Ford Courier gearbox

Submitted: Monday, May 25, 2015 at 19:37
ThreadID: 118972 Views:7376 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
My 1994 Ford Courier XL 4WD ute seems to have two gearboxes as well as the transfer case! These "two gear boxes" are between the bell housing and the slanted transfer case. There is a filler plug and drain plug for each unit. What's going on?
I've serviced many gear boxes and transfer cases before but have never seen this setup before.
Also I cant seem to buy a workshop manual for this year of vehicle. Any hints?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hoyks - Monday, May 25, 2015 at 20:06

Monday, May 25, 2015 at 20:06
You will have the bell housing/front 1/2 of the box which will have the clutch in the front, then and the input shaft/idler shaft bearings. In the middle there is a 1" plate that has more bearings, then the back 1/2 of the case which is also an adapter to fit the transfer case onto.
2WD and 4WD share the same front 2/3rd of the gearbox, 2WD gets a different housing where the adapter bolts on, 2WD has a long skinny output shaft & housing.
AnswerID: 554220

Follow Up By: GerryG - Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 12:59

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 12:59
Hi Hoyks,
Thanks for your reply. I went into Ford today and they told me that the front part of the gear box is a 4 speed cast iron unit from a small Mazda truck, so Ford, and probably Mazda, have attached an alloy unit onto the rear, to use for 5th and reverse gears.
That's why the two units have individual filling and drain plugs, they are basically two separate gear box housings. Apparently it's common with a few of the older 4WDs.

I'm having bit of a problem with the oil in the front unit getting low and the oil in the rear unit increasing; leading me to think that the oil is getting past a seal between the two.

Ford said some people have put a hose between the two filler plugs so the oil will simply drain back to where it came from so I will try that.

Also no one seems to have a manual for it but I'm going to try "Book works" as they used to have and original one. (Cost $199 though)
regards, Gerry
FollowupID: 840257

Follow Up By: Hoyks - Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 14:04

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 14:04
They must have changed them by the PD
I had a '98 model. Lucky the '99 model had a lot in common, and that is where I got a manual.

As for the tube between the filler plugs, that is a common modification on older Land Cruisers and Hilux. On them a seal between the gearbox and transfer case would wear and drain most of the oil into the transfer case. Fitting a hose to level things out is much easier than dropping the box and splitting the cases.

If the plug thread is the same, buying one would be easier than making from scratch.
http://www.allfourx4.com.au/Gearbox-to-Transfer-Case-Bypass-Hose-Toyota-Landcruiser-and-Hilux
FollowupID: 840262

Sponsored Links