the tent and asleep it doesn't really matter anyway.

Love camping.

OBJ
AnswerID: 553742

Reply By: Member - Des Lexic - Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 21:01

Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 21:01
I think the cause of your "bickering" is quite simple as I know that I suffer from it myself. The reason is that you have probably had a long day and you are simply tired after a day on the road. It's good that you can laugh it off later. We try not to have continuous pack up and move days especially now that we are retired. During our working lives, we often didn't have enough time to sit around for a day or so just chilling out.
Happy Travels
AnswerID: 553743

Reply By: Member - Christine and Lindsay - Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 21:16

Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 21:16
In reference to setting up time we are usually set up and relaxing before others in our group. The total ' discussion' time is about 3 minutes tops. We have an Oztent too and everything else goes like a well oiled machine with setting up. Enjoying others responses here.
AnswerID: 553745

Reply By: disco driver - Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 23:37

Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 23:37
As a general rule in our house, the tent ALWAYS goes with the back to the prevailing wind and DEFINITELY not under gum trees.
I pick the site, I put up the tent and I set it up with bedding etc.
She gets the chairs out and gets the drinks, beer for me and white wine for her.

Works well for us so why change a good system.

Disco.
AnswerID: 553753

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, May 15, 2015 at 07:35

Friday, May 15, 2015 at 07:35
Like others, I place the tent wherever herself wants it.
That way, if the wind blows in from the wrong direction, boy I can really let her have it:-)))
Of course, being a woman her reply would be something like, "well the wind has changed direction hasn't it".

OK, seriously though, we place more importance on the traverse of the sun where possible.
As we have an Oztent with peak side panels, we can set up the tent to be pretty well weatherproof in any case. In some circumstances, having the vehicle backed up to the front opening will give us pretty good protection from both sun and wind and with a nice sized living/cooking area under the enclosed awning.

With some camping sites, you can't always be all that choosy which direction the tent opening points. Just back it up to the bush or shrub line, or place it facing the roadway if in a camping park and make do with what you got.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 553759

Reply By: vk1dx - Friday, May 15, 2015 at 07:57

Friday, May 15, 2015 at 07:57
DITTO

And this is exactly we are happy, contented (watch the pun in there) and still married, after 45 years.

A great idea for a thread and it's good to start the days with a good laugh.

AnswerID: 553761

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Friday, May 15, 2015 at 08:15

Friday, May 15, 2015 at 08:15
I agree with Des. We realised many years ago that when we were on a trip and started to get grouchy with each other it was time for a lay day - no pack up and just do whatever we felt like. We now plan having a rest day every week or so or when we come across a nice spot. Even on overseas trips we find this makes for a more enjoyable time.

I know this is not easy for those on fixed holidays. It is one of the few positives about getting older and having more time.
AnswerID: 553763

Reply By: The Landy - Friday, May 15, 2015 at 08:21

Friday, May 15, 2015 at 08:21
Generally it all works like a well-oiled machine for us.

I listen for the warning signs; if I’m called “Barry instead of Baz” I know I’m raising Mrs Landy’s ire –
Which is hard to do – she is far too nice really!

So like any good bloke of the weaker species would do when this happens, I stop and think about what it is I’m doing wrong, completely miss it in a most awkward way, get beaten over the head in the nicest possible way and then we sit down and relax and have a good laugh at life…

Nah, all tongue-in-cheek, we get on well, after all I literally married the girl next door, so we’ve known each other for a long time!

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
AnswerID: 553764

Reply By: Top End Az - Friday, May 15, 2015 at 11:06

Friday, May 15, 2015 at 11:06
It's all very dependent on the site. But we usually have the tent door facing away from the morning sun and other campers
AnswerID: 553784

Reply By: Flighty ( WA ) - Friday, May 15, 2015 at 16:29

Friday, May 15, 2015 at 16:29
Don't have any arguments at all lol, my other half only camps "in 5 star".
And I camp under 5 million of em.
So no major drama at all LOL
Cheers
Flighty

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 553801

Reply By: Steve - Friday, May 15, 2015 at 20:37

Friday, May 15, 2015 at 20:37
We've been ok since the advent of reversing cameras. It would drive me demented when she would stand behind as I reversed towards a tree/riverbank etc "just let me know when I get close" was the usual requirement. This invariably led to frantic leaping up and down, waving arms and shrieks of "stop, stop......" I'd get out and find I was still 25 meters short of the disaster that never happened. Of course, she thinks it's all due to her expert guidance. I can still picture the smirks from the gallery.
AnswerID: 553810

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 07:05

Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 07:05
Camping is easy,s he knows I have a feel for the prevailing weather etc, so leaves it to me re that.

At home, it might go the other way . . .
eg. Wife wanted a cat, I didn't.
So we compromised, and got a cat.
AnswerID: 553818

Sponsored Links