ARB compressor add on

Submitted: Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 08:48
ThreadID: 11827 Views:3005 Replies:8 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
I have turned an old fire extinguisher into a secondary air tank to be filled by my ARB compressor, my only concern is that, in the ARB manual it state's do not block the flow of air as it could cause damage to the unit, I have seen other thread's about this, using a secondary tank with ARB compressor. I have alway's had this setup, but with my home compressor, save's having 50 metre's of air hose. Are my concern's warrented, and does the ARB comp have a cut off switch when the pressure is built up. It would make life so much easyer when we go away in the camper with this set up, pain in the bum switching comp on and off all the time, and not enough pressure to use as a blower. Any help or other idea's would be great.

Baz.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Banjo - Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 09:30

Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 09:30
The ARB cuts off at 100psi -I use a home made pvc tank in the bull bar to increase capacity for extended blow etc.....has been working fine.....I just turn it on, let it run up to 100 and auto switch off....then I use the air as I work my project.....had just enough blow to run a spray gun for the the trailer re-coat.
AnswerID: 53212

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 09:56

Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 09:56
Thank's Bango, i was hoping to get that answer, i also put a on/off on it as well as it did not come with one which i thought strange but still a good compressor anyway.

Baz.
FollowupID: 314956

Reply By: Roachie - Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 10:58

Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 10:58
Baz,
You won't have any worries with that idea at all. However, the ARB compressors come in 2 different versions as far as I know. The "up-market" version is supplied with a cut-out switch set at around 100psi. This unit is designed for use with their Air Lockers etc. The cheaper version uses the same compressor, but only has an outlet for inflating tyres etc and I don't believe it has a cut-off switch. In any case you can buy a switch from them (not sure of $$$$$) and fit it yourself. Very simple.
I'm still not convinced the idea of the PVC tube is a good idea and reckon you're on the money with an old fire extinguisher. I have a purpose built 3ltr tank and would like to get a bigger one like yours eventually. I keep my air system pumped up 24/7, but have fitted a safety relief valve etc. I use it for a set of large air horns on roof-rack as well as air locker and front and rear mounted RYCO outlets for tyre inflation etc. However, I replaced my old ARB compressor with a Bushranger....4 times faster.
Cheers,
Roachie
AnswerID: 53224

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 21:29

Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 21:29
Roachie,
You're spot on, you have to make sure you've bought the model with the auto cut out the normal one off the shelf doesn't have one. Also if you connect the compressor to an auxillary air tank and the compressor fails in the warranty period the warranty isn't worth anything. ARB recommend / advise that you don't connect the compressor to an auxillary air tank, well they warned me away from doing it anyway. I know others who've had them connect up for ages and everything works fine. One guys used the tubing in the bull bar as the air reciever, bit novel.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 315019

Follow Up By: Member - John - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 07:04

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 07:04
Martyn (WA), not a good idea to use your steel bull bar, the moisture in the air will eventually rust it from the inside. Just my two cents worth. John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 315044

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 21:01

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 21:01
John,
Thanks for the 2 cents worth, I didn't do it nor am I considering it, I just noticed that somebody else in the club had done it, they must have been onto the corrosion thing they had a vent valve on the bottom tube, but as you mention I'm sure there would be other water traps
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 315154

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 22:05

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 22:05
re - the plastic tube, don't be too concerned, nearly all the new airlines run in industrial applications use the black poly high pressure pipe. This is really good but you pay like gold for the fittings for the large pipe (2 inch etc.) . For a storage tank the white pressure rated pipe is great, comes in various classes - class 12 ( 12 x atmospheric pressure ) 176 psi. - class 18 (18XAT) 246 psi. just be sure to use the proper primer to remove the wax from the parts and use the pressure glue (not the stormwater). 100 psi is the standard 'shop air' pressure used across the country and is the safe figure for everyone to use.
FollowupID: 315299

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 11:00

Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 11:00
Baz,
I have used the old fire extinguster as a air tank and has worked fine. The only thing I did was to make a manifold out of a 25mm soild square block of aluminium. Because there is only one hole in the top of the fire extinguisher and I wanted provision for an inlet, a pressure switch, and two outlets, I drilled and taped holes that allowed for these fittings. I was not useing a ARB compressor so a externial pressure switch was required. The manifold scewed to the top of the fire extingusher and the compressor pumped the air in from the ead and the outlets were on the side of the manifold. A bit of drilling and tapping but it worked fine. I am a toolmaker so the drilling and tapping didn't worry me.

Wayne
AnswerID: 53225

Reply By: srowlandson - Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 11:07

Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 11:07
I have a Fire Extinguisher as a tank also.

You'll need an Pressure Switch, abotu $40 from ARB.

http://www.offroader.com.au/airfitting/airfitting.html

I just put a 3/8" BSP Quick connect in the threaded section the hose was in and inflate the tank using a normal tyre inflator to the tyre valve. Once i mount it permanently i will replace this with a permanent 1/8" BSP Barb and plumb it permanently. Works a treat and saves a fair bit of time having the 9 litres @ 100psi to start with, the first 2 tyres are fairly fast, the last 2 about as fast as normal, but i have my spare tyre @ 60 psi and this soon gets the front 2 tyres up to 35psi in seconds.

Steve
AnswerID: 53226

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 12:39

Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 12:39
Thank's Wayne, Roachie and Steve, my extinguisher is the type that already has a filler valve, opposite side of charge gauge, so that part is ok, have to buy a cut off switch mine does'nt have one, my next job is to fit a pressure gauge to the extinguisher, hopefully i can find one to fit where the charge gauge is, i have a couple lying around, thanks again fella's.

Baz.
AnswerID: 53232

Follow Up By: Roachie - Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 17:21

Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 17:21
Baz,
On the subject of gauges, I mounted one on my "A" pillar using the lower screw that holds the grab handle for the driver on my Patrol. This is plumbed into the line and shows me what the pressure is all the time. It doesn't have a back light, so at night I don't know what it's showing. I usually hit the switch every morning to pump it back up to 100psi. If I don't use it at all during the day, it drops back to about 80psi during 24 hours. there is a small leak in the many joints I have, but I just can't nail it down!!! Some mornings it hasn't dropped back far enough for the cut-out switch to activate anyway.
I'm a bit of a gadget freak (no kidding I here you say!!!) and like to know what's going on around me. LOLOLOL

Cheers,
Roachie
FollowupID: 314991

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 17:41

Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 17:41
What's that saying the one with the most toy's win's, or gaget's, LOLOLOL. Roachie, i use dishwashing liquid to find leak's, spray it where there is a join and when it bubble's, aahh leak, work's everytime, just in case you did'nt know, although i think you might !! Or re-adjust it to 90psi, the magic number for all air tool's

Baz.
FollowupID: 314992

Reply By: Boeing - Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 22:59

Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 22:59
Hello Baz, Sounds like a good idea but what is the extinguisher rated to as far as pressure is concerned. I see from some of the replys that the cut off switch is 100psi which for a non technical person such as me sounds like a lot. can you get these things pressure tested? I would hate for one to bang and have the valve take off like a bullet.
I would be getting it tested before use just in case, better to be safe than sorry.

Regards

Mark
AnswerID: 53320

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 09:06

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 09:06
According to the fire brigade rated to over 100psi. I asked at a training course, at that time i was using it for CT18 and water to wash my bike. Great pressure washer.

Baz.
FollowupID: 315058

Reply By: Biggus - Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 23:18

Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 23:18
I am very interested in fitting a modified fire extinguisher as an air storage vessel.
Could someone with first hand experience recommend what size & type, ( i note that Wayne has used an old stored water ext.) would be most suitable for the job and not be compromised by it's size or weight.
Where would i get a hold of one in the Sydney area and what cost ?
AnswerID: 53324

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 09:14

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 09:14
On the fire extinguisher it will have who services them, they have them. 9litre's is a good size. Wormald is at sth creek rd Dee Why.

Baz.
FollowupID: 315060

Reply By: PerthGQ - Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 16:41

Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 16:41
Baz,
If you're considering using anything other than an engineered air receiver then you really to need to be aware of the potential consequences. I've spent several decades in the fluid power industry (hydraulics & pneumatics) and seen numerous "nifty" ideas that end up maiming or killing some poor bugger.
For starters have a look at these links:

http://www.safetyline.wa.gov.au/pagebin/pg000382.htm

http://www.workcover.vic.gov.au/dir090%5Cvwa%5Calerts.nsf/0/ABE4E262B9DAD60BCA256D79008033FF?OpenDocument

The are quite a few proprietary receivers on the market or you can make one from the approporiate rated pipe but make sure you've got it well figured.
Regards,
K
AnswerID: 53888

Sponsored Links