Question for DOZER and others on Brakes

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 13:31
ThreadID: 11864 Views:1203 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
A couple of weeks ago I posted a question about upgrading 80 series rotors and calipers on my 80 series. Dozer mentioned something about bonded kevlar 4wd brake pad. Where can you get these and who makes them?

Also the other information I have found is that during 9/92 Toyota only increased the the size of the front rotors and calipers, is this true? Bloke at 4wd centre says that if you had discs on the back then they have stayed the same size all the way through the 80 series range.

Cheers Charlie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 15:20

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 15:20
Charlie,

Rotors, callipers,pads, booster and master cylynder all changed front and rear at Sept 92. All GXL and VX had disc all round and only the early STD grade vehicles had drums on the rear so the theory given by your 4wd shop is not correct.
AnswerID: 53406

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 23:42

Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 23:42
Hi Charlie
The Kevlar pads are made by Ferado and are called 4wd kevlar pads.
I have a set on my 80 at the moment that are to suit a 105 series. The later than 9/92 larger front brake discs/callipers will accept the 100 series pads which are thicker and squarer, giving more swept area and better brakes again.
If you have a pre 9/92 cruiser, the brakes from a later model will fit straight on to your diff. You need backing plate, disc and hub (dont know if you can just put a larger disc on your hub) and the calliper.
Rear is thesame, needing backing plate, disc and calliper.
The master cylinder is thesame internal design with all 4wdisc models, with only changes to reservoir and low level switches.
The rear drum std van or pov pack was deleted early 1991, trivea here, but in the states only the factory diffloc cruisers get full floating axles and 4wdiscs, all others get hilux type axles and drum rearends.,right up to the 100.
Andrew
b4 you bag me out, walk a mile in my shoes, then your a mile away and have my shoes :)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 200 series /100 series 4 alloy rims with tyres and nuts GC

AnswerID: 53911

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)