GQ Shudder

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 11:27
ThreadID: 11786 Views:1765 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hey guys, first time in a forum, just a question about a shudder I have in my 89 GQ wagon when I take off from a standing start, when the front wheels are stright not noticable, but turn the wheels left or right and take off it can be quite noticable, have been told it could be LSD.Any advice appreciated.

Cheers Goosy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 12:42

Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 12:42
Hi Goosy
Are you talking the initial move from stand still, ie as the clutch takes the drive?
AnswerID: 53062

Follow Up By: Goosy - Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 13:29

Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 13:29
Hey Kiwi Ray
Yes you could say that but nearly always seems to be when I am turning from a standing start, like at a round about or turning from a street or reversing my boat into the driveway.
FollowupID: 314831

Follow Up By: Goosy - Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 13:29

Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 13:29
Hey Kiwi Ray
Yes you could say that but nearly always seems to be when I am turning from a standing start, like at a round about or turning from a street or reversing my boat into the driveway.
FollowupID: 314832

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 18:23

Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 18:23
Hi
Here are a number things to check
Start with easy ones, check that all the suspension bushes are in good condition and the mounting bolts are secure.
Have a good look at the gearbox and engine mounts, check both there security and the condition of the rubber, if you are able to put a jack under the sump with a piece of timber and take the weight of the rubbers and have a good look for splits in the rubber, do the same withe the rear mounts
Check that the spline on the rear drive shaft is free to telescope
If all these are good then you may posibly be up for a clutch change
Hope this is of help
Ray
AnswerID: 53087

Reply By: flashnick - Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 19:39

Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 19:39
Easy - your diff oil needs changing - shudder from the LSD - do a search on "Limslip 140" on the forum search - Its a Penrite prduct and will not only fix the shudder but you will get the best out of your LSD - without question the best oil for the GQ diff. ( www.penrite.com.au )
cheers

Nick
AnswerID: 53093

Reply By: Jimmy - Sunday, Apr 04, 2004 at 09:08

Sunday, Apr 04, 2004 at 09:08
Hey Goosy, I have an 89 patrol with exactly the same problem. I changed the diff oil as this seems to solve the problem for most people but it didn't work for me. ( I used the correct LSD oil) Its still probably worth a shot. I was told it could also be that the LSD had been over tightened. I have had my truck for 4 months now and thew shudder hasn't changed and no bits have fallen off yet but it does go incredibly well off road. A mate following behind me one day actually mentioned how well the LSD seemed to be working!
I doubt the clutch has anything to do with it as the shudder does not exist when moving off in a straight line. Actully mine will still do it in first gear after releasing the clutch, then turning and accelerating.
If you do investigate further i would really appreciate knowing what you find out!

Cheers Jim Email: Jumankum@bigpond.com

AnswerID: 53124

Reply By: Hankster - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 13:30

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 13:30
I am on my second GQ and my old man has one as well.

All three of these vehicles do it and it's not a fault. It is the LSD doing it's job and slipping because when you are turning, one wheel spins quicker than the other.

It is a little more noticeable in GQ's than other models but put up with it. It's nothing to worry about and the diffs and gearboxes in these vehicles are extremely strong.

It wouldn't hurt to replace the oil as suggested but I doubt whether this would rectify the problem completely... It didn't for me.

Regards Hank
AnswerID: 53384

Sponsored Links