Toilet Seat Test

Finally got to do a proper test on a new Loo on our recent desert trip.

Our remote area trips usually have nothing but a spade but its becoming time for the next step up and the older girls have some difficulty in squatting in the bush.

Just having a seat is a big help , however in the past we have seen many toilet versions in use , none of which is completely right.

This one also has its issues , but like all products it has to be considered in light of your own requirements.

This product has provide ideal for quick stops by the roadside when something needs to be set up and put away quickly, and in this mode is usually used for a quick wee straight onto the sand.

Unlike some other quick chairs it has a wider more stable footprint with bigger feet and has proved to be effective.

In an overnight camp situation in is used normally with a bio-degradable plastic bag.

The bag was used in 2 modes either with bottom cut out over a hole in ground , or as just a bag which is buried later.

I think it worked better in the second mode.

The top part of the seat is attached with velcro and comes off to fit the bags.

I found it better to use masking tape to assist with holding the bag in place as they could become heavy.

Its a little harder to use toilet paper with this seat because it does move a little, but ok with practise.

The flap sits at the front of the seat reducing potential splash and also clips up and over the seat keeping flies etc out when not in use.

The almost see thru plastic bags do however look a bit unsightly and I would like to find a soucre of dark bio-begradable plastic bags.

Space in our car is limited when on the move so products have to work and this one does justify its place in the car.

One has to overcome some mental reservations here , but with the flap over the hole it can even be used as a spare seat and on another day I even placed our jacking plate on it making a sort of second table !

To make things quicker we modified the chairs carry bag by removing the string widening the seam and attached velcro for a quick packup.

Ours was around $25 from BCF.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Glenn C5 - Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 11:34

Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 11:34
Hi Robin. I have seen these before. You will need to do a drop test without the bag to ensure the landing area is correct. Also you should have a look at the model that has the arm rests. This makes it easier for dismounting and also converts into a very comfortable camp chair. As for the "flap over the hole" I would be very careful using in that configuration. Anyway good luck.
AnswerID: 554558

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 12:06

Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 12:06
Glenn the problem with that model is that whenever someone else wants to go to the toilet you have to give up your seat and stand around the fire for 20 minutes. Best to tell them not to walk off too far into the bush with it so that the seat is still warm when you get it back LOL

The other problem is if you have had too much to drink and get confused about whether you are in campfire mode or toilet mode
FollowupID: 840680

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 14:15

Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 14:15
I guess it would make dismounting easy Glenn , I have not seen the model with arms but would not that make it much harder to "Clean Up".

I agree on the drop test and one reason I got this over the solid plastic stool types was that this has a wider base, it is 400mm between the leg bases.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 840689

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 13:14

Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 13:14
Ah Robin, We sure do cover a wide range of subjects on this forum! But your review came just 24 hours late for me.

We had been using a camp-stool type with a moulded plastic seat but it proved to be flimsy by breaking its plastic attachment lugs. So I have just purchased a similar, but hopefully better, model.
I looked online at the one you purchased but could not get my head around the horseshoe-shaped ring thingummy so passed it up.

Having also purchased a shower tent to replace the small tarp we had been using, the thought occurred to also use the tent as a toilet with a bag for burial. So your concept of "dark biodegradable bags" is appealing. Please let us know if you locate a source.

But your idea of using the jacking plate on the stool as a fireside coffee table is very attractive to me. No more sand on the Hors d'oeuvres! Many thanks.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 554559

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 13:31

Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 13:31
I am happy to use the same shovel for toilet and fire duties etc but I will NEVER be that short on space that I have to serve a meal off the dunny seat!
FollowupID: 840681

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 13:40

Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 13:40
Dark biodegradable bags ? The grey IGA super market bags don't last from the checkout to the vehicle if more that 50mtr away !! Perfect for ?
FollowupID: 840682

Follow Up By: Crusier 91 - Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 13:41

Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 13:41
We have used this for the last 3 years
http://boginabag.net.au/buy-boginabag-products.html

The chair is for the little people. The bags are great.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Boginabag-Bog-in-a-bag-Replacement-bags-for-foldable-portable-toilet-stool-/130873167672

I purchased about 6 packs at the time with free post.

I have heard that the local supermarket has bio bags as well. Havent checked it out as yet because we have plenty left.
FollowupID: 840683

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 13:44

Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 13:44
Ahh Alby, fussy, fussy! lol

And Alloy, The supermarket bags usually have holes at the 'business end'. Barely OK for rubbish even.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 840684

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 13:49

Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 13:49
Hell Crusier, $7.95 for 5 bags???? $1.79 each!!!
Puts a new slant on "spending a penny".
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 840685

Follow Up By: Crusier 91 - Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 13:52

Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 13:52
Read the Q&A lol. You will be amazed how much these bags carry and hold in kg's lol
FollowupID: 840686

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 13:59

Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 13:59
125kg??? It's for me, not an elephant!!
But I now see the "absorbent pad" reference. That does make a difference although I was figuring on 'single use'.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 840687

Reply By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 18:46

Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 18:46
G`day Robin,
The EO Shop has bio toilet bags and satchels of powder that is emptied into the bag prior to use, it will "semi solidify" about 2 liters of waste and eliminate any odour.
I have been using the bags and powder and reckon they are great.
There is also a popup toilet seat but these have not been available from the shop for some time, however I have seen them advertised on some camping stores web sites, Anaconda was one I think.

Squatting is ok it`s standing up again that`s getting difficult for an old bloke . LOL

Scrubby,
AnswerID: 554574

Follow Up By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 18:48

Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 18:48
I forgot to add that the bags are black.

Scrubby.
FollowupID: 840697

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 18:52

Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 18:52
Might follow that up Scrubby and try to find out dimensions, thanks
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 840698

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Jun 05, 2015 at 17:03

Friday, Jun 05, 2015 at 17:03
The Boss bought one of these some time ago, Robin, as she was finding her joints were at odds with the normal position required to obtain some internal comfort. It was stored unused, in our camper, until a trip to Kingsborough(west of Cairns) this Easter.

Since the purchase of the seat/camp chair/"horse-doover" table, she had a double knee reconstruction 12 months ago. No doubt now the aforementioned item will always travel with us, especially for quick stops along the road.

Bought some of the bags from the EO shop too, but haven't tested them yet. Did someone say 125 kgs capacity? Phew! That's a lot of ............

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 554614

Sponsored Links