recovery hooks or equaliser strap?

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 09:02
ThreadID: 11890 Views:3270 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
in aprevious post someone said that they are using an equaliser strap between the two original recovery loops (front of a Prado 120), rather than fitting a replacement recovery hook (as the original loops look stronger than a lot of original ones). would there be any problem in using a tree trunk protector strap as an equaliser strap??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 09:34

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 09:34
Drew,

Those loops are welded to the chassis and are not rated and if used should be used with extreme care to all concerned. If used only use with an equaliser strap to spread the load. Make sure what you use is no shorter than a tree trunk protector otherwise the force will be placed sideways onto the chassis. Ie the force will want to full the rails inwards. The idea is to spread the load equally to both rails pulling longitudinally. I think I saw a couple of purpose built straps somewhere I think may have been TJM and I think Black Rat have one. As far as rated recovery points go I will have some in the next week or so so if interested you could email me direct.
AnswerID: 53507

Follow Up By: DrewT - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 10:02

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 10:02
David, what are the recovery points you are talking about that you can supply? ie: how are they different from the recovery hooks you can buy in the shops?
FollowupID: 315184

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 12:14

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 12:14
Drew,

There is no where to bolt on those "off the shelf" univerasal hooks on the front of the new Prado. These rated ones I am talking about only fit the Prado.
Enmail me at:
dsheridan
at cmv
dot com
dot au

if you want more info.
AnswerID: 53531

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 15:55

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 15:55
Drew, while using an equaliser strap is better than not using one, it is no substitute for rated recover points. You will find a great many of your fellow 4WDers will not recover you from the front without rated points, even with an equaliser strap, unless it is a very simple and low-load recovery.

AnswerID: 53552

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 18:43

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 18:43
The tree trunk protector is not built as an equaliser strap as it doesn't have any reinforcing or protective sleeve in the middle. I'd suggest using one that way would seriously lower it's breaking point. Craig.........
AnswerID: 53581

Sponsored Links