HF RADIO USEAGE

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 17, 2001 at 01:00
ThreadID: 118 Views:2740 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
DOES ONE REQUIRE ANY TRAINING OR LICENCES FOR USING A HF RADIO
IS THE BARRETT 950 UNIT ADVERTISED IN THIS WEB SITE A QUALITY UNIT SUITABLE FOR OUTBACK TRAVEL
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: David - Sunday, Feb 18, 2001 at 01:00

Sunday, Feb 18, 2001 at 01:00
Tim, you require an outpost radio licence issued by the Australian Comunications Authority (ACA), it costs around $30.00 they will then allocate you a callsign.
The Barrett 950 is a very good unit, also check out Codan as they have some great units as well.
Cheers David.
AnswerID: 208

Reply By: Greg Harewood - Tuesday, Feb 20, 2001 at 01:00

Tuesday, Feb 20, 2001 at 01:00
In my opinion instead of just getting an outpost licence through the ACA you would be better off joining the Australian National 4WD Radio Network ( http://4wdclubs.sofcom.com/au/an4wdrn/) This organisation offers a range of services to its members including :
 Daily safety logging of members locations and planned movements over the following days.
 Message handling to and from family, friends etc.
 Medical advice and emergency aid arranged through RFDS Bases at Broken Hill (via Gosford Base) and Jandakot (WA), as well as from the SA Police.
 Road Condition Reports from Transport SA & NT Police.
 Weather Reports, Bushfire Danger Index Warnings* and Tropical Cyclone Warnings from the Bureau of Meteorology Darwin.
 HF Propagation Warnings and Information supplied from IPS Radio & Space Services.
 Direct communications link with Worldcare Assistance Services should a member require emergency vehicle assistance. What more could you want? Penta Comstat also provides HF land mobile services.( http://www.pentacomstat.com.au )Catch you on air - Regards Greg

AnswerID: 212

Reply By: peter white - Tuesday, Feb 27, 2001 at 01:00

Tuesday, Feb 27, 2001 at 01:00
Hi I just had a barrat 550 installed by Alex Dawes at Macedon ( best and least expensive in Australia) Joined VKS 737 in Adelaide and its great - more help than you thought possible and only $60 per year. If you had your own through ACA who would you call in case of need???? regards peter
AnswerID: 226

Reply By: John F - Thursday, Mar 01, 2001 at 01:00

Thursday, Mar 01, 2001 at 01:00
I was checking out this subject, as Im only new, and wanted to find out more. I went to the 4WD Radio Network website suggested by Greg, but it appears to me that it hasnt been updated since 1999. That is, the newsletters, the road conditions, etc. Are they still providing a service? Or has it been abandoned?
AnswerID: 233

Follow Up By: Greg Harewood - Thursday, Mar 01, 2001 at 01:00

Thursday, Mar 01, 2001 at 01:00
The Network is well and truly alive and running -Not sure what you were looking at - the page listed below was updated at the end of Feb 2001 - some other pages may be a bit old - try again
http://4wdclubs.sofcom.com/au/an4wdrn/ Regards Greg
FollowupID: 36

Sponsored Links