Travelling with a disability

Submitted: Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 17:13
ThreadID: 118910 Views:2326 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I have recently had my right leg amputated above the knee and am at present using crutches and a wheelchair for mobility I am being fitted for a prosthetic leg. I have a Cub Off Road camper trailer and my wife and I would like to continue to go on trips and we were wondering have any other members have a similar disability and who are still travelling, what are the problems (if any) they have encountered while travelling and setting up camp.
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev - Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 17:48

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 17:48
Not an amputee as such but I have had a spinal fusion and the "Boss" has MS.
We sold our previous camper due to issues in setting it up and packing it. The new camper has a hand winch to assist in the folding up of the hard floor. Sliding drawers instead of stuff packed in boxes.

Ability to be able to have minimal effort to both set up and pack up camp is the main issues I foresee you having.

The best thing is to get out there and try different ways of setting up and packing up, even if at home and work out what methods best suit you.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 553968

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 17:51

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 17:51
Mate, you have a great spirit, good on ya.
This fellows adventures might give you some ideas and further inspiration . . . http://lostabound.com/

He posts from time to time on numerous boards, but here's a couple of his links to threads that might have other useful info . . .
http://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?threads/troopy-adventures-around-the-world-as-a-parra.33268/
http://www.offroad80s.com/around-the-world-in-a-troopy-as-a-para-t13534.html
AnswerID: 553971

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 18:35

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 18:35
My major disability is my sense of humour............

Love your member name........... "Bentaxle". :))
All the best mate.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 553973

Reply By: Eric Experience - Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 20:17

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 20:17
Bentaxle.
By far the best thing to do is get away from towing anything. A motor home is so much easier. A good 4x4 motor home will go any where you need to go and you can move around inside without using your chair or crutches. Eric
AnswerID: 553979

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 21:44

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 21:44
Bent axle,

I can't talk from personal experience but there is a guy who posts on this site who is a paraplegic in a chair who has modified a Landcruiser - himself - and is currently on a worldwide adventure. I can't recall his name but I'm sure their is some one who will. Perhaps you can PM him and get some good first hand experience.

Also, when I was in Longreach last year, I met a delightful couple who were travelling in a modified motor home. He was a tetraplegic and his wife was his full time carer. I was absolutely envious of the places they had been and the things they had done.

I am sure once you get used to your prosthesis, you will have no troubles continuing to enjoy your travel.

Kudos to you for not giving up

Cheers

Anthony
AnswerID: 553984

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 21:46

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 21:46
Sorry Les - just read your post with the contact details

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 839909

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 21:47

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 21:47
Anthony, is that the fella in the link in my post above ?
Hadn't seen his posts here, but he does post to many so it wouldn't surprise me if they are here too.

Motorhome / converted mid size bus does sound like an option to consider.
FollowupID: 839910

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 22:11

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 22:11
Hi Les

Yeah! Pretty sure it is the same guy. I think he is from New South Wales.

Pretty sure he posted some info on his build on this forum. BUT, I may have seen it elsewhere.

Very inspirational - makes my aches and pains from sleeping on the ground sound like a whinge doesn't it.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 839911

Follow Up By: Member - tommo05 - Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 22:41

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 22:41
He has definitely posted here a few times. I love his photos, he has taken that troopy to some amazing landscapes.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 839912

Follow Up By: Member - Young Nomads - Thursday, May 21, 2015 at 22:06

Thursday, May 21, 2015 at 22:06
Jol Flemming from NT could be who you are referring to.
Has done many remote trips.

Direct Four WD Awareness

Cheers
Robyn
FollowupID: 840025

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, May 22, 2015 at 08:03

Friday, May 22, 2015 at 08:03
Les/Anthony/Robyn,

The bloke you are referring to is rb30e.Well, that's the nom de plume he uses when posting on this site.

Worth a look, if only for the inspiration and the photos,

Haven't heard from him for some time......they were heading across to Africa. Maybe Nigeria is the only country over there with Internet access? :-)

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 840030

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Friday, May 22, 2015 at 19:16

Friday, May 22, 2015 at 19:16
Hi

The "Jol Flemming from NT " that Young Nomads mentioned I think is a volunteer radio operator in Alice Springs with the VKS737 network

I might be wrong but it rang a bell in my head....might be worth trying them and ask

We just came back from a week in Cairns and came across a paraplegic from NZ who was travelling around the FNQ coast and the spots we came across them in just a few days...well I take my hat off to them and in particular the wife....they simply didn't take no for an answer....they were using a caravan.

cheers mate...good on you for moving forward.
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 840055

Reply By: rumpig - Friday, May 22, 2015 at 19:40

Friday, May 22, 2015 at 19:40
Hi Bentaxle,
If you'd like to converse with someone with a similar disability as you have, can i suggest you also jump on Expedition Portal forum and get in contact with a fella by the name of Lance (he lives in America though). His user name over there is 1leglance and he used to run a foundation called Disabled Explorers. I've had him (and his wife and a son) stay at our house when he came to Australia on holidays a few years back, and i can tell you he doesn't let the loss of a leg stop him from getting outdoors exploring. Expedition Portal forum has a sub forum dedicated to Disabled Explorers also, i'm not sure how much traffic it gets there, but it's bound to have a fair bit of reading material you may be interested in.
AnswerID: 554105

Sponsored Links