4WD info for Big Red Bash 5th and 6th July 2015

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 02, 2015 at 20:10
ThreadID: 119067 Views:1953 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
With Jimmy Barnes as headline act we are expecting an even bigger crowd for the Big Red Bash this year.

At the suggestion of the land owner, council and police we’ll be placing restrictions on Big Red for the safety of everyone in the area. We’ve worked hard to minimise disturbances to other visitors but this popular event keeps growing and we need a few common sense precautions in place. You’ll still be able to cross Big Red albeit on fewer of the tracks.

4WD Information
* The main western and eastern tracks over Big Red will be open until 4pm each day (side tracks will be closed because they place vehicles above the stage).
* If traffic gets too busy police may close Big Red at any time.
* Please note that any closure decision will be made jointly by the land owners (Brook Proprietors), Diamantina Shire Council, Queensland Police and the event organisers.

If you come to the concert:
* No glass at the concert venue.
* No firewood collection/no chainsaws.
* No concert camping before noon on 4th July 2015.

There’s free camping in front of the stage for the Concert from noon onwards on 4th July.

More concert details: www.bigredbash.com.au
Any enquiries please contact Lucas Trihey at lucas@escalade.com.au
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gronk - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2015 at 10:20

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2015 at 10:20
Looks like it's going to be big this year.....which is surprising considering the very high prices..

But I suppose it's a good thing in one way....by keeping the crowd down enough so it doesn't get out of hand !
AnswerID: 554533

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2015 at 16:39

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2015 at 16:39
Well I hope common sense is used in the decisions . . . the BRB website says :

"Will vehicle access to Big Red be restricted during the concert period?
The concert location to the North of the car tracks, will not restrict people using the tracks up and down Big Red.
However as there will be a lot of people in the area, including children please take extreme care when driving up and down Big Red.
The concert organisers take no responsibility for people driving or conducting any activities outside the concert area."

Nothing there about possible closures.

I am bringing a group through Sun 5th around 3pm, and for a few this is their first trip through the Simmo and to Big Red and BV, they are very much looking forward to a run up and down the Big Red main tracks.
AnswerID: 554538

Reply By: Luke2 - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2015 at 17:00

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2015 at 17:00
Hi Les,
The latest info on closing times came as a result of a recent meeting with police, council and the land owners so the info in my post is the most up to date. We do want to keep options open for a full closure earlier in the day - if there's heaps of kids around and lots of 4WDS then it might just get too congested. I've been up on top of Big Red many times over the years and it actually gets pretty crazy when too many are around and there's been some nasty collisions and lots of near misses so unfortunately it isn't just the concert that's causing congestion.
Anyway we'll do our best - all the organisers are also keen 4WDers and we will be trying to minimise disruption to what is a pretty magic part of the world.
We hope that by getting the word out early people can plan to avoid the busiest time (or else come and join us for the concert).
In your case - if you roll in mid afternoon you should be fine unless it's a very busy 4WD day. It might be an idea to factor in a bit of time the following morning to have a play when it isn't so busy?
Crossing the Simpson is always a great trip Les so have a great time out there.
Lucas
AnswerID: 554540

Follow Up By: CSeaJay - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2015 at 20:28

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2015 at 20:28
Luke,

Please advise your role, are you part of the group organising the event or a local?
Sorry if I should know but I dont.
FollowupID: 840662

Follow Up By: Luke2 - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2015 at 20:37

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2015 at 20:37
I'm helping organise it. Based in NSW but I've been working in Birdsville for a couple of months each winter for the past 4 years. I also organise remote treks for people in un-tracked parts of the desert. This concert all started with The Big Red Run, a fund raising endurance event for research into Type 1 diabetes (6-day stage race in the Simpson) and that's how I got involved (in 2006 I walked unsupported across the Simpson, through the geo-centre in 17 days pulling a cart with my water etc). Then the bloke, Greg who started the running event (whose son got diabetes as a 14 year old) wanted to have a concert as well to support the run, and now the concert has become much bigger than the run. In 2013 it was John Williamson, then 2014 was James Raine, Kasey Chambers etc and now Jimmy Barnes for 2015.
FollowupID: 840663

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2015 at 23:38

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2015 at 23:38
Cheers Lucas, hopefully it is quiet around that time, most are out of the desert by then or close to thinking of leaving, and with the concert perhaps starting, people might be away from the main tracks.
FollowupID: 840669

Reply By: Michael 1954 - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2015 at 21:02

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2015 at 21:02
Was planning to go to this event but could not find any one interested in going with,at short notice.
So may be next year
AnswerID: 554544

Reply By: The Landy - Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 07:40

Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 07:40
Strewth, I must be getting old…

I grew up on a diet of Jimmy Barnes and some of the other headline acts and I still blast them out daily up in the “shed” while I’m training. And as for deserts, love them and as a family we can’t get enough of that sort of travel.

However, I’ll say, I prefer to keep the two separate. Each to their own mind you…

But hey, I recognise it is for a great cause and I wish the event and those who attend it a successful concert!

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
AnswerID: 554549

Sponsored Links