Review: Gammon Ranges Bunyip Chasm

My Place Rating: My Rating 1/5

This trek is incorrectly classified. It most definitely is NOT a half star suitable for 2WD, motor homes, caravans etc. I suspect this is a mistake - please correct it. This trek is suitable ONLY for high clearance 4WDs, only towing I would recommend is with a staunch high clearance trailer if you know what you're doing. The road NW out of Aarkaroola is low range 2nd-3rd most of the way, lots of washouts, very narrow with blind crests, overgrown, and very rough in places, particularly after the turning to Bolla Bollana smelters. The track from the t-junction with the Umberatana road through to Umberatana station is also very rough and unused by the station folk. This track heading east to Bunyip Chasm is hardly ever used by the looks of things and is exceptionally rough. After the station things improve, but once you turn back east into the Gammons NP the track changes back to low range, high clearance 4WD only. The one-way segment in the Gammons should ABSOLUTELY NOT be attempted in anything else. Suggest you contact Aarkaroola staff to check out my experiences of this track if you think I'm exaggerating! Was a great drive, but a big surprise, luckily we had the right vehicle & skills for the conditions and we bush camped as it took so much longer than expected.... I've only rated it a 1 star simply because the trek classification is so badly wrong.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Sponsored Links