Kidson Track

Is there any CURRENT reports on the Kidson Track please? I have talked to the local communities and Sandfire Roadhouse and they tell me that some have travelled in the past couple of weeks but none have reported back despite being requested to do so.
Regards Quentin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 16:22

Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 16:22
Conditions don't change much out there Quentin. Now that the exploration push has abated, the condition of the track from the Gwenneth Lakes turnoff back to Sandfire (the track that had been beautifully graded to allow for the exploration mobs to get their gear in) will continue to deteriorate. The area east of that turnoff is affected in some areas by erosion and encroaching scrub so unless a fire has been trough in the past year, expect a bit of a lashing against the duco here and there. There are no serviceable bores along the route.

We will be keen to here a track report from you once you reach the west.

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 554434

Follow Up By: Quentin S - Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 23:21

Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 23:21
Thanks Mick, We wont need water unless the plan fails and we need water but that would be unlikely and we don't have any duco left.
I have been in contact with the Kunawarritji Community and they tell me that a party has left on the Kidson Track about 2 weeks ago and were to provide a track report to them. This hasn't happened. Selfish and irresponsible I say. I will certainly provide a track report if we do decide to have a look but will make that call closer to the day. We plan leaving Perth on or about the 15th of this month. Thanks again for your input.
FollowupID: 840535

Follow Up By: Mick O - Sunday, May 31, 2015 at 00:24

Sunday, May 31, 2015 at 00:24
Cheers Quentin. Enjoy the drive and don't sweat it. It's a very enjoyable piece of outback travel and providing you're taking it easy (which no doubt you are), it will not be an issue for you...unless it rains ;-) Then you'll be one of the rare individuals who's actually experienced inclement weather up there.

Cheers, safe travels and look forward to your report.

M.
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 840540

Follow Up By: Quentin S - Monday, Jun 01, 2015 at 23:26

Monday, Jun 01, 2015 at 23:26
G'day Mick,
Just thought I would keep you posted. I spoke with the Punmu Community today and they tell me that they have had significant rain for some time and it continues. The Telfer Rd has just reopened today. We will talk with them again in a couple of weeks but may need to look at the Kidson when things are a bit better, perhaps even next season. We will be disappointed but we will stay safe.
Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.
Regards
Quentin
FollowupID: 840600

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 22:12

Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 22:12
Are you aware that you now have to purchase a permit Quentin, following a native title determination?

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 554447

Follow Up By: Quentin S - Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 23:11

Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 23:11
Thanks for your heads up on this. You know its a funny world we live in. I have always been at pains to ensure that we adhere to local requirements, not because I agree with them but because we have to. I have had ongoing contact with the Kunawarritji community and have raised this issue with them several times however they tell me that they are not aware of any permits that I should seek to drive the Kidson Track. I sometimes wonder who really is behind of all of this nonsense. I have the same experience in many remote areas that we have travelled. It seems to me that city, urban or sub urban dwellers are intent on enforcing things that true local inhabitants are not aware of and don't necessarily support. All they ask is that we respect the land that we travel, and that's reasonable.
FollowupID: 840533

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 23:16

Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 23:16
Kunawarritji and that section of the Canning Stock Route are under the control of the Martu people, whereas the Permit area of the Kidson Track (now the Nyangumarta Highway) is under the control of the Nyangumarta people. Four Wheel Drive Australia administers permits for both of these.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 840534

Follow Up By: Quentin S - Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 23:24

Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 23:24
Yes I'm sure they do. Thanks again.
FollowupID: 840536

Reply By: andy - Sunday, May 31, 2015 at 01:31

Sunday, May 31, 2015 at 01:31
Hi Quentin

We travelled the Kidson/Wapet Road in 2014 end of July from Kunawarritji to the Coast. Up to the turnoff towards Gwenneth Lakes the track was quite rough and overgrown and therefore slow. From the turnoff to the West it became very comfortable. What happened since we don't know. The permit was obtained through the internet, it was issued for the Aboriginal Reserve No 99999. Nobody could tell us the meaning of the number.

The track to Gwenneth Lakes was still good at the time. If you have the time, fuel and water to explore the turnoffs (graded roads) towards Swindell Airfield, Mc Tavish Claypan and Marble Bar please let us know of your experience.

Have fun
Andy
AnswerID: 554454

Follow Up By: Quentin S - Monday, Jun 01, 2015 at 12:25

Monday, Jun 01, 2015 at 12:25
G'day Andy,
Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.
I have poured over my maps and cannot find Gwenneth Lakes turn off from the Kidson. Can you let me know where this is please.
Regards
Quentin
FollowupID: 840582

Follow Up By: andy - Monday, Jun 01, 2015 at 15:00

Monday, Jun 01, 2015 at 15:00
Hi Quentin

The turnoff to Gwenneth Lakes is shown on the HEMA Great Desert Tracks (NW sheet) map and the 250k NATMAP of that area. From our trip log it is at 21deg 22' 36" S / 123deg 26' 21" E.

Cheers
Andy
FollowupID: 840584

Follow Up By: Quentin S - Monday, Jun 01, 2015 at 18:20

Monday, Jun 01, 2015 at 18:20
Thanks Andy. I have spoken with the Punmu Community by phone today. They tell me that there has been a lot of rain up there and it continues. The Telfer road has only re opened today. I will talk to them again in a couple of weeks and make a call then. Might have to put it off for another time.
Regards
Quentin
FollowupID: 840589

Follow Up By: andy - Monday, Jun 01, 2015 at 20:00

Monday, Jun 01, 2015 at 20:00
I agree. Especially the track through the northern end of Lake Auld can become impassible after heavy long duration rain. The first time we had to return at the turnoff to the Kidson because there was water covering the whole area. The second time we travelled from the coast and hit the same area again with plenty of water on the track. Not wanting to travel back all the way to the coast we continued and nearly got stuck, no good when you travel on your own.

Cheers
Andreas
FollowupID: 840594

Sponsored Links