Birdsville or Strzeleki tracks

We're currently in the Flinders and going thro to Brisbane. Looking for advice on the condition of these tracks before deciding whether to backtrack to Broken Hill or to take one of these tracks. Have heard that the Birdsville is very stony at present but have no knowledge on the Strzeleki. We are towing a small (semi) off-road van with the previous model Ranger.

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, May 23, 2015 at 20:38

Saturday, May 23, 2015 at 20:38
Both of these are fairly well maintained tracks.
If you take it as slow as needed, drop pressures on both vehicle and van tyres to say 25, you can take either in reasonable safety / comfort.
You will find the Strz most likely a bit more patchy in places, bulldust patches from heavy trucks, very dusty . . . travelling mate from Gold Coast went back that way via Cameron Corner a week ago and said it was very corrugated from Strz to the corner.
Innaminka and out west might be a better option, and give a chance to visit Burke & Wills dig tree if it's of interest (good camping there too).
If taking BV Tk, Birdsville east via Windorah, Quiplie, Charleville, Roma, Toowoombato Brissy is a very good drive, went in that way for the Simmo a couple of weeks ago.
AnswerID: 554141

Reply By: Sigmund - Saturday, May 23, 2015 at 22:10

Saturday, May 23, 2015 at 22:10
Did the Birdsville Tk a few days back.

Very good nick. 80-90 kmh.

Yes there's some large gravel but few surprises.
AnswerID: 554147

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 17:19

Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 17:19
What's a surprise?

A mud hole that's dried hard and wasn't covered in the last grading. I saw one of those.

A series of floodways that are fine followed by one that's got a wash-out in the bottom. Didn't see any.

A decent sized rock that you don't notice til too late. A couple. (It's a good idea as always to cover your rear window with foam, coreflute or polycarb.)

Heavy corrugations on your side that you swing out to avoid, only to find they're in the centre and the right side too. Your wagon starts to float at speed. A few.

The track has been realigned in a few places since I drove it last and it feels much faster. That time it was rain affected and took over six hours to do BV to Mungerannie.
FollowupID: 840164

Reply By: aussiedingo (River Rina) - Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 17:31

Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 17:31

Was OK in the Falcon in 1995 when it was a goat track! Travelled the full length with standard road tyres & no extra ground clearance - great!
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 554172

Sponsored Links