caravan purchase

Submitted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1188 Views:3370 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning a touring holiday of Australia over 12 months. I am looking for advice of experienced travellers on what type of caravan to purchase suitable for family of 5 (2 adults 2 children -10,8,4) We are towing it with a diesel Patrol 2.8 litre.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter- Friday, May 24, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, May 24, 2002 at 00:00
Michael, Gidday, your question is like asking "how long is a piece of string". Firstly your parameters are guided by the amount of money your wish to spend. secondly, where you wish to travel: highway or offroad. thirdly, do wish to stay at caravan parks or 'rough it in the bush'. If you do not intend travelling too far off the highway, and stay in caravan parks, you can buy a normal caravan without shower and toilet, costs approx. new, $ 17,000 - $28,000, depending on requirements. Second hand, $10,000 - $25,000, depending on condition. If you wish to travel offroad and stay in bushcamps, you will need to look at showers, toilets, multiple water tanks, extra gas cylinder, power souces (batteries, solar panels, generators, etc.), just to name a few requirements to help make life comfortable, all encompassed in an offroad caravan, starting price, $25,000 secondhand to $50,000 for a new one. For a 12 month trip, to really get the most out of it I would look at a second hand offroad caravan (new one if you can afford it and set up how you want it) with outside shower, gas hotwater heater, dual water tanks (preferably seperated, drinking water in one, washing water in other), two gas cylinders, batteries for power, backed up by either solar panels, portable generator or both, and most importantly for the missus and kids, a chemical toilet with privacy screen. You can get portable shelters which can be used with shower and toilet. I recommend outside shower as it will give you more room inside. I have a 16ft. Windsor Escape offroad caravan ($35,000 new,1998 model) with the above and tow it with a 2.8L T/D Holden Rodeo (93 model) no problems at all. As previously stated, it depends on your needs and amount of money available. I wish you good travelling and know the kids will love it. (perhaps not always during the trip but certainly after it)
AnswerID: 3808

Sponsored Links