buying a swag.

Submitted: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1186 Views:2324 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am considering buying a swag for those short camping trips.
What has everyone got? are hey happy? what should i look for?
what's good value for money?
Most of my camping is around Victoria.
any help apreciated.
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ray - Thursday, May 23, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 23, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Daren,

I had one made based on a wedge design to give us room from our head to feet. The head end stands approx 900mm high and I use an air mattress so that the swag rolls up very small. If you intend using it in the hotter climates and on the coast, have as many windows with fine mesh and a full length opening on the top. There are a number on the market just like this and range up to approx $500 for a double with a high density mattress.
AnswerID: 3767

Reply By: Member - Cruiser - Thursday, May 23, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 23, 2002 at 00:00
Daren, As suggested in the above reply, the wedge shape is great. We made our own double and have used it for years. Things to look for are screened window areas, ideally set up so you can open/close it from inside. Also need the ability to leave top cover down in hot conditions (we use a full size screen top which zips inside the waterproof one - great for watching the stars and satellites!). You should be able to tie it to bullbar or use a couple of short tent poles and pegs. High density foam mattress, about 5cm thick. With this setup you have a choice of using sleeping bags or sheets ands doona.
AnswerID: 3780

Reply By: Fred - Saturday, May 25, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, May 25, 2002 at 00:00
Daren
My suggestion is buy a centre pole tent. Have you noticed how swags have moved from a simple canvas roll ups to having vents, windows, insect screens, poles, ropes, pegs and also offer height and space? My 9x9 centre pole needs 4 corner pegs and one centre pole - about 1 minute from vehicle to set up. There is great ventilation, I can stand up in it and there's room for gear if I want it and another person too!! It folds smaller than most swags and used with a self inflating mattress it's very easy camping!!
AnswerID: 3813

Reply By: michelle - Friday, Jun 14, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jun 14, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Daren, We have a double Darche dome swag that we want to sell if you are interested. It is in immaculate condition, cost us $500 about 18 months ago and we would like $300-$320 for it. It has a dome pole above the head and at about knee height to keep the canvas from touching you as you sleep. The top canvas sheet folds back so you can sleep under the fly screen in hotter conditions. The swag also has an entry at the head end so that you can enter the swag when it is raining and not get your bedding wet. If you, or anyone else, is interested contact us at derek_jenkins@hotmail.com. We are located in Melbourne.
AnswerID: 4186

Sponsored Links