Nearly Killed by a Cob Cooker.

Submitted: Monday, May 25, 2015 at 21:59
ThreadID: 118973 Views:2964 Replies:9 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
A couple of days ago I received the following email from an old friend – who nearly killed himself with carbon monoxide poisoning.

“For many years (since 2004) we have used a Cobb Cooker for cooking and heating at night when cold.These cookers use charcoal briquettes, and we have plenty of ventilation being our van is a pop-top.We ran out of briquettes prior to Merredin, so bought more, different type"

“Well at 0130 in the morning, got up for a drink of water, so passed the cooker which we had on the floor, noticed it was still glowing, so must have took a good lung full of fumes, I turned to walk back to bed and collapsed. Fell badly, split my little finger on right hand, the floor and myself was covered in blood (bloody aspirin). bruised both knees, hit my head, minor cuts there. The main thing was, I hit the wooden chair arm with my right side of my chest on the way down. I can't remember a bloody thing about it, waking up with the wife screaming. Went into shock, that took about an hour to go. That morning was not fit enough to travel, so just rested. Following day headed to Southern Cross, the hospital. No waiting straight in. Had an ECG and blood tests to rule out Heart Attack, everything ok there. They patched up the cuts etc. Then the doc came in to checkout my chest, luckily nothing broken, could have fracture(s) ribs.”

I hope this helps in making people aware of the dangers of running unflued heaters in unventilated enclosures
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TomH - Monday, May 25, 2015 at 22:54

Monday, May 25, 2015 at 22:54
If I remember correctly the instructions say not to be used in an enclosed space for that very reason, A reasonably intelligent person should realise that the process of fire gives off toxic fumes that may affect your health.


Here are the instructions Please advise your friends to read the Safety paragraph

http://cobb.pl/data/include/cms/COBB/SUPREME_Instrukcja-en.pdf

A recent example was of the kids killed down south in a similar situation but from running a generator indoors Sadly they died
AnswerID: 554227

Follow Up By: TomH - Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 08:12

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 08:12
Is a classic case of the "Ive done it for 40 years" so it must be Ok brigade.

My late wife was a member, with smoking.

She always said Ive been smoking for 37 years and its done me no harm.
True, but the 38th killed her.

The above are lucky the same didnt happen.
0
FollowupID: 840244

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 09:30

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 09:30
Reminds me of all the old smokers I used to know including my father "Smoking helps clear my chest" cough cough spew up yer guts.
Dad dead at 52. FiL dead at 61. Smokers til the end.
As for using a cooker burning heat beads inside to keep warm!!!! What can one say?
Maybe outside under the awning while telling lies before bed, but never inside.
AlanH.


0
FollowupID: 840250

Reply By: The Explorer - Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 02:11

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 02:11
Hi

Had similar symptoms/accidents from red wine - possibly unrelated to CO.. but be warned.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Moderator

AnswerID: 554230

Follow Up By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 07:50

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 07:50
Gday
I get the same from scotch .
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

0
FollowupID: 840242

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 11:20

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 11:20
Greg / Muzbry

What you are suffering from is an extremely rare allergy to a Neurotoxic psychoactive substance. The individual chemical compound has recently been isolated and the chemical formula is CH3CH2OH.

Unfortunately, I too am a member of the distinguished group that is affected by this same substance...

I must be allergic to alcohol... 'Cause if I drink it, sometimes it makes me sick.

Cheers

Anthony
VKS 3539
Work - a 40 hour interuption to my weekend!
Too many places - too little time

Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

0
FollowupID: 840256

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, May 28, 2015 at 17:30

Thursday, May 28, 2015 at 17:30
If Red wine, its probably Sulphur dioxode , white wines can be worse because more is normally added. its a preservative. i suffer from this in some wines. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

There's time to rest when you're dead,
Get out and do something instead!

Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

0
FollowupID: 840400

Reply By: Roachie.kadina.sa.au - Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 06:31

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 06:31
Sorry to read of your friend's experience......but honestly.....

The thread should have been called: "Nearly killed by my Own Stupidity"
AnswerID: 554232

Follow Up By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 07:51

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 07:51
Good morning Roachie
We should nominate him for a 'Darwin award'
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

0
FollowupID: 840243

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 08:49

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 08:49
Darwin Award is only awarded to those that successfully departed, this guy was lucky not to be one of the nominees.
0
FollowupID: 840246

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 11:10

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 11:10
Sorry if my reply offends you Dennis...

I had only just finished reading the OP when I thought who's fault is this - the Cobb Cooker or the idiot using it? I too came up with the same alternative title.

We hooked up with some fellow travellers for a while last year - they would put their camp oven on a couple of bricks - filled with coals - inside their small caravan. they couldn't understand why they were having the best night sleeps ever. REALLY!

Perhaps it was the CO and CO2 and other poisonous gases being released from the treated pine bollards (we are only taking one) and any waste timber they could burn putting them into a state of semi consciousness?

Three nights and I decided we were going north when they were going south.

Cheers

Anthony

VKS 3539
Work - a 40 hour interuption to my weekend!
Too many places - too little time

Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

0
FollowupID: 840255

Follow Up By: Member - mike g2 - Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 03:19

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 03:19
HI all, I reckon he's brave to publish it and run the gauntlet. most of us have done silly things of one sort or another in our times. common example- bog in mud or on beach then tide threatens..
personally I have managed to survive at least 1 attempt at electrocution and another that I would loosely call a chain saw incident!! ( I expect some response to this one).
I believe Darwin does award honorary mentions to those who 'try hard' but don't quite succeed. Fair point to mention the risk from camp heaters-even if obvious. have read of a few badly damaged by LPG explosions related to c/vans, beach/fishing shacks etc.. over the years.
MG.
0
FollowupID: 840312

Reply By: birdnerd - Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 07:44

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 07:44
Hi Dennis,
Correct me if I am wrong but should the Cobb cooker only be used for cooking? There are plenty of heating devices on the market. Lucky he was not more seriously injured.
Amanda
AnswerID: 554233

Reply By: wholehog- Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 08:04

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 08:04
He's damn lucky he actually got to wake up to then injure himself. Even a self uppercut would be better than the nearly happened alternative.
AnswerID: 554235

Reply By: Member - John G - Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 10:08

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 10:08
G'day Dennis

If we talk probability vs possibility, then the probability is that it was the cooker. But there are other nasties besides a heart attack ( I don't count scotch or red wine as nasties) that can cause a collapse in the circumstances that your friend recounts.

Cheers
John
AnswerID: 554241

Reply By: Notso - Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 10:52

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 10:52
Yeah, they'll probably ban the sale of Cobb Cookers now like they did with those Butane Stoves. We just gotta be protected from our own stupidity. Personally I agree with the Darwin awards. The only thing there is we need em to get the award before they procreate.
AnswerID: 554243

Follow Up By: FatGaz - Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 15:19

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 15:19
Lets create a "Near Darwin" award. Free vasectomy with every nomination.
1
FollowupID: 840269

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 11:01

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 11:01
Hi all,
Thanks for your responses – I wasn’t there and I don’t own a Cobb Cooker but my friend, after talking to his doctor, is convinced it was carbon monoxide poisoning.
AnswerID: 554244

Reply By: Bazooka - Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 15:52

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 15:52
Battery operated CO alarms certified to EN50291:2010 standard can be had for under $40
AnswerID: 554262

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)