performance intake.

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 12:42
ThreadID: 119081 Views:2240 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking to get a freer flowing intake pipe, would like to keep the MAF, would like it all aluminium, would like a pod type filter and would like to box it in to separate it from the engine bay heat.

What can I do? It's for an '06 Sahara, 4.7 V8.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Slow one - Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 17:36

Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 17:36
You could enter it in the next Bathurst 1000. I simply don't know why you would want to put a pod air cleaner or try to alter the software to remove the maf.
AnswerID: 554572

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 18:04

Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 18:04
Am I missing something? He said he would like to keep the MAF
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 840694

Follow Up By: Slow one - Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 18:52

Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 18:52
Frank, yes you are right, I read it the wrong way. Apologies to the OP .

To the OP. Pob air cleaners are for the race boys. If your vehicle only runs on the blacktop then a pod would be ok.

Tojo air cleaners are a good all round unit and I don't believe any thing would be gained.

FollowupID: 840699

Reply By: Ross M - Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 23:27

Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 23:27
You only use a Pod aircleaner if you don't value the engine life.
Absolutely no good for taking fine dirt out of the airstream.

Unilfilter will do better and will also filter the engines airflow and keep fine dust out of the intake stream.

Why do you think a different intake will improve the system?

The area around, prior to the MAF and after it, is designed to work for correct reading of the airmass entering the engine. That governs fuel injection amounts.
Tamper with that and you may not have it operate properly at all.
Aluminium intake will absorb engine heat and make the intake air hotter than normal. Not a good idea and you may lose volumetric efficiency to some degree. ie, less oxygen into the engine.
AnswerID: 554579

Reply By: Life Member TourBoy, Bundaberg - Friday, Jun 05, 2015 at 08:52

Friday, Jun 05, 2015 at 08:52
If you want more air then remove the factory "hiclone" type unit between the guard and the air cleaner. It blocks around 50% of the air flow. They are fitted to all 100 series and 120 series prados (and maybe more). I just cut the guts out of mine and left about 10mm of the fins around the outside which still spins the air but removes the section that blocks it up.
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 554584

Reply By: Batt's - Friday, Jun 05, 2015 at 21:29

Friday, Jun 05, 2015 at 21:29
Interested to know what you are hoping to gain by using a pod under the bonnet ? If you want a bit more power then fitting a snorkel to draw in cooler air is the best option and fitting a K&N air filter or a foam filter will increase airflow so you should gain some power and maybe improve fuel consumption you can also fit a pre filter to the snorkel head to keep out bugs. Using a pod under the bonnet will have a limited effect because you're still drawing in hot air from under the bonnet even if you put it in a box trying to limit the heat drawn in you're not getting the fresh air from outside directed into your intake and if you do go off road and do water crossings you are still at risk of sucking water if you accidently find a deep hole which occasionally happens.
AnswerID: 554626

Reply By: Ben S14 - Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 06:59

Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 06:59
This car is a tow car for my drift car. If I wanted a four wheel drive to do out back adventures I wouldn't buy one with a petrol engine or a leather interior... I didn't come on here to tell people what car to drive I asked about pod filter intake options... In the comments listed already I have been told that aluminum intakes sap power, pod filters dont do a good enough job etc... The drift car I use has been in to the sand pit on more than one occasion which is more dirt use than the Sahara will see for 1 and for 2 you say these intakes will rob power so use a snorkel etc... I don't have a snorkel on my drift car, it has an LS1 with one of these aluminum intakes and makes 518hp in its current setup so if it works (which it clearly does for this vehicle) then I don't see what the problem is with the 2UZ so if we could stay on topic here I'd like to find a POD type intake, I want to KEEP the MAF, the POD will be a non oiled type so I don't clog up the MAF, I'd like to use a heat shield of sorts to keep engine bay heat out of the POD area without having to try fit the POD in a box.

Also there are many examples of the POD setup in the UZJ100 leading to 05... The 06 and 07 aren't listed with K&N so I'm here asking for your help, up to 05 they used them, the Jeep guys use them etc and these are a bolt on mod so IF I wanted to go Four Wheel Driving I could easily put the stock intake back on... Its not hard...

So I ask again, has anyone got a route I can go down for a POD type intake?

Please and thanks.
AnswerID: 554681

Follow Up By: rumpig - Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 09:19

Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 09:19
Can i suggest you join up to LCOOL forum and ask your question over there Ben, it's a dedicated Landcruiser forum. There's a few guys running supercharged petrol engines on their Crusiers over there, they may have some of the answers you are seeking.
FollowupID: 840798

Reply By: Ben S14 - Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 19:53

Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 19:53
As long as I don't get told to take my Cruiser to Bathurst or something like that again... Bit of a kick in the guts for my first post on your forums as I asked the question on the Facebook page and then got told theres a Forum - go there and be ridiculed then go to another forum etc... Doesn't bode well for changing my expectations of forums.
AnswerID: 554714

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 20:33

Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 20:33
If you want agreeable comments, Ben, then you need to tell the whole story. People assume you are taking the wagon off-road, as you said nothing about the wagon being your tow vehicle.

What about talking to one of these performance workshops for the intake you'd like? Not real familiar with the 4.7 V8, but could you use some components from Supercheap to fabricate to your own design?

XR6T ute would be a good tow vehicle too. :-)

Good luck,
Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 840829

Follow Up By: Ben S14 - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2015 at 07:21

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2015 at 07:21
Yeah, you're right, Falcon's are a great tow car, you can buy mine if you'd like...

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Ford-Falcon-2003/SSE-AD-3380897/?Cr=10

I bought the Sahara as its replacement.
FollowupID: 840839

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2015 at 18:45

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2015 at 18:45
Ha ha, thanks for the offer, Ben. Already have an '06 XR6T with 200K on it. Just spent $3,600 on new springs/suspension bushes........and a new alternator.

Think I'll buy an STI........

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 840864

Reply By: Ben S14 - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2015 at 07:17

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2015 at 07:17
I asked for a POD filter Intake... Why do you need any other info...?

Just post a link to a POD filter intake.

I'll make it easy on you guys as you don't seem to be able to understand what I want without exact info - Copy and paste the below with a website address or a location that I can go to to get a POD Filter intake.

-:EXAMPLE:-

Ben, go to:
www._________________________.com

or the address for the store that can help is:

Hope this helps, thank you for your question.
AnswerID: 554724

Follow Up By: Slow one - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2015 at 19:57

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2015 at 19:57
Ben,
you are right and I shouldn't have mentioned Bathurst. Best of luck finding a pod mod for your vehicle.

If you wish to go down that track, you may have to design and construct your own pod modification. You can then decide if it was worth it.

FollowupID: 840869

Follow Up By: Ben S14 - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2015 at 22:46

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2015 at 22:46
Thank you, I feel like actually continuing to use this forum now... Like I said, this was my first post.
FollowupID: 840879

Sponsored Links