Safari dtronix for Hilux 3.0 TD

Submitted: Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 06:41
ThreadID: 11826 Views:4776 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I am about to purchase a new hilux dual cab. I am looking at towing a camper trailer and have heard that the dtronix is an excellent piece of kit. Anyone out there using one that can justify the performance and expense?

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter M (VIC) - Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 09:19

Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 09:19
I have a Dtronic fitted to my 30olTdi Patrol and it is great. Couldn't do without it. It makes the car very drivable.

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 53210

Reply By: Topend - Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 15:32

Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 15:32
I have a Dtronic on a 100TD Cruiser. I think the improved performance justifies the price. It really performs as advertised.

Topend
AnswerID: 53250

Reply By: Member - Luxoluk - Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 15:47

Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 15:47
Hi Jolls

I am curious that you believe there is a need to make such a change to a new vehicle. I would be very surprised if the stock vehicle couldn't meet and even exceed your needs. You may also compromise warranty for no real benefit and then there's the insurance angle as well?? For what its worth I suggest you wait and then assess the need to part with your hard earned neddies.
AnswerID: 53254

Follow Up By: Topend - Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 16:01

Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 16:01
My Cruiser has 151kw & 430nm but I still fitted a Dtronic. The reason, I tow a boat that weighs over two tonne. I now have 172kw & 525nm. Even without the boat I still think it is worth it as I enjoy the extra power. It comes down to what you like and if you are willing to spend the money.

If the Dtronic causes damage to the engine then there may be a warranty issue. However engine damage from the Dtronic is unlikely as the engine generally runs richer under power which will lower combustion temperatures. I have not had any problems in 50000kms that the Dtronic has been fitted to my vehicle. If there are any warranty claims just remove it. It takes 15 minutes. Toyota will never know.

I fail to see why this would void your insurance. I'm certainly not concerned.

Topend
FollowupID: 314978

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 08:32

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 08:32
Hi Topend, where did you get the figures you quote? 151kw is the factory claim at the crankshaft but where did you get the 172 and 525nm of torque figures from. I would be very interested to see power and torque figures at the wheels. Seems a very expensive way to gain a minimal power increase. Cheers Rob
FollowupID: 315055

Follow Up By: Topend - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 09:16

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 09:16
Hi Rob,
The figures I quoted are Safari's own measurements of power and torque. Yes it's possible they may over quote these figures but after driving a vehicle fitted with the Dtronic they are believable. An increase of torque from 430nm to 525nm is no small increase. Most of the improvement is below 2000 rpm which is very obvious when towing or overtaking in 5th gear.
As for power and torque figures at the wheels, all power figures will be down and all torque figures will be up. Percentage wise a chassis dyno will still show the benifits. Out of interest I might put my vehicle on a dyno some time soon.
The only negative comments I have read are those from people who don't have a Dtronic. I would reccomend to those to arrange a test drive at an ARB dealer that has a vehicle available. Drive with the Dtronic installed and uninstalled.
I think the cost is not much concidering the improvement you get. Some people spend more on other accessories that rarely get used. The Dtronic gets used every time I drive the vehicle.

Cheers,
Topend.
FollowupID: 315061

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 17:58

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 17:58
Rob,
its not so much how much, but where the dtronic makes power in the 1hdtfe that makes it so impressive over the standard unit.
FollowupID: 315133

Reply By: TOB - Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 18:04

Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 18:04
Buy a Navara. You don't need a Dtronic to get it working.

TOB
AnswerID: 53275

Reply By: jonojeepster - Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 20:37

Reply By: jolls - Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 21:49

Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 21:49
Hi All,

Thanks for the great advice. It is obvious from your responses that the dtronix works. After owning a normally aspirated 60 series oiler and towing a trailer around the country I am concerned about pulling power up hill. I'm sure the TD hilux will have a bit more poke around town; however, I bought a ute for a comb9ination of work and pleasure so pulling a load in the back or on the trailer should be a lot easier with the greater power.

I am currently in the US where fuel prices are low so have been able to tour around with full sized dodge dakota, great piece of kit, but way too much fuel to be of any value in Oz. But the extra power has made travel with a trailer almost a pleasure, and there is also enough power to overtake the semis on hills. Unfortunately even my old 60 series from back home beats it hands down in difficult off road situations.

Thanks again for the advice, I will certainly become a regular member of this forum when I get home.

Cheers

Jolls
AnswerID: 53312

Reply By: GO_OFFROAD - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 17:56

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 17:56
Having driven the 3.0 with a dtronic fitted, Im sure you will think it the best $1600 you could spend on the car.

The good thing with the dtronic also, is it is pre ecu, and will see everything the ecu see's, and can help save the engine, in high coolant, or high intake air temps, if the ecu monitors these.

The www.lcool.org diesel tuning link in one of the posts above explains it all very well.

http://www.lcool.org/technical/elec_diesel_tuning/tuning.html/"

AnswerID: 53440

Reply By: jonojeepster - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 22:18

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 22:18
"The good thing with the dtronic also, is it is pre ecu, and will see everything the ecu see's, and can help save the engine, in high coolant, or high intake air temps, if the ecu monitors these. "

If the ECU monitors these? Do you really think so? The ECU is not equipped to stop the engine if things get out. Eg. High engine temp because of coolant will not means the ECU shuts off the engine. I don't think the Dtronic or any system on the market does this.
AnswerID: 53634

Follow Up By: jolls - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 23:02

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 23:02
Jono,

Thanks for that, I'll check it out at one of the links and with Safari. Going from a 60 series to something new is a hge leap, 22 years in fact. I need to catch up on the technologies in these new oil burners. I was so used to being able to pull the whole thing down and rebuild it on the side of the road, almost all of it anyhow.

Cheers

Ctaig
FollowupID: 315309

Sponsored Links