Heading to Moomba

Submitted: Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 15:15
ThreadID: 118908 Views:3384 Replies:2 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
G'day everybody - just a quick query regarding the availability of diesel past Leigh Creek and heading towards Moomba and eventually Innamincka. Last time i had gone through, the service station at Lyndhurst had closed and just wondering what the current status is. Also any that has been through recently can give a bit of a road condition report.
thank you - bb
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 16:01

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 16:01
Hi Bruce,

Although the fuel depot at Lyndhurst has closed, as far as I know, the pub still sells petrol and diesel. Mind you, it is only 40km past Leigh Creek availability.
Beyond Lyndhurst there is no fuel for 400km until Innamincka. The servo at Moomba is inside the security fence and not available to travellers.
Cannot advise on recent road condition although the Stzrelecki Track is usually OK.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 553960

Follow Up By: bruce bb1 - Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 16:11

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 16:11
Thanks Allan, it's what i expected but not a major problem as we will be going through Leigh Creek and do have to go into the Moomba site for work and have access to the servo in there but it's a red tape nightmare to get fuel. Last time, we re-fuelled at Innamincka at $2:07 plus per litre, i'm not paying as it is a work trip. Also at Innamincka, my tanks hold 90 + 80 litres, i knew i was lowish but managed to fit 177 litres in to the tank. Also had a mate behind me with 20 litres in a jerry so wasn't too worried.
thanks again - bb
FollowupID: 839868

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 16:40

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 16:40
Way back when I worked at Moomba the servo was open to the public but some went further and drove around the installation and through to the service roads. They were of course a menace to themselves and to the employees so the security fence went up.
I was surprised that the servo operator (not Santos) did not arrange it such that the servo could be accessed by travellers as well as Santos. It would have been possible to do so and provided them with further sales.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 839870

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, May 20, 2015 at 05:37

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 at 05:37
Bruce

I don't think that you will run low on fuel when you get to Moomba. With 177 litres and a bit less than 400 Km to Moomba, you would have to be burning more than 40 litres per 100 Kms. That's using almost twice the fuel that we use with the heavy" 100 series.

Rest easy mate. You will have plenty to get to Innamincka if you need to.

Or did I miss something here!
FollowupID: 839914

Follow Up By: bruce bb1 - Wednesday, May 20, 2015 at 13:21

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 at 13:21
g'day vk1dx - you didn't miss anything but once i've finished what i have to do within the Moomba compound, i will doing a scenic long way back to home (Adelaide), must have trouble with the GPS on board - it just tells me to go in this direction even if i'm sure it is going the wrong way. as one of the other posters on this forum has as his signature...."I don't know where I'm going or what I'm doing, but I'm having a hell of a lot of fun going there and doing it".....or words to that effect
thanks - bb
FollowupID: 839943

Reply By: Moke Spider - Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 18:49

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 18:49
I was only up there last week and also a year ago.

Diesel is fairly widely available throughout this region, but certainly not on every corner.

I actually stayed in the Lyndhurst Pub, but I have to say, I didn't notice any bowsers anywhere, they maybe there, just I never saw any.

Leigh Creek, then Innaminka for supplies. There didn't appear to be anything at all available at Moomba.

Last year we travelled via the Old Strzelecki, easy run, and in fairly good condition. certainly far more interesting and less sole / mind destroying the the Strezy Highway, I came that way last week and while in excellent condition did have a lot of truck traffic and deadly boring, I don't ever want to go that way again!
AnswerID: 553975

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 19:24

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 19:24
Diesel pumps at Lyndhurst..........
Just across the road but operated by the pub.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 839886

Follow Up By: Moke Spider - Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 19:32

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 19:32
Ah well that explains why I didn't see them!

There were about half a dozen trucks parked on that side of the street!

Only Diesel?
FollowupID: 839888

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 19:47

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 19:47
Dunno mate. I'm only interested in diesel so didn't notice. Someone may know though.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 839889

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 19:56

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 19:56
Looks like diesel only.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 839890

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 21:03

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 21:03
Hi Moke Spider

As Allan has just said, the fuel pump is across from the pub, and yes, only diesel. Having said that I am not sure of current prices, but will find out in a couple of weeks myself again. Diesel at Lyndhurst used to be 70 cents per litres cheaper than only 80 kilometres up the road at Marree.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 839900

Sponsored Links