Communications for Cape trip

Submitted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1187 Views:1715 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived

There has been some excellent information on HF and Sat phones on the site lately (pitty about the slagging though). It will make the decission much easier for those looking to buy now. I'm heading up to the Cape (for the first time) in June next year and only have UHF and a mobile phone. Will this be enough? I don't really want to buy either unit at the moment and have priced rentals (wow). I don't know the area but have a reliable vehicle and would like your view.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Thursday, May 23, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 23, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Ray, I think it extremely unlikely you would need a HF radio yet if you feel the need why not hire an Iridium Sat phone from Cairns $150 per week including insurance. Calls are $3 per minute We are closer to the satellites here so things are cheaper ;-) Why pay for a phone all the way from down south when your mobile will cover all the way to Daintree.
Rob Berrill
Cairns Offroad Training & Tours

AnswerID: 3771

Reply By: Another Ray, - Thursday, May 23, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 23, 2002 at 00:00
Hello Ray,

Dont worry, as long as you have mobile-mobile comms. You'll be OK.
30,000 per year head up there. You'll meet plenty of good people
you can tag-along with.

Have a ball,

Another Ray
AnswerID: 3776

Reply By: Tony- Thursday, May 23, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 23, 2002 at 00:00
Ray, I travelled to the Cape in '99 and was supprised by the number of people up there. It was like Pitt St(main street of Sydney CBD) in peak hour!! We went to lots of what I thought was 'out of the way places', but there was always other poeple coming and going. Great place to meet fellow travellers but not good for solitude. If you have a UHF, then thats enough comms gear, in my opion, for a Cape trip. Have fun!
AnswerID: 3778

Reply By: Nigel - Thursday, May 23, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 23, 2002 at 00:00
If this is your first trip then you'll most likely stick to the well travels parts, so long distance comms aren't essential.

If you want extra security you could consider a personal EPIRB. They are reasonably cheap and easy to store in the vehicle. And they last at least 5 years.

Enjoy the trip and don't forget to wave when you go past my place.
AnswerID: 3783

Reply By: Guy - Friday, May 24, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, May 24, 2002 at 00:00
Ray, you we'll seriously need to listen and scan the uhf frequencies to/from Cape york. 90% of the Far North QLD tracks are
very wide and it is like a highway.
But the vehicle traffic to/from Cape York is very busy and some 4WDrivers drive in some narrows areas up to 80 kms /hour
without any visibilty. We witnessed a convoy of 6 vehicles crossing a creek at 70 kms/hour without any visibilty.
Hard to believe.
Put your head lights on for narrow tracks.
Scan the UHF frequency and talk to your self on channel 40 UHF (if by yourself) so other 4WDrivers will know you are on the same track.
Sat phone are only good to talk home and tell your family you are stranded but the help from other 4WDrivers in your near area will come from HF and VKS737.
AnswerID: 3792

Reply By: Ray - Monday, May 27, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, May 27, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks for all the replies!!
AnswerID: 3851

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (11)